Possible high lead exposure due to bone broth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-09-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Anyone read this? 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23375414

I can't quite decide how to feel about it. I really haven't had a chance in the past few days to do much besides work, so I haven't been able to research who funded the study and the methodology, but it concerns me. I'm considering having dd tested for lead exposure for the first time- we've never done it before because she didn't have any risk factors.

Here's a rebuttal as well from Chris Kresser. While I find it vaguely reassuring, it still doesn't make me feel completely at ease. 

http://chriskresser.com/bone-broth-and-lead-toxicity-should-you-be-concerned

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. :)

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I read the abstract for the article, the full text is $30 some. I also read Chris Kresser's response. I have done a bit of research on the authors and here is what I found.

All three authors work for a private medical clinic, Breakspear Medical Group in the UK specializing in the treatment of allergies and environmental illnesses.

Dr. Jean A Monro is the medical director of the group who has a personal vested interest in treatment of environmental illness. (Don't confuse her with the JA Monro that works for a major New Zealand Agri-Corporation! I did at first and was developing a whole conspiracy theory about the study.)

Professor Basant Puri is a part-time researcher and consultant with the group.

Ron Leon is the clinical nutritionist manager.

Here is a link to the website: http://www.breakspearmedical.com/

From what I can tell, they are earnestly concerned with helping people treat afflictions such as celiacs, autism, IBS, chronic fatigue syndrome, and much more. The company is family owned and operated by the director Jean Monro and her (brothers?). They have also set up a fund to help low-income people receive treatment for allergies and env. illnesses. Here is a quote from the "history" section of their website:

Quote:
Dr Monro's areas of special interest undoubtably were influenced by her personal life. Her husband suffered migraine, Coeliac Disease and symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) later in life.  Her two sons have Coeliac Disease, and had early childhood eczema and experience migraine.  Wanting to find the best treatments for her family drove her to carry out research into micro-nutrition and treatment of allergies involving thorough investigation into the chemical building blocks vital to the efficient functioning of the human body. (Some examples of these essential building blocks are vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, essential fatty acids, and bioflavinoids.)

They seem to value alternative and nutritional approaches to treatment. They have doctors, an acupuncturist, and clinical nutritionists on staff.

That is all I came up with so far. I am not yet convinced to throw the bone broth out with the bath water. I thought Chris Kresser's response was well reasoned, but I guess I do not feel completely at ease either. I think that my next step might be to write to Alister Monro, Managing Director, directly. Maybe he can shed light on the funding for the study or how they will incorporate the finding into their own clinical recommendations. But I am out of time for now!

Maybe together we can keep tabs on this issue and continue research into the nuts and bolts of the original study. It could be helpful to know how the study was funded and gather a bit more information about lead poisoning levels. It is definitely a topic worth following as many of us religiously make and consume bone broth.

Its my super DH superhero.gif, my lovely DD jog.gif(11/15/11), ferocious Future Cat, and myself read.gif

familybed1.gif

#3 of 3 Old 02-11-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just chiming in to say that getting my DD tested for lead levels was fairly easy. She had it done around 14 months (slightly elevated) and retested at 21 months or so. We live in an old neighbourhood and our incoming water is delivered via lead piping. We went to a lab experienced with babies and young children and they were very quick and efficient. She cried of course but a couple of minutes of nursing in the waiting room had her right as rain. In fact she was laughing and saying bye bye to everyone. I don't know anything about this study but just wanted to say that we had a very good experience doing bloodwork even though I was petrified of doing it. I just wanted to post so any mamas concerned and considering getting LOs tested can feel a little reassured. Sorry if this is OT.

Tags
Traditional Foods

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page