Kombucha recipes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas,

I started making kombucha a few months ago with great success. I have recently stopped because sadly, I don't like the taste! It's just too vinegar-y for me especially since I became pregnant and I resist gagging these days trying to drink it. So now I have a few sad bottles just sitting in my fridge.

I usually make it the Cultures for Health way (the video tutorial is awesome), a mix of black and green tea for milder flavor. I've mixed in ginger, apple juice and grape and have not found a combo I like.

Can you experienced kombucha brewers give me a good recipe and how you make it taste awesome? My daughter loves it (the store bought kind) and so would my DH if it didn't taste like vinegar.

TIA! Can't wait to see some good ideas here!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#2 of 6 Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM

Have you tried not fermenting it as long? Taste it every day until it's where you want it.

I have flavored mine by putting it in jars or bottles (after it's gotten to where you enjoy the taste) and then adding in fruit- citrus, berries, ginger, etc and putting an airtight lid and keeping it in the fridge at least a day before drinking.

#3 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I think after 7 days you start checking. Maybe I should brew just green tea, would this improve flavor? I'm a total noob.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#4 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM

I haven't brewed it in green tea because I've read that it doesn't brew well. I have heard you can do a 50/50 mix of black and green for a lighter flavor, maybe try that? I bet Jasmine green tea would be really good! I'd like to try that!!

#5 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 PM

I prefer it fermented for 10 days and not much longer. Try it with just black tea, no green tea.

I end up putting more juice in to make it a little sweeter. Mine isn't very vinegary but there are still cultures in there. I like grape, apricot and pineapple flavors the best.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 6 Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 AM

I tried a lemongrass tea kombucha, it was really good, but I think that makes it not a pure kombucha becuase it isn't green or black tea. Anyway, keep most of your scobys regular, but pull one off and try it with a different kind of tea. But don't mix them up afterwards, you don't want to 'contaminate' (ie bring in weird flavors) to your traditional scobys.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page