repacking kraut - adding brine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-31-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

When I make saurkraut, I pack it really tight, so tight that the cabbage juice is the only liquid that I need to cover it in liquid. Then, by the time I ferment it for months, there's not a whole lot of liquid left. When I repack it to put it in the fridge, it's hard to repack it so tightly and repack it every time I take some out so that it minimizes exposure to air. Is it possible to add some sort of brine in the repacking process? How would you go about doing that? Ratios? Would you ferment it in the brine for a bit to make the brine more probiotic?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I definitely would not add more brine after you've already fermented.  Are you really pounding the cabbage?  I only use what juice I get from the cabbage when I make kraut as well, and I generally get a lot of juice, but I only ferment on the counter for a week.  You could also try packing it into smaller jars.  When I buy locally made feremented kraut, the jars are pretty small, packed really tight, and have very little brine.  Obviously, the smaller the jar, the faster you'll go through it, minimizing the exposure to air.  My only other thought would be to make sure you really drain the kraut well when you take some out to eat it.  

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

#3 of 3 Old 02-08-2013, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I also would not recommend adding brine if you don't have to. I did it once during fermentation & it basically stopped fermenting on the 2nd day that I added the brine (I added it twice).

On a related note, I added brine because I thought that the cabbage needed to be covered in liquid during fermentation. If that's accurate you may need to add bride earlier in the process. I would think the liquid would be more important while its out on the counter & less so when you refrigerate.

Of course, if you want liquid during refrigeration, you can always drain & rinse if you're not happy with the result. I think you can do that in any case.

In any case, the ratio to use is about 1 teaspoon of salt for every cup of water, accoding to Sandor Katz: http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sauerkraut-2/

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page