High fat + starches = EVIL? what do you think.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Due to budget concerns we're going to be adding more starches into our diet and eating less meat.  We'll replace that with beans for the most part.  We will be gluten free since it causes me health issues (heart burn, migraines, sinus problems).

I've heard eating a high-fat diet with starches is very, very bad.  Any advice on this?

For your consideration, I would like to lose weight and my husband has Type I diabetes.

Thanks in advance.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#2 of 13 Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

When you say starches which ones will you be eating more of? If you are eating gluten free than I think you will be eating some pretty good starches. I always get it all confused but will you be able to eat brown rice and quinoa? I'm not expert though. By high fat are you talking about the good fat like salmon and avocado or the bad kind? I think gluten free with beans and the good fat will not be fattening.

Good luck too on your change of diet.  We too had to make some changes. Food is getting so expensive. We buy our chicken from a meat market(better priced) and we always have two veggie nights. I love bean...especially garbanzo beans...

#3 of 13 Old 05-08-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Fats:

Good, like tallow, lard, olive oil, fish, avocados, seeds and nuts.

Starches:

Gluten-free grains, hopefully soaked or sprouted; potatoes, beans and lentils.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#4 of 13 Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM

Please enlighten me on how lard is a good fat. Any good resources...it's just hard for me to believe but I have heard a lot about it.

Coconut oil is a good fat too. I think as long as you are not eating tons of potatoes and balance your diet it will be okay. Lentils.and quinoa or millet,and avocado sounds good to me and doesn't  seem fattening to me. But like I said before I am not an expert.  Just help me wrap my brain around lard..lol

#5 of 13 Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Links:

What Weston A. Price Foundation says

What a blogger says, with good info

Another blogger

I cannot eat coconut oil, I have a reaction to it.  It burns and itches my throat and makes it feel like it swells a bit.  I can eat coconut meat or drink coconut milk, so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Basically saturated fats are good for you because, especially when animal sourced, they contain high amounts of vitamins that are easily utilized by our bodies.  Also, saturated fats are more stable, reducing oxidizing which creates free radicals.  Consuming less free radicals is a good thing.

#6 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Bump

#7 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

I'll add the PHD view (from the Jaminets' Perfect Health Diet): up to a pound of safe starches a day (potatoes, white rice, sweet potatoes, taro, yams) are okay and healthy.

Potatoes and rice are probably the cheapest options, wherever you are.

To keep their glycemic index low and aid digestion (AND lose weight because you are avoiding insulin spikes and cravings), you'll want to add fats (the tastiest for me being butter and sour cream, though duck fat and lard are supposed to work well for potatoes -  I eat those rarely, but there is really nothing wrong with them), acid (vinegar on the potatoes or in the sauce for the rice) and gelatinous broth (again in the sauce, or cook the rice in it). Saturated animal fats are the fats 50% of our bodies are made of and are the safest food to eat.

According to the PHD, limiting protein intake to about half a pound a day is fine. However, they advocate against eating lentils, due to the lectins and other toxins I can't recall, supposedly not much better than eating glutinous grains.

How about high protein dairy options, like cottage cheese?

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#8 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info, Tigerle.  I'm going to have to research to see if soaking or sprouting lentils does anything for the lectin content.  They're The Hubby's favorite legume.

More later, but I wanted to say thanks.

#9 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I know NT/Sally Fallon says that sprouted lentils are good for eating because it makes them more digestible. If you haven't been eating a lot of legumes it might be good to start slowly so your GI flora can adapt to digesting them. Depending on the legume different soaking times, temperatures and pH is desirable to break down whatever toxins they contain. I don't know a lot of specifics off the top of my head, but Ferment and Human Nutrition by Bill Mollison is an excellent resource on the ways people have traditionally prepared starches. It's also a fascinating read...well if you're as much of a nerd as I am. :)

I would also second the importance of eating fat with starches because it slows absorption of glucose into the blood stream to prevent spikes. I didn't know about the gelatin thing, but it makes sense when I think about it (thanks Tigerle!).

#10 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I think I'm working this out...

A high starch/high fat diet is a problem only when inflammation is going on, correct?  So as long as I work on eliminating inflammation-causing foods and increase my intake of antioxidants I should be in the clear.

I'm going to have to work on my tolerance for legumes again.  I haven't eaten them regularly for a long while.  My favorite way to eat beans is as a fermented bean dip.  SO DELICIOUS.  I'll have to start that again.

#11 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Yup, soaking and sprouting and fermenting all supposedly help. If you check out nourishing traditions, though, it sounds like very hard work, like soak for three days and rinse twice daily or so. if your husband loves them, I'm sure it's worth it to check out ways to make them more easily digestible (and peas and green beans are supposedly fine, has got something to do with what the plant is "planning" about germination).

The PHD and PB (Primal Blueprint) stance on all of these traditional foods (soaked legumes, fermentes grains etc) appears to be that no one does all of this hard work anyway, certainly restaurants and industry don't, and while they reduce toxins they do not eliminate them completely, so the safest thing for them is to cut them out completely.

Because we are still "introducing" all this into our diet, I have decided (and actually find it easier, too) to just cut grains and legumes out for our family as much as I can, use the 80/20 rule or have cheat days if I must, and maybe add some stuff back and see how we do with it. The one thing I think one shouldn't do is just replace grains with legumes for carbs or meat for protein and eat them as a daily staple without doing some research on what the safest legumes and their preparation are.

I find that while all this research is fascinating, with three kids, one of them special needs, it is a huge time commitment, with all those conflicting views, almost worse than finding and preparing the stuff. So I feel your pain about not wanting to get rid of some favouritesand being confused about the advice!

Mesleepytime.gifDH geek.gif DS1 10/06 drum.gif DD 08/10 notes.gifDS2 10/12babyf.gifwith SB ribbonyellow.gif and cat.gifcat.gif 
#12 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

We would love to be Paleo or Primal, but the budget just can't handle it.  We've been trying and it's not working money-wise.  So that's why I'm adding gltuen-free grains and legumes back in.  I can't afford so much meat, and it take so much meat for me to feel satisfied.

#13 of 13 Old 05-17-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

Links:

What Weston A. Price Foundation says

What a blogger says, with good info

Another blogger

I cannot eat coconut oil, I have a reaction to it.  It burns and itches my throat and makes it feel like it swells a bit.  I can eat coconut meat or drink coconut milk, so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Basically saturated fats are good for you because, especially when animal sourced, they contain high amounts of vitamins that are easily utilized by our bodies.  Also, saturated fats are more stable, reducing oxidizing which creates free radicals.  Consuming less free radicals is a good thing.

Thanks, I knew most of the info you gave me but I think I am still just stuck on not eating animal fat. Growing up when animal fat was shun for canola oil and olive oil I use olive and coconut oil all the time. The second article you linked was very well written. I do like ghee..I forgot. I feel more motivated to use lard.....I think I'll have to use it for a while then spring it on my husband afterwards or he'd just about have a heart attack that we are eating lard. He has also been brain washed...lol. It's all about temperature and moderation right? Thanks for helping me wrap my brain around something I need to.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page