Infant WAPF guidelines: fact or fiction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello, I have had Sally Fenton's books and have eaten TF for a large part of my adult life, but I never realized about all the infant guidelines until now that I'm running a daycare and am in charge if feeding young children and infants.

It seems to me like a lot of people kind of did what I did which is use TF for adult use and shun the infant advice. But I want to know. Did you follow it and what has been your experience?

I always heard to wait until one year with meat or eggs and so far none of the links listed on WAPF have been of any use. There are no links to studies and the books listed as references are usually published by members of the WAPF. I am looking for studies on meat consumption, bone broth, gelatin, raw milk and any other thing WAPF recommends for infants. I really want to make sure I'm doing the best thing my these kids. Also if you have any real life experience to share. Also a bit worried about constipation and quantity. I don't know how much meat or broth is too much and don't they just need plain water or a good ratio of fruits and veggies to meat. Any input is appreciated. Thanks! Oh and PS if you followed these guidelines in whole or part and didn't look up independent studies, what convinced you to shun the "politically correct" way of feeding infants or even just a quasi politically correct diet which any so out there? It just seems like such a leap to give babies some of this stuff... How did you know for sure. Or as there a smoking gun per se?

How do you convince spouses and other relatives you are doing the right thing? What effects too and bad have you noticed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Disclaimer : I don't follow wapf guidelines and don't know what infant guidelines are, so I'm only going by what you posted. With my youngest (now 21 months) I decided to have a different approach to introducing solids. I delayed all grains until around 15 months, then started slow. I focused on offering more proteins and Less fruits and vegetables. Reasons being, with my older kids, vegetables came out undigested, but something like chicken, undetectable. So I decided that the most important foods to offer were ones that were easy for them to digest. I didn't refuse vegetables, just gave more proteins. I gave eggs from about 6 months, from our own chickens. As for raw milk, I believe infants should drink lots of raw human milk smile.gif my toddler in the last month has been demanding to drink raw cows milk like his big sister. I am okay with that, but give only a tiny amount because I don't want him replacing breastmilk with cows milk. I love bone broth, but don't make as much as i should! It usually goes in soups, which baby (6 months and older) would have for dinner with the rest of the family. My babies only taste food before a year or so. Even getting close to 2, my toddler still only eats a couple tablespoons worth of food at meal times. Unless its something really good! Lol. Breastfeeding is his primary nutrition. I do think focusing on proteins and keeping him grain free past a year was a good choice for him. Compared to his siblings, his diapers contain way less undigested food!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 08-20-2013, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I came to TF after my son was an infant, but one of the things that convinced me that TF was the way to go had to do with nutritional advice we received when he was young and struggling.  At around 6 months, my son was falling off the charts small and losing weight.  We (doc, LC/nutritionist, and parents) figured out that even though he nursed 'round the clock, he wasn't triggering a let-down, and probably hadn't been for months.  So, I had next to nothing for a milk supply, and he refused a bottle.  We were able to eventually retrain him to nurse properly and get my supply back, but in the immediate timeframe he needed food in his belly.  Meats were the first thing he ate (ground up, and nothing remotely lean) because next to milk, it had the most complete range of dense nutrients.  We then added all the things I now know are 'classic' TF.  The LC we worked with is a UN advisor and has worked with mothers around the world, and it seems, has picked up sage advice globally and now shares the wisdom locally, and I am forever grateful!  Our skin-and-bones infant is now an average-sized boy with dreams of being bigger than his grandfather someday (a long, long, shot, but as we continue with TF, he's got a better chance!).  So while this anecdote certainly isn't peer-reviewed research, at least one LC/nutritionist at a major US children's hospital is offering the diet as the "new normal".

Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.  Good info. 

LilStar JC you were giving babyfood veggies or whole veggies when they were being undigested?  I've heard that puree doesn't get digested but I'm unsure on how to tell.  I can see colors in the baby poop, but it smells like poop with a hint of whatever.  I'm just so confused lol

Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Oh, definitely no baby food. I feed my babies soft table food that they can feed themselves. Things like very soft pieces of carrot would be easily identified.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did semi WAP with my DS but not two DD's before him. Meat, broth, fish eggs, egg yolk, these were his first foods, he has the least health and digestive troubles of the bunch.
"It just seems like such a leap to give babies some of this stuff... How did you know for sure"
I just went with my instincts, as a 6 month old he would go nuts and try to wriggle out of my arms to get it if he smelled meat cooking. HOWEVER I must add that we raise our own meat. The fat is especially good for babies if it's from animals raised outdoors.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

Oh, definitely no baby food. I feed my babies soft table food that they can feed themselves. Things like very soft pieces of carrot would be easily identified.

okay this brings up another question entirely?  i'm assuming you're BLW?  I have been wondering about this.  is that necessarily a bad thing?  isn't that fiber? lol.  I mean its no surprise we don't digest everything.  even adults have whole foods in their poop.

and as for the meat i'm not surprised because its in the stomach for 2-5 hours, as opposed to veggies for only 20-30 min

I was really hoping for some links or book recs at least.  I really want to delve into this research and I just don't know where to start...

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List