Help me prepare my muesli - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I have recently started soaking our muesli and love the taste - but am wondering whether i am doing it right?

I have bein mixing rolled oats, almond flakes, flax seeds, raisins, coconut  flakes, somtimes crumbled walnuts, sunflower seeds, whatever i feel like, and soaking it in whole milk overnight in the fridge.

Then I read that rolled oats do not have enough phytase left to break up harmful phytates so added a dollop of sour cream - even yummier. But does it work that way? or should I add some rolled wheat? We do not have gluten sensitivity in our family that we know of but I would loke to do "low gluten" if you get what i mean.

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Bumping up for more input!  bump.gif

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

We don't make museli but do eat oatmeal porrige for our go-to breakfast.

I also read that oats do not have enough phytase to eliminate or effectively break down the phytates. What I also read is that adding rye flakes (which do have a lot more phytase) to the rolled oats can help alot during soaking. So that's what I've done.

I don't have any ratios for you. Probably somewhere around 25% rye flakes, but that's just us.

When I make steel cut oats, I sometimes add buckwheat groats which have a similar texture & also have a lot more of the phytase. Rye will add gluten but the buckwheat will not.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, that is a great idea. I will try to find buckwheat groats.

I read that 10% rolled wheats will do the trick, but that wouldn't keep it gluten free. I'd just like a few gluten free breakfast foods to counterbalance the sourdough wholtegrain spelt and rye bread we have recently started buying  - super yummy but so yummy that it just kinda appears to eat itself the way we go through the loaves.I have been using my own whole buckwheat flour/almond flour/crushed flax seeds/arrowroot mix for pancakes and it is very yummy too...

Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You should be soaking the grains & nuts, warm water, and acid (couple TBS yogurt, kefir, whey, or lemon juice or apple cider vinegar - I recommend yogurt) overnight on the counter (not in the fridge). Then in the morning, mix in the rest of your ingredients, add a little more yogurt for flavor and something sweet or grated apple, or both. This is the traditional Swiss way of making it. We usually use the juice of one lemon the night before, but we also use yogurt always with the muesli. We do not add extra milk, especially if you've been soaking in warm water overnight. 

This is the best way to eliminate the phytic acid.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:16 PM

PS: We use traditionally rolled oats (not the quick kind) and getting organic and rolling your own is the best option, but if you can't do that, just use the "Old Fashioned" store bought kind and let it soak overnight. I put it in a bowl and rest a plate over the top of it to keep the gnats out, but let the air circulate.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mountainsrping - i just put two bowls of yoghurt soaked muesli on the counter. Interesting to see how sour it will be. I shall want to add milk because I like it "runny", my husband may like it pasty. I felt that soaking works like a natural sweetener.

You seem very experienced -any thoughts on why milk and creme fraiche would not work as well as water-with-yoghurt? As I am still EBFing our youngest, I have this yearning for dairy fats in the morning...

Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 PM

I bet it is fine to use the milk or creme freche if you have it. I think we would use water over milk to soak..mainly because it makes the milk & yogurt last a bit longer...if you have plenty of good milk, it should be fine. =) 

Old 03-13-2013, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

I tried it the way you described it with yoghurt, adding a bit of milk in the morning, and it was super yummy, creamy and sweet - so no need for the creme fraiche any more! That's a good thought, trying to make fresh milk last longer, especially as I have started buying from the healthfood store and avoid ultrapasteurized now. Not so easy to find room in the fridge for all the new stuff I am getting.

My husband loved it too, but complained he would have liked to eat more than half of his share - you recommended to set it on the counter and rest a plate over the top of it to keep the gnats out, but it wasn't enough to keep the cats out! lol.gif

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List