WAPF pregnancy diet while nursing - Mothering Forums

WAPF pregnancy diet while nursing

dalia's Avatar dalia (TS)
09:31 PM Liked: 28938
#1 of 13
02-01-2013 | Posts: 1,969
Hello all! It's been ages since I posted here. I have an extremely strong suspicion I am pregnant though it's too early to test (I have been pregnant twice before so I know how it feels). I am still nursing my 3 1/2 year old. I feel completely and totally exhausted, and sometimes dizzy and nauseous. I am trying very hard to get everything I need from the WAPF pregnancy diet but I still feel incredibly drained. It's making me feel like I should wean, but I can't just do cold turkey for him or for me. I did end up getting a raw food prenatal to help. And I have fermented cod liver and butter oil arriving tomorrow. Any other suggestions? I feel like I am always hungry. I am a bit overweight and had diabetes my last pregnancy and don't want to go that route again but I cannot stop eating!!! Any suggestions appreciated. :-)
Jennakay12's Avatar Jennakay12
10:43 AM Liked: 0
#2 of 13
02-02-2013 | Posts: 4

Honestly, losing weight has a lot to do with what you're eating and more important NOT eating. You should check out this article that contains 5 foods you should completely avoid to lose weight. Helped me a lot and they mention that you don't even need diet pills to lose the weight. http://foodstonevereat.blogspot.com

02:06 PM Liked: 28938
#3 of 13
02-02-2013 | Posts: 1,969
Thank you, Jennakay12. I will definitely check that article out. I don't really want to Los weight, I just don't want to gain too much like I did last pregnancy. I was 100 over weight by the time my son was born. I gained 60 lbs and had some complications. Don't want to do that again. I'm eating traditional foods and taking a raw prenatal. I guess I'm just worried that I'm still not getting enough and looking for some guidelines or suggestions specifically for those breastfeeding during pregnancy while following the WAPF diet.
CookAMH's Avatar CookAMH
08:12 PM Liked: 106
#4 of 13
02-02-2013 | Posts: 4,455

What do you generally eat during the day?  Did you feel drained before this possible pregnancy? Fatigue is a symptom of a variety of things, but one thing that comes to mind is assessing your magnesium levels.  Here's a good link. This woman isn't my authority on some things, but she does have some good stuff on magnesium. http://www.cheeseslave.com/are-you-suffering-from-magnesium-deficiency/

Magnesium aside, I think women in general find it challenging to restore their nutrient levels following pregnancy and nursing, and if you nurse up to and through another pregnancy without building those stores, you can definitely feel it. A WAPF diet will give you those nutrients when a SAD diet will not...so perhaps taking a look at what you eat most days might help.

09:40 PM Liked: 28938
#5 of 13
Well, I drank lots of raw milk today and also some FCLO with butter oil and I felt sooooooo much better today. Yesterday was awful. Looks like the WAPF diet says no prenatals but I will have to stick to my raw prenatals. I think I just need something extra. Thank you for the link on magnesium. I will check that out right now...
09:52 PM Liked: 28938
#6 of 13
Oh, and CookAMH, I did not feel drained at all until this possible pregnancy. Yesterday, I was just drained to the bone. It happened when I was pregnant with my son but didn't feel quite this drastic. The dizziness was really scaring me. But I do think this diet is helping me tremendously. However it can get kind of lonely and confusing, because information is not as readily available..
CookAMH's Avatar CookAMH
09:40 PM Liked: 106
#7 of 13
02-03-2013 | Posts: 4,455

Have you considered having iron levels checked? I don't know a lot about anemia, so someone else could jump in, but it seems like those feelings could be a symptom.  Do you feel like you're getting adequate fat, carbs and protein?  I found a liquid B complex taken daily in the morning seemed to help energy some. I took this one http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Bounty-Vitamin-Complex-Sublingual/dp/B001G7QPC8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359952791&sr=8-2&keywords=b+sublingual

11:12 PM Liked: 28938
#8 of 13
02-03-2013 | Posts: 1,969
I actually have some b-12 and b-complex injections. It has magnesium as well. But I'm following WAPF and it says no synthetic vitamins so I was holding off and just eating really nutrient dense foods. I'm a little confused with what to do. I just want to do the right thing.
CookAMH's Avatar CookAMH
10:25 PM Liked: 106
#9 of 13
02-06-2013 | Posts: 4,455

We follow WAPF, but not to a T by any means and we make allowances as our discretion leads us.  Something to consider is if you had a lifetime of eating WAPF, then the stores in your body should be perfect for handling a pregnancy. It's not a perfect world though, and there are years and years of less than stellar eating that a couple years, months or weeks on WAPF isn't going to fix so fast.  The health benefits from WAPF are cumulative and combined after eating for some time. It could be warranted to take synthentic for the short term to give your body what it needs while you're working on adding in all those nutrient dense foods, if you find yourself unable to eat what's needed to get it all from your food.  Just my two cents.

04:59 PM Liked: 28938
#10 of 13
02-18-2013 | Posts: 1,969
CookAHM, thank you very much. Sorry I'm just now getting back to you. I am pregnant as I suspected. :-D My hunger is pretty intense but is calming down a little and I am focusing on getting lots of nutrition. I decided to take a whole foods prenatal vitamin and it feels good. And I'm drinking a ton of raw milk. I won't be telling my OBGYN that, though! LOL
I thank you all for your help and support.
CookAMH's Avatar CookAMH
11:18 PM Liked: 106
#11 of 13
02-18-2013 | Posts: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post
 And I'm drinking a ton of raw milk. I won't be telling my OBGYN that, though! LOL

You better not! Haha.

luckiest's Avatar luckiest
01:40 PM Liked: 519
#12 of 13
03-27-2013 | Posts: 862
I don't think anyone yet mentioned that all the extra progesterone you're making will cause extreme fatigue, and there's not a whole lot to be done about that except rest.

Magnesium (as well as B6, B12, and vitamin D for absorption) is KEY to preventing morning sickness.

http://www.mommypotamus.com/the-real-cause-of-morning-sickness/

And if you start having aversions to fatty/savory foods, it's likely an indicator that you need more cholesterol.

The WAPF-approved prenatal vitamin is one called Catalyn (and/or Cataplex) which is made by Standard Process. You have to order through a practitioner of some kind (like a chiropractor).
02:35 PM Liked: 28938
#13 of 13
03-27-2013 | Posts: 1,969
I feel way better now though I still have my days/moments. I ended up with a total aversion to anything that isn't carbo to the max, so every morning I make a shake with a bit of fruit, avocado, kale, raw milk, yogurt, chia seeds, coconut oil and protein powder. This has helped me immensely.
Tags: Traditional Foods
Reply Subscribe Traditional Foods