"No Knead Bread" variations? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let me first just say for the record...

rocks.jpg

I found this recipe with a simple search for "bread" here in the traditional foods forum. I cannot believe I'd never heard of this technique. Maybe it's a good thing I found it just last night. My first loaf is half gone! ROTFLMAO.gif

Here's the recipe I used: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=0

I just assumed I'd muck it up somehow and it'd taste like a solid brick of cooked flour. This is how most of my bread experiments turn out. My DH was severely annoyed with me for exclaiming "this is so good!" over and over. I am still enjoying a slice as I type. DELISH. It was beautiful, golden, tasted fluffy, yet chewy... had all the right properties of a rustic loaf. I could have bought it from a baker or fresh-baked at the market, seriously!

I was successfully grain-free since about a year ago, but shortly after becoming pregnant (January), fell a bit off the grain-free wagon and focused more on traditional foods. I am told that because this bread ferments almost like a sourdough, people who are gluten-intolerant (I am self-diagnosed) are able to consume without issues. Can anyone attest to this?

My variations/mess ups are as follows:

I used COLD water on top of the yeast and seriously thought I just killed the yeast! Nope! I decided to go ahead and let it rise 18 hours instead of only 12. That I believe made all the difference. I did not put it on cloth to rest for 15 minutes and actually shaped it right after getting it out of the bowl I mixed it in. Then just put the bowl on top of the dough on my counter for another two hours. My only huge mistake was oil and flour in my dish before putting in the oven. It was pretty burnt after being preheated at 450-475. I really thought it would stick. I didn't use a 6qt dutch oven, I used a 2.5qt circular corning wear casserole dish with a glass top. I also doubled the salt, and might want to triple it next time. I like salty bread! I dumped the dough from my original mixing bowl into the preheated dish, that was far less dangerous then the cloth flipping from the original recipe! I have a 3yo running around like a maniac. Can't risk it.

I'd love to see some different recipes, I think I should really like this with a sourdough starter if I ever get around to buying/making one. Any ideas here?

I'd love to try rye and different flours so any recipes you can post I would much appreciate! I am heading to google this as well, there are TONS of recipes out there. So exciting. Homemade bread yay!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#2 of 5 Old 04-20-2013, 06:30 AM

Quick tip - At this point: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillymonster View Post

I did not put it on cloth to rest for 15 minutes and actually shaped it right after getting it out of the bowl I mixed it in. Then just put the bowl on top of the dough on my counter for another two hours.

Place the dough on parchment paper and put it back in the bowl for the 2-hour rise.

Then you can just lift the parchment paper to transfer it into your heated Dutch oven/casserole dish. Make sure that there is no paper hanging out of the pan, otherwise it will scorch. 

It is lovely bread. I like it toasted. I haven't tried too many variations but using up to 1/3 whole grain flour works well.

#3 of 5 Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 AM

I started making no-knead several years ago and it's the only bread in our house... I actually do it with sourdough that I made following these instructions on the first try:  http://www.breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/ and started off by using the recipes from there.  I make a 80/20% spelt/white combo every week, oatmeal/walnut/raisin, 60/40% white/kamut, and rye regularly and I often just sort of start inventing now that I have a good sense of what texture I'm looking for... dumping a leftover cup of quinoa in, making a bread that uses up stray flours, etc, all with pretty good success.  

The artisan bread in 5 minutes site also has a lot of fermented breads without sourdough... I often have a tub of their pizza dough in the fridge http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/2011/10/25/pizza-margherita-and-a-pizza-making-package-red-star-yeast-king-arthur-flour-emile-henry-pizza-stone-a-signed-pizza-book-giveaway

In general I spent years mystified by bread baking and was pleasantly surprised how forgiving the whole process has turned out to be!

#4 of 5 Old 05-22-2013, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info, I am looking into making a gluten free version. I am gluten intolerant (self-diagnosed) but am really REALLY wanting bread this pregnancy. It's been hard!

Have you noticed any difference digestion-wise from using a sourdough starter? I really notice a tummy ache and some gas issues if I eat too much bread, even this no-knead stuff. Which is really sad for me, because at first, I didn't notice anything, then after eating it a few times, I realized I was getting gas/bloat. Boo!

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#5 of 5 Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 AM

As far as I know, I haven't got any gluten issues, but I started with the spelt bread recipe because I'm not sure how well gluten sits with my DD and I know a lot of people with gluten issues who can tolerate spelt and also that the fermentation from sourdough is supposed to make it easier to digest.  The recipe is pretty easy, so maybe it's worth a try to see how it feels?  I'm in Spain and can't get a lot of the flours used in gluten free baking, so haven't pushed it.  I wish you luck and a happy tummy!

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page