Getting a toddler to take HVBO/FCLO Blend - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My toddler mostly nurses, and I take the Cinnamon flavor from GP.  I feel like she needs to also be taking it directly.  Any tips?  Mixing it into something?  A different flavor perhaps?

Thanks!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#2 of 12 Old 12-15-2012, 08:25 PM

We do it two ways. My 3.5yo loves it with a shot of OJ and he's had it that way for about a year and a half. We use a shot glass with some OJ and squirt a syringe full of Cinnamon CLO into it and he drinks it. My husband and I take it that way too. I started my daughter as an infant with the orange flavor straight from the syringe - she takes it fine. I ran out of orange this fall, so I tried cinnamon with her from the syringe, and she likes it (20mo). I have started with a smaller amount since the cinnamon can be spicy (about 1/4tsp), and I have always made sure to have her take a drink of milk right after to help wash it down.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#3 of 12 Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM

My kids (6, 4, 2 & 1 yrs)  like the chocolate cream flavored blend. I just put it on a spoon and then pour a drop of honey or molasses over it and they love it. My 2yr old always asks for more. I just wish I liked taking my CLO as much as they do!

dalia likes this.

Wife to my True Love since 8/03, Mom to DS 9/06, DS 5/08, DD 6/10, DS 11/11, and one on the way!

#4 of 12 Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurl8203 View Post

My kids (6, 4, 2 & 1 yrs)  like the chocolate cream flavored blend. I just put it on a spoon and then pour a drop of honey or molasses over it and they love it. My 2yr old always asks for more. I just wish I liked taking my CLO as much as they do!

LOL!!!  i agree on that last line!

my kids (6, 4, 3 and 1 years) like the cinnamon.  they don't like the plain, but i bought that from a friend last time and just put a chocolate chip on top and they all line up and take it down.  same w/ the honey trick.  they ask for their FCLO every night as a 'treat', so i should try the chocolate cream sometimes, but i like cinnamon.  we do the FCLO/HVBO blend, so the texture is really hard for me!  but my 1 year old takes the unflavored PLAIN.   AND WANTS SECONDS.  she also just likes seafood and eats most any food.  

so funny to see another family w/ the same experience!  

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#5 of 12 Old 01-23-2013, 04:49 PM

My 4 year old has taken the cinnamon flavor FCLO/HVBO blend off a spoon for 2 years now-with a milk chaser. I just stick it next to him at breakfast and he licks it off the spoon, takes a drink of milk and that's that. He's never balked at it--I think starting early is the key.

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
#6 of 12 Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM

The whole family takes our HVBO/FCLO blend with dinner, although we take a pretty small amount.  We all get 1/4 teaspoon or so of honey afterwards and then dessert (usually fruit).   The cinnamon flavor has gone over much, much better than the chocolate flavor. 

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

#7 of 12 Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
My toddler HATES it. I put it on my nipples when he nurses; that's the only way to get any in him at all, and he balks even then. A few times he's willingly taken the cinnamon, but now he refuses, probably because I offered it to him too often (thanks a lot, counterwill!)

I add a little butter oil to his bone broth, which he thankfully loves.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#8 of 12 Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 AM

I have been buying the capsules- and my kids were taking that just fine- except my 4yo.  he insists on chewing it.  So I bought a bottle of the chocolate cream and he spit that right out.  Well I scooped it back up and gave him some water as a chaser and that worked just fine.  I did the same thing for my 2 yo and 8 mo.  Well the baby didn't have to have the chaser- she just slurped it down off the spoon.  

I would like all the kids to take the gel instead of those spend capsules....  Leave those for me...

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#9 of 12 Old 04-08-2013, 12:22 PM

My 4 year old and my 19 month old beg for their FCLO ! I fill the syringe first with some raw honey and then the FCLO and they love it ( cinnamon flavor). I try not to show my yucky face when I take bc I cannot stand the taste. I still can't get over how much they like it! :-)
#10 of 12 Old 05-08-2013, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Where do you all buy your HVBO/FCLO? I'm looking to start this with my family & I'm not sure if I can find this locally or if I need to order it online.

Also, is there a child's version or is the dosing just different for adults & children? Where can I find that information?

... Crossing my fingers DS will take it without complaint -- he loves taking his "vitamins" (probiotic & vitamin d in the winter & etc.) so I'm hoping he'll cooperate with this too.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#11 of 12 Old 05-23-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

t2009, we order from green pasture. 

I have recently had great luck making super simple smoothies (like PB & banana) and adding the unflavored fclo/bo blend.  I also put in a raw egg, raw milk and enough honey to mask the oil taste.  I was making more more complicated smoothies which were never big hits, then saw a pinterest pin for pb & banana smoothies and all of my kids beg for them for desserts even! how easy!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#12 of 12 Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks, root*children! And what a great idea with the smoothies! I'll be ordering some soon.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page