Coming back to TF after 1 1/2 of eating a mix of TF and SAD... help me with my little one - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm excited to be coming back to a complete TF diet for my family after about 1 1/2 years of eating a combo diet.  Mostly TF during my pregnancy, but since birth I've made too many exceptions.  

Do any of you order your meats?  One reason that I went away from TF was not having access to meat I want to consume in our stores.  We have no health food stores where we are.  I started eating less meat and thus more easy foods like frozen pizza.  Right... great replacement. ROTFLMAO.gif  Where do you order from if so?  I'm on the waiting list for a meat CSA.  Hopefully by July we'll be able to get meat from it.  In the meantime...

Also, I was TF before without the raw dairy.  Still can't find it and still don't have our own goat or cow.  I'm wondering if paleo is the better option for us until that point.

Then, DD2 is 5 and weighs about 40lbs.  She is sooo thin.  She hates to eat.  I can't persuade her to eat and she'd rather starve then eat something she doesn't feel like eating at the time.  She isn't as healthy as I'd like her to be and I don't want to resort to nutritional shakes and the like.  Any suggestions on helping her eat our TF foods?  She literally eats bread, yogurt, goldfish crackers, most anything sweet, some cheese, pizza, french fries, and will sometimes eat hamburger.  When I say eat I mean 5 bites and rarely finishes any food.  My oldest eats very well and eats most vegetables and will try anything.  I'm a veggie eater and love trying new foods, so it isn't that it is not available nor has never been on DD2's plate.  It is that I'm trying to get her to eat something.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Bumping up for more input!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

You can get back into TF with eggs. Even store-bought eggs are better than frozen pizza, IMO.

Perhaps you can try changing your family's tastes away from sweets (breads, grains, fruits, and sugars) to savory foods (meats, fats, reasonable amounts of natural salts, and herbs).

Carbohydrates (and the additives in the processed food) are physically addictive. You will probably have to endure some melt-downs by all persons in the family in the process of transitioning. Give yourself a year to transition back to TF.

Protein will supplant the cravings of the carbohydrate-addicted metabolism. Order meat online or just buy as good meat as you can afford in the grocery store until you get it worked out. Avoid processed or pre-cooked meat.

Once you are back to TF, you can fine tune the quality and source of your food.

I do not agree with many TF resources that provide elaborate recipes. Good ingredients to have on hand are: good sea salt, natural hot pepper sauce, natural mustard, ground pepper, and a dried herb blend. You may have to use something like ketchup to make the transition (we called it the "$1.47 guarantee" because a $1.47 bottle of ketchup made sure that wholesome meals were eaten by my daughter as we transitioned away from SAD). Real egg-based mayonnaise, although it is not the best fat when store bought, can help as well.

Give yourself some time and keep a steady pressure on to get the change realized. It will take awhile and that is OK.

Best wishes,

Puma

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List