Did I kill my kefir? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am brand spanking new to making kefir (brand new to traditional diets overall but so intrigued!) and attempted my 2nd batch ever yesterday... But 24hrs of fermenting didn't yield much. It is still very milk-like and just a vey mild kefir smell. Just trying to troubleshoot this...

Possible that I added the kefir starter too soon and my milk was still too hot?
Or is it more likely due to the fact that it is a different kind of milk this time? (Organic whole instead of the organic non-homogenized that I used in my first batch)

Just hoping to understand so I can get better at this! smile.gif
#2 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've had it take a few days to get thicker, like keifer when making mine. Also you might want to consider that you are probably not adding carrageenan or any other thickener to it.

What temp did you add the starter to the mik at?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Another 12 hours yielded a more kefir-like consistency... Phew!

I actually added the starter right after I heated the milk to near boil... I got cocky with my second batch, thinking I remembered the steps in order and forgot to wait for it to cool. (I am not always that vacant-headed... Two small kids and not a lot of sleep... Sheesh) That's why I was questioning this batch... It wasn't thickening as fast as the first I made.

Also, another newbie question... Can I nurture proper kefir grains from a powdered starter? When I looked at my first batch, I didn't see anything in the jar that resembled even a tiny grain... How do I get those going? (SO green at this! Lol...)
#4 of 7 Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 AM

:lurk  I'm on my second ever batch too.  I started the first with 'grains' I got from Cultures for Health but when I strained the first batch I didn't see anything like what is described in The Art of Fermentation.  I used a little of the first batch to start a second and it's thickened and a teensy bit fizzy but I'm still not sure I actually have kefir.  It tastes good at least.  I'm interested in any btdt though.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#5 of 7 Old 09-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Blt178, I do not know of a way to get grains from the powdered starter. I looked into it once (though not very in depth) & from what I found the powdered starter is simply done once you've used it up.

Plady, I found that my kefir grains took a few rounds to acclimate to my house & the milk I was using before I started getting consistent results. I also used non-homogenized full fat milk (not raw) & it separated as expectedt but always worked out. As I was figuring it out in the beginning I over fermented a few batches but used the kefir for cooking. Mine usually did not get as thick or as fizzy as the store bought stuff but I loved it. Like you, I just went by taste. (Sadly, now dairy free & killed my grains making to many batches of delicious coconut kefir!)

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#6 of 7 Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 AM

I'd never tried kefir before the first batch I made so I don't know what to compare it to.  It tastes most like buttermilk.  Since I thought I'd give it a go more to introduce some new and interesting bacteria into my life I guess it's okay as is, but I'd be interested to try some 'real' kefir.

I'll keep it going and see if it ever develops anything bigger than the tiny bits it has now.

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#7 of 7 Old 09-08-2013, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yeah, mine took a few weeks to puff up & even multiply. You can also let it go a bit longer or reduce the amount of milk. Come to think of it, less milk might thicken it up a bit more.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page