Baby's first food - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I am new to this page, and joined because my first baby is about eight weeks old, and the prospect of solids is looming ahead. All I hear about from anyone is rice cereal. My pediatrician said that I don't have to give it, but it is what is most recommended. It seems totally counter intuitive to me to make my child's first solid food a processed substance. I feel much more comfortable starting her with veggies and fruits, And perhaps more natural complex carbohydrates. Has anyone else run into this conflict? If so, what did you start feeding your baby and when?
darwinNJ likes this.
#2 of 9 Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM

Yes, yes, yes. Rice cereal is nutritionally void. Check out the white out campaign to educate parents on the pitfalls of it all together. Also, world health organization recommends to wait until 6 mos to start solids. I used baby led weaning and gave my twins food off my plate from 6 mos to begin to play with. Eventually they put it in their mouths. They've been in control since day 1 and are now eating a nice variety of foods as they approach two years old. Check it out if your intetested in another option for feeding! Message me if you want more info wink1.gif

Momma of twins born in May, 2011. 32 weekers. Loving every minute. Breastfeeding still going strong as toddlers after crazy rocky beginning with bottle feeding in NICU for a month. Would love to share any information about how we made it to breastfeeding today with anyone in need of support  

#3 of 9 Old 03-12-2013, 03:56 AM

Yep, we skipped the cereals altogether. Started with avocado, good meat stock, homemade yogurt, and whatever well-cooked veggies we were having. Put butter in everything! Nourishing traditions recommends warmed egg yolk and raw frozen liver as first foods. I wasn't ready for that just yet, but did do some hard-boiled pastured egg yolk with dd.

Liberal Christian pastor, wife, mother to daughter Vicki, and mother to baby coming 5/13.  

First birth:  hospital with midwife.  Hoping for homebirth with #2!  Bradley Method, Brewer Diet.  

Brewer Diet recipes: http://pastorandbartender.blogspot.com/p/recipes.html

#4 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 PM

Excellent that you're already looking into this when your baby is so young!  In addition to rice cereal offering no real nutrition, you may not want to expose your young first time eater to rice, which we've recently learned may be contaminated with arsenic (you may be able to find an article by Consumer Reports and or/NY Times about this).

I also tried baby-led weaning (BLW), which is recommended only at 6 months, mixed with my own simple purees.  To give an example of how we started BLW, I lightly steamed a 1/2 carrot so that it was still hard, and he was able to gnaw at it, getting the flavor and texture of the food.  As he got older and his chewing skills improved, we experimented with more foods which were larger than his fist to ensure that it wasn't a choking hazard.   

A friend with 3 children gave me the best advice ever, which was to start with veggies before fruits because most children may prefer the sweetness of the fruit and then may not give the veggies a chance.  So we started with carrots, potatoes, broccoli, avocado,...then went for the traditional fruits.  Blueberries later became  his staple food every day for over a year and my poor in-laws in Germany had a hard time finding fresh organic blueberries in season during one of our visits, though we survived! :)

In Germany my MIL introduced me to baby millet, which is so nutritious as a carb, as is amarynth (sp!)  You may be able to find baby-friendly recipes for these online.  However, I remember not having to worry too much at the start about complex carbs since their main nutrition would still be breast or formula milk at that age.

My now 2 year old has an amazing appetite and appreciates flavors like curry (Indian and Thai), Persian saffron, Mexican, and homemade whole wheat pizza.  I still haven't introduced him to unnaturally sweetened foods so it's a problem at play dates where kids have chocolate chip cookies in their snack bins, but all my mommy friends know to ask me before offering my guy.

I think I've ranted on and haven't had a chance to edit, so apologies in advance and let me know if you have any questions! 

#5 of 9 Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, baby led weaning.

Here's a website: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

Here's a book: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Led-Weaning-Essential-Introducing-Confident/dp/161519021X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364451919&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+led+solids

My son's first solids that he actually ingested were at 7.5 months. He ate the insides of several samosas at an Indian buffet.

My daughter desperately wanted to eat solids at 4.5 months (I remember her stealing a pizza crust.) I held her off until 5.5 months but I just couldn't get her to wait longer. She is a VERY determined, take charge child that will not take no for an answer. I finally gave in and gave her avocado. Within a week she was eating half an avocado at a sitting.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM

So cute with the avocado, SundayCrepes!  Ironically that is one of the first foods that I had MASHED for him and he almost choked on it, turning purple and all, I guess b/c I didn't mash it enough!  Very scary...  So after that I gave it to him in larger chunks and now he is an addict! :)

#7 of 9 Old 03-28-2013, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckny View Post

So cute with the avocado, SundayCrepes!  Ironically that is one of the first foods that I had MASHED for him and he almost choked on it, turning purple and all, I guess b/c I didn't mash it enough!  Very scary...  So after that I gave it to him in larger chunks and now he is an addict! :)

Yes, bigger seems to be better. Something they can hold onto and gnaw.

LoveDiva likes this.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#8 of 9 Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 PM

http://www.mommypotamus.com/lp/order-nourished-baby-book/

http://holisticsquid.com/3-first-foods-that-your-baby-needs/

We started with avocado, banana, melon, squash. . .all BLW style, just big chunks she could grab and hold. It's amazing to see them take control on this and learn so much through discovering food, not just having the spoon shoved at them. They learn hand-eye cooirdination, they learn about self-regulation, they learn what food is slippery, squishy, hard, soft, wet, dry. I love the Baby led Weaning book, but it does emphasize grains I found (not rice cereal, but a lot of bread), which we try to keep minimum, Babies really can't digest grains well until 12m anyway. Much better to start them on other foods, and as long as they are BF on demand, they are eating to learn and discover and enjoy not for their nutrition when they are under 12m anyway.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#9 of 9 Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 AM

I add my vote for BLW, it's really messy though and people around me found it weird that I was not feeding her myself.

The very first thing she ever had was a mango seed. It still had flesh on it and she had a  blast with it. I think she was 5 months old? At around 6.5 months, we'd put her next to us on the table and put some of our food in front of her and a spoon. No bread/wheat though. Eventually she figured out on her own how to use a spoon, a fork, plate, a sippy cup.  By one year old, she was having proper meals by herself that she ate with a spoon.  I never bought any cereal and rarely cooked anything special for her. It was so relaxing (minus the mess of clean up).  Right now she has quite the sweet-tooth that I have to keep in check, still she is a very adventurous eater (eats calf liver, sardines whole, LOVES pickles, olives especially those with anchovy paste - that's her snack, muscles, and my favorite, licks sharp mustard off a spoon!) So all in all I absolutely loved BLW and I plan on doing it again with our baby next year.

I just want to add I know BLW is not for everyone but my take from it is skip all those boxed cereal and start with veggies, and also with the food what you yourselves are eating. That's what my (didn't-know-better) Grandma did for all 8 of her children: put a plate of whatever she was serving her kids and mash it with a fork then feed her baby - spices and all.

Mama to my little Lily luxlove.gif (09/2010), and a sweet baby boy joy.gif (12/2012)

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page