BF baby with dairy sensitivity (raw milk).. anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-30-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi y'all... 

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a baby sensitive to dairy? 

heres the story..

I began drinking raw milk while pregnant after reading weston price, sally fallon, etc. Normal pregnancy, except at the very last week I got a nasty kidney infection and was forced to do a round of pretty heavy antibiotics (arrghh!!). I drank lots of kefir immediately afterwards and up till delivery, hoping to replace good flora.. 

Baby has been healthy, but had lots of gas/spitting up, and was pretty fussy for the first few months. (which I always wondered was due to imperfect gut flora?) 

When we started solids, she began having lots (more) diaper rashes. I tried eliminating different foods, testing to see if it was a certain thing. Fruit seemed to make things worse, so I limited that. I've followed WAPF recommendations with feeding, so no cereals, lots of egg yolk, liver, bone broth, steamed veggies with butter, a little fruit and small amounts of kefir (starting kefir at 7 1/2 mos). She began getting more and more constipated, (poop every 3 days, hard and making her cry every time) and diaper rashes got worse. She also would pull at/scratch her ears a lot (no signs of infection though, we checked) and randomly spit up still (even at 9 months) I would exclusively BF for a while to see if it was the food, but it didn't seem to change anything.

Finally after going camping for a week with no raw milk, she stopped spitting up at all, then when I returned home, starved for raw milk I drank a whole quart at once, and after the next BF she vomitted a lot. I tested this for a few days, no dairy, then would drink a glass of milk and it always make her spit up. Soooooo...... (sorry this is so long!) 

We've been off dairy now for a couple weeks, and the constipation, spitting up, ear pulling, diaper rashes, are all gone. Shes been drinking more bone broth which I've been adding the Natren bifidum to. 

What I'm wondering is if anyone has experience with this sort of thing and did their baby recover? How long being off dairy did it take? How did you reintroduce? Any other thoughts? 

I would really like for her to eventually be able to drink raw milk herself. Shes 10 1/2 months now, and I was hoping to start her at 1 yr, but will wait I guess till she (hopefully) recovers.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. 

#2 of 3 Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM

several mom's I know IRL have had to eliminate dairy complete during the nursing relationship.  Some were able to introduce diary into their child'd diet at a later date some weren't able to do that.

mostly like what's occurring is a reaction to the BCM7 Casien protein http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casomorphin

here's a great slide show that explains the difference in milk (human vs cow)  http://www.nodpa.com/a1_a2.pdf

Most dairy in the US come from A1 cows which produce BCM7.  A1 proteins can be harder to digest b/c they are larger where as A2 proteins are smaller and closer in size to human milk proteins. Some cows like gurnsey's produce A2 dairy ( though genetic testing is required to sell milk as A2)  Most goats and sheeps milk is A2 as well.

I think you've got a couple of options - 1) continue nursing & stay dairy free for now, until your lo is older. Not sure if its in your plan, but you really might want to consider extended nursing especially if your lo is showing allergies.   2) try introducing goats/sheep dairy products to your plate on a limited basis 1-2 days/week  and see if your lo has a similar reaction. 

#3 of 3 Old 05-02-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks shijin13..

I do think its a milk protein thing.. thanks for the info and that great slideshow broke it down nicely.

I do plan to continue nursing until she's done, which is one of the reasons I'm hoping she'll grow out of this sooner than later! :)  (love my raw milk!).. but I know that eventually she'll wean and I really want for her to be able to handle that great source of protein/fat/vitamins..etc.. I guess we'll see.

I didn't know that goat/sheep products may be tolerable. I will try that and see what she does.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page