Evaluating a Raw Milk Dairy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm thinking about making the switch to raw milk, and there appear to be several options where I live--farms an hour or more away with drop-off locations in my city. I've only just begun researching this. I know everyone says how important it is to know where your raw milk is coming from, to visit the farm and see how it is run, etc., but what specifically should I be looking for or verifying?

I read in a thread from quite a while back that some dairies test their milk, but I think that was referring to a state where raw milk is totally legal and regulated. Do some dairies test milk even if they aren't required to? Should I be looking for that? I just called one farm to check on their prices and also asked if they test their milk; they said no, not apart from just making sure the cows aren't sick. In my state, it is illegal to sell raw milk in retail stores but legal for farms to sell it to individuals, so I don't know if any farms test their milk around here.

Within the practices of small family farms, are there better and worse practices that I should be aware of?

#2 of 4 Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I am curious abut this also. Anyone know?

#3 of 4 Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Not too sure but we buy raw milk from my sister's farm and here's what I've noticed: They clean the cow's teats with soap and water thoroughly before milking. Cows roam all day in a field that is not sprayed at all. My sister's family drinks the milk so they trust it. She sterilizes the jars before filling them. They have 3 cows and 1 calf who all have names and my sister talk about them lovingly like they have real personalities smile.gif I'm sure they do but it's still cute:) The barn where they sleep is cleaned regularly.

Basically, clean (as clean as a farm can get, those places can seem pretty messy to suburban people like me!), sanitary practices, and friendly to the animals. Hope that helps!

Me: lady.gif Sarah, married to: geek.gif J, mommy to: happytears.gif C (8/10) and rolleyes.gif E (11/12)

#4 of 4 Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM

Yeah, you want to make sure they have good practices and are clean, care about the animals, etc.  You probably want to know if they are 100% grassfed with access to pastures, and if they aren't what else they are eating and how much.  I think some farms do regular testing and others don't.  I would take into account the reputation of the farm too - are there a lot of satisfied customers? Do the owners seem to respond well to their customers? Do they drink their own milk?? If there are other farms in the area (even if they aren't close enough for you) try talking to them so that you can get a feel for more than one place and see if your comfort level with your local farm is better or worse.  HTH!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page