Cooking with red vs white wine? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use locally made organic red wine in cooking, but we recently had a major change in financial situation, and the white wine by this brand is quite a bit cheaper, sooooo, whats the difference when cooking?  I use it when making different sauces and such, and just have never used white wine in cooking so dont even know what to expect :)  And dont want to end up ruining dinner because I used a wine that was terrible with that recipe lol!  Any thoughts? 

#2 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 AM

I tend to use red wine for making stews and sauces for red meat. But I use white wine more often, and that goes into fish sauces, gravy and cream sauces. It all depends on what you're cooking at the time. I think white wine can be used in a lot more things than red; you wouldn't want red wine in a cream sauce, and I'm not sure it would go so well with fish either.

#3 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I think you would have to be very careful if you substitute white wine for red in a recipe because the entire flavour profile of the dish would be tuned with the red wine. Reds tend to be heartier and have a stronger flavour. The herbs and spices are probably stronger or bolder too. They would probably need adjusting if you used a white instead of a red. 

#4 of 4 Old 04-01-2013, 06:42 AM

Consider using organic beef stock or an unsweetened juice in the recipe. Google search for red wine alternatives with the recipe or ingrediants your using. A combo of beef broth & red wine vinegar may work or an unsweetended grape, cranberry or pomegrante juice could give you the flavor your looking for. I don't think substituting white wine in place of red will work the way you'd like.

A Google recipe search should come up with a few dishes to try with the white wine. The winery website may also have a few suggestions for cooking with their wines.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page