Price for grass fed beef - hanging weight vs finished weight? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-16-2013, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've found two local sources for bulk grass fed beef.  One is $6/lb across all cuts which is the finished weight - the price I pay per pound once the beef has been processed, aged, frozen and delivered.  

There is another source that is $4.90 per pound hanging weight which will also include the processing, aging and delivery.  

But, my understanding is that if you have 100lbs of hanging weight, you'll likely end up with 70ish pounds of actual meat once processed, aged etc..  Is this correct?

This is our first time buying a cow in bulk so I'm trying to figure out which is a better way to go - by finished weight or by hanging weight?

#2 of 5 Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My experience with this sort of question is to try both and see which works for you. For me, several factors matter: convenience, butchering technique, flavor, visible quality, satiation upon eating, farm practices, and the pleasure of dealing with the vendor. You are basically looking at a dollar's difference /pound, so if it was me I would try both and see what you prefer. 

I've found a wide variation in all of those criteria in the vendors and sometimes my choice isn't the "cheapest" - but for me it is the best choice.

#3 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so after tons of research I've discovered that even though different places go by different weights initially, they should be able to provide you with the price on the finished weight - the weight once processed, aged and wrapped.  They should know on average how much they lose in the processing and aging process.  If they can't provide you with this number then they don't really know their business.  

fruitfulmomma likes this.
#4 of 5 Old 06-30-2013, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

So with the $4.90/lb. for hanging weight, if you are losing 30% weight then your final price will be $7.00/lb. I saw on another older thread where they said they usually get 60%, so that would be a 40% loss, bringing your per pound total to $8.17 lb.

#5 of 5 Old 07-01-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yes!  In researching, that's why they say to talk to the farmer - they should be able to give you the average of how much they lose in processing and aging.  For some it's 30%, some as high as 40% but a good farmer should be able to tell you the percentage so you're able to actually figure out how much you're paying per pound of finished product. 

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page