Fruit, greens, veggies, eggs, honey, meat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is how I want to eat for my next pregnancy. I do best on diets that are simple. I was raw vegan/fruitarian for years until becoming pregnant with my first. Does anyone eat real simple like this? Just fruit, veggies, eggs, honey, meat? Like an ape...
#2 of 11 Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Yes, I do, but I don't eat sugar and I eat low-carb. I don't make recipes and I eat about 50% of my food raw, including meat and dairy. Breakfast lately has been some raw beef, several raw egg yolks and a handful of herbs.

My nutrient requirements will be different from yours due to my age, but in eating styles we are the same.

There is too much requirement for "non-foods" such as grains and sugars as well as out-of-season non-local products with a recipe-based diet. Also too much social engineering regarding food. I try to keep my relationship with food between me and the planet without a human persuader in the middle. Eating and food is sacred, IMO.

Best wishes for health and longevity

Puma

#3 of 11 Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 AM

I wish we just ate those foods :-).  We eat whole, real foods though... And if we eat grains, they are either soaked or sprouted.  I'm pretty content with that, and so is our health!

#4 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Don't think I'm cut out for the paleo type diet as I tried meat and got really sick. I've been veggie for awhile but wanted to try something new.
#5 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 PM

I was raw vegan for nearly two years and vegetarian before that. After having my first son I had to do things differently because he had food issues and I wasn't getting everything I needed. Also had teeth issues. Now I eat predominantly paleo with limited sugars as I don't do well with fructose. It took a while to introduce meats again but I found really good sources and started with broths before having any actual protein. Did the trick. I have never felt better. I don't do well with honey though. And we don't eat any night shades as my son and I have issues with them.

pumabearclan likes this.

Momma of an amazing little man on 3/16/10, pregnant with #2 due in June...married to the man of my dreams. Living in a little town in the rural world of New England and loving my life. <3

#6 of 11 Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

I have a similar history actually. 100% raw vegan for 4 years until I got pregnant the first time and couldn't even look at a banana without puking. Then I changed my diet and did more of a gluten free vegetarian thing. I'm still doing that but just wondering if traditional foods would be healthier. What kind of bones do you do bonebroth with?
#7 of 11 Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 AM

Lets see, it's been about 3 years almost! I had to transition slowly and make sure I found sources that met my ethical standards. I started with chicken bone broth. Depending on where you are you may be able to find a buying club. I started out with raw milk and bone broths. I have to say, I have seen a huge improvement in my health and also found out that part of the reason I relapsed into health issues if I had one tiny slip was because I didn't get all my "issue" foods out with the raw vegan. I have problems with all night shades (good lord I loved goji's, can't tolerate them or tomatoes), corn and soy pretty much across the board (can't tolerate meats fed soy or industry corn...but that was a later discovery), legumes, most grains, banana's (until recently anyway, too high sugar for me) or broccoli (it tears me up but I've been pregnant or nursing since I've noticed this issue). I went really slow. I did the raw cheeses and stuff, that's something I craved and it turns out neither my son nor I can tolerate very well. It's getting better as I heal. We also did a stint where we did all our own sour dough and I ground everything (more gadgets - which incidentally I still use now for different purposes as well as my vitamix and Excalibur).

I did chicken first, then pork and about six months later started beef. I listened to my body and after starting the dairy (mostly fermented) the rest just kinda came. I also started eggs in there with the chicken and pork. Mostly yolks at first (and I would highly advise starting that way - think of it as you've been on a very detoxing diet and you are adding stuff back in - a lot of people have issue with the white but not the yolk especially if there is an underlying health issue...which I had and that's why I went vegan in the first place). If I remember correctly I started CRAVING pork...bacon. I think my healthy fat stores were so depleted but have no 'proof' of this. The beef didn't come till October and I started in March. I also started eating fatty fish pretty early on. I craved it. Since I never was off the grains I didn't think much of keeping those in.

We had lots of issues with my nursling son. Constipation from 3 months on, eczema, behavioral issues and sleep issues. We tried GAPS, SCD and the regular WAPF diet. None worked in their entirety. We started doing paleo without realizing that's what we were doing. I have been actually healing because I can now have an oops and not relapse. But we've been doing this over a year now. I rely a lot on blogs for inspiration or I get in a rut. Especially with an almost 3 year old. We just started making coconut yogurt and he loves it. I get a lot of grass fed gelatin in him now. I also have a great child oriented cook book and a few others.

Blogs I rely highly on are (no particular order):

UrbanPoser

Mommypotamus

PaleoParents (Eat Like a Dinosaur)

The Paleo Mom

The Primal Parent

Less so:

Food Renegade

CheeseSlave (I get annoyed with some of her practices)

The Healthy Home Economist (she's also a bit preachy for me but has a ton of valuable information and is very knowledgeable)

Marks Daily Apple (go to if I need something random but don't frequent)

And then I also utilize the WAPF quite often still. I also have a membership to Health Thyself but hardly ever use it. I have it for research purposes.

I would advise starting with chicken bone broth. Beef bone broth is STRONG.

As an interesting point, I was never able to digest red meat before going vegan (ate industry meat). Since starting my traditional food journey, I adore red meat but strictly humanely raised & grass fed and I prefer goat to beef generally. Sorry so long, hope that helps!

countryangels likes this.

Momma of an amazing little man on 3/16/10, pregnant with #2 due in June...married to the man of my dreams. Living in a little town in the rural world of New England and loving my life. <3

#8 of 11 Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenVariety View Post

Lets see, it's been about 3 years almost! I had to transition slowly and make sure I found sources that met my ethical standards. I started with chicken bone broth. Depending on where you are you may be able to find a buying club. I started out with raw milk and bone broths. I have to say, I have seen a huge improvement in my health and also found out that part of the reason I relapsed into health issues if I had one tiny slip was because I didn't get all my "issue" foods out with the raw vegan. I have problems with all night shades (good lord I loved goji's, can't tolerate them or tomatoes), corn and soy pretty much across the board (can't tolerate meats fed soy or industry corn...but that was a later discovery), legumes, most grains, banana's (until recently anyway, too high sugar for me) or broccoli (it tears me up but I've been pregnant or nursing since I've noticed this issue). I went really slow. I did the raw cheeses and stuff, that's something I craved and it turns out neither my son nor I can tolerate very well. It's getting better as I heal. We also did a stint where we did all our own sour dough and I ground everything (more gadgets - which incidentally I still use now for different purposes as well as my vitamix and Excalibur).

I did chicken first, then pork and about six months later started beef. I listened to my body and after starting the dairy (mostly fermented) the rest just kinda came. I also started eggs in there with the chicken and pork. Mostly yolks at first (and I would highly advise starting that way - think of it as you've been on a very detoxing diet and you are adding stuff back in - a lot of people have issue with the white but not the yolk especially if there is an underlying health issue...which I had and that's why I went vegan in the first place). If I remember correctly I started CRAVING pork...bacon. I think my healthy fat stores were so depleted but have no 'proof' of this. The beef didn't come till October and I started in March. I also started eating fatty fish pretty early on. I craved it. Since I never was off the grains I didn't think much of keeping those in.

We had lots of issues with my nursling son. Constipation from 3 months on, eczema, behavioral issues and sleep issues. We tried GAPS, SCD and the regular WAPF diet. None worked in their entirety. We started doing paleo without realizing that's what we were doing. I have been actually healing because I can now have an oops and not relapse. But we've been doing this over a year now. I rely a lot on blogs for inspiration or I get in a rut. Especially with an almost 3 year old. We just started making coconut yogurt and he loves it. I get a lot of grass fed gelatin in him now. I also have a great child oriented cook book and a few others.

Blogs I rely highly on are (no particular order):

UrbanPoser

Mommypotamus

PaleoParents (Eat Like a Dinosaur)

The Paleo Mom

The Primal Parent

Less so:

Food Renegade

CheeseSlave (I get annoyed with some of her practices)

The Healthy Home Economist (she's also a bit preachy for me but has a ton of valuable information and is very knowledgeable)

Marks Daily Apple (go to if I need something random but don't frequent)

And then I also utilize the WAPF quite often still. I also have a membership to Health Thyself but hardly ever use it. I have it for research purposes.

I would advise starting with chicken bone broth. Beef bone broth is STRONG.

As an interesting point, I was never able to digest red meat before going vegan (ate industry meat). Since starting my traditional food journey, I adore red meat but strictly humanely raised & grass fed and I prefer goat to beef generally. Sorry so long, hope that helps!

Hi GV,

You are such a wealth of information, thank you so much!thumb.gif I learn so much from your posts!

By the way could you please give me the coconut yogurt recipe, how to? That sounds awesome.

Thanks so much, you are an inspiration orngbiggrin.gif

#9 of 11 Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 AM

Glad my posts help someone :-) The link for the coconut milk yogurt that I follow roughly is below. I use grass fed gelatin (great lakes brand that I get on amazon because of the price). I do use my Excalibur to ferment for near 36 hours at 105 or so degrees. I use about 3 Tbsp of gelatin per 1/2 gallon I believe. And I use maple syrup to sweeten.

http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/04/25/homemade-coconut-milk-yogurt/

Good Luck!

countryangels likes this.

#10 of 11 Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenVariety View Post

Glad my posts help someone :-) The link for the coconut milk yogurt that I follow roughly is below. I use grass fed gelatin (great lakes brand that I get on amazon because of the price). I do use my Excalibur to ferment for near 36 hours at 105 or so degrees. I use about 3 Tbsp of gelatin per 1/2 gallon I believe. And I use maple syrup to sweeten.

http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/04/25/homemade-coconut-milk-yogurt/

Good Luck!

Thanks so much, this is so helpful!:)

I will check it out.

I can't wait to make coconut yogurt & taste it! :)

#11 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

OP, I wanted to eat like that for my pregnancy (as well as raw dairy), but after morning sickness hit it was all I could do to even eat ANYTHING, let alone the very healthy stuff that I knew I needed to be eating.  I felt so guilty for awhile, but finally realized that- At least I am eating!  I literally would have eaten nothing if I could have I felt so horrible.  So I ate my share of sourdough bread, rice pasta, sprouted english muffins and organic ice cream....  Those were actually the things that appealed to me, I was repulsed by meat, which makes so sense to me, although I forced myself to eat a little every day :/  Anyway, now that the sickness is fading I'm working on getting back to that diet, its much easier in the summer when my garden (and many other local gardens) are producing and there is an abundance of raw milk!!

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page