The Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Does anyone else here use blackstrap molasses for health reasons, not just for cooking? I learned from a naturopath last year that it is rich in iron (and calcium and potassium), and a deficiency in iron can lead to anger, so I have gotten in the habit of giving my children a teaspoon of it daily and me a big tablespoon.

countryangels likes this.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#2 of 18 Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I personally hadn't considered using it in a more medicinal sort of way but you're really peaked my interest. I did some quick searching and found, as you said that it's a good source of Iron and calcium as well. Another site said it's also high in potassium, magnesium, copper, and manganese. Do you take it straight or mix it with water or perhaps milk? I currently don't even hardly use it to cook with but I'm ordering some today and I think I'll start taking it now in place of a Pre-natal. Even though mine are whole food and organic I much prefer getting nutrients directly from food, rather than pills.

EARTH CLINIC'S ICED MOLASSES RECIPE:
1 TBLS Blackstrap Molasses
Hot Water
3/4 cup Milk or Coconut Milk
Ice

Crystal Marie
Aspire to decency. Practice civility toward one another. Admire and emulate ethical behavior wherever you find it. Apply a rigid standard of morality to your lives; and if, periodically, you fail – as you surely will – adjust your lives, not the standards.

#3 of 18 Old 12-18-2012, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I sometimes make warm milk with blackstrap for myself and my girls for the iron, but haven't done it regularly.  Thanks for the reminder, it is a nice winter beverage.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#4 of 18 Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

I take it straight - that's how I was shown by the naturopath. I pour it directly from the bottle onto the spoon and then spoon it everyone's mouth. Not the most sanitary but we're all family.

Thanks for the recipe, CrystalMarie. I hope this isn't a stupid question: do you do that in a pot on the stove or in the blender?

artemis33, do you mix the milk and blackstrap molasses together on the stove, then pour it into a cup or bowl and spoon it out? I am still very new to this so thanks for teaching me!

#5 of 18 Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 AM

Thanks Catholic Mama! I ordered more molasses thanks to this thread!

For the recipe, The hot water is to allow the Molasses to dissolve, so pour it into a cup or small pan but then you do the rest right in a glass or as I prefer it, in a blender. Either way it good. Blended drinks are my favorite! 

Crystal Marie
Aspire to decency. Practice civility toward one another. Admire and emulate ethical behavior wherever you find it. Apply a rigid standard of morality to your lives; and if, periodically, you fail – as you surely will – adjust your lives, not the standards.

#6 of 18 Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

You're welcome, I'm glad I could help! :)

Thanks for explaining how to do it. I might try it later if I have time, and if I have any more questions I'll come back and ask you.

#7 of 18 Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 AM

We love blackstrap molasses in our home.  I make molasses milk for the kids (just stir the molasses into raw milk) and I use it to sweeten my coffee.  I'll use small amounts of it in place of brown sugar, like in marinades and such.  When we ate oatmeal it was our go-to sweetener.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#8 of 18 Old 12-20-2012, 05:18 AM

We call it 'baby coffee' when we make it like Laz, using the molasses to make the milk the color of coffee.

Generally we prefer molasses nog, with raw milk and egg yolks, concentrace, vanilla, and sometimes a bit of nutritional yeast, shaken up in a mason jar until frothy.

#9 of 18 Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by provocativa View Post

We call it 'baby coffee' when we make it like Laz, using the molasses to make the milk the color of coffee.

Generally we prefer molasses nog, with raw milk and egg yolks, concentrace, vanilla, and sometimes a bit of nutritional yeast, shaken up in a mason jar until frothy.

That sounds good.  How much of each do you use?  I've been trying to sneak the concentrace on my kids and they can tell with only a drop or two in water.  They do love homemade eggnog and all things molasses, though.

Mom of three: DS 10/05, DD 01/08, and DD 02/10 Wife to a great guy ., wannabe homesteader, traditional foods geek, counselor and postpartum doula.
#10 of 18 Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM

I use about 1 Tbsp per cup of milk, but it varies.  I just stir it in until it make a nice brown color.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#11 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 PM

yum. thanks for the suggestion.

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#12 of 18 Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 PM

Wow, I forgot about molasses!  Baby coffee is the perfect thing to call it to make one of mine want some bad. But what is "concentrace?"

#13 of 18 Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

We love blackstrap molasses in our home.  I make molasses milk for the kids (just stir the molasses into raw milk) and I use it to sweeten my coffee.  I'll use small amounts of it in place of brown sugar, like in marinades and such.  When we ate oatmeal it was our go-to sweetener.

us too!  i didn't know about baby coffee or anything but my son was weaning and wouldn't take plain raw milk, so i threw in organic blackstrap molasses and he was happy as a clam.  all my kids have drunk 'molasses milk' and request it often.  it's a treat.  it's our go-to sweetener for our sourdough rice pancakes, quinoa cereal, milk, and even some baked goods.

my kids haven't ever shown signs of needing it for medicinal reasons, but when they get bags under their eyes, or constipated, we add a touch in for everyone.  so i guess we do medicinal w/out thinking of it as such as our food is always in flux w/ seasons and needs.

joy.gifSAHM and Holistic Health Counselor with  angel.gif 1/05, DS1 blahblah.gif 3/06, angel1.gif 5/07, DD1 dust.gif 3/08, DD2 thumbsuck.gif 11/09, DD3 energy.gif 4/11, and DS2 babyf.gif 2/13.  expecting a surprise stork-suprise.gif 8/14!
#14 of 18 Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM

We found a new use for blackstrap molasses this week:  electrolyte solution for vomiting/diarrhea. 

#15 of 18 Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

Does anyone else here use blackstrap molasses for health reasons, not just for cooking? I learned from a naturopath last year that it is rich in iron (and calcium and potassium), and a deficiency in iron can lead to anger, so I have gotten in the habit of giving my children a teaspoon of it daily and me a big tablespoon.

thumb.gif

#16 of 18 Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 PM

I forgot about molasses!  I took it quite a bit in my last pregnancy, and then, once warmer weather hit, I stopped.  I guess I need to get back on the wagon.

#17 of 18 Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM

Concentrace is a trace minerals supplement.  My kids rebel at it more than a few drops in water.  I put it in sauces, milk drinks, baked goods. 

#18 of 18 Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Oh! i love molasses! I do a elixir with yellow dock for extra extra iron. I love it! I add it to various milks, baked goods, or take it straight.

countryangels likes this.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page