Anyone here in the UK? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to determine whether some things like fermented foods, coconut oil, and coconut butter will be available.  Other things, too but those come to mind.  I am thinking the dairy selection will be good....any input?

We are possibly spending a year in Edinburgh beginning around January.  Since it is temporary and we plan to rent a place that is at least partially furnished,  I won't be bringing a whole lot.  Right now I'm debating whether I should bring a few Pickl-Its along so that I am sure to have a supply of fermented veggies.  I am thinking it would be worth it, but it got me wondering if anyone actually knows!  If there is a great local supply then I'd probably just go with that for the year  :)

Also, what about used cast iron?  I cook in my well loved pans daily and would want to continue that....I am guessing I'll be able to find a second hand skillet or two, but does anyone know that for sure?  Maybe it would even be old and lovely....

Any insight would be appreciated!  We are trying to estimate moving costs and figuring out what to pack, what to live without and what we can purchase on the other side is a big part of the puzzle.

Thanks  :)

cynthia mosher likes this.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#2 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 03:13 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Bumping up for attention. Anyone in the area have suggestions?

#3 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 AM

Me again! You'll be able to get things like sauerkraut, coconut oil and other coconut products at Real Foods which is a health food shop in Edinburgh. Also, if you want any milk or water kefir grains or a kombucha scoby, I have all of these and am happy to share. There is also a Weston Price chapter in Edinburgh if that's any use. There is plenty of dairy available, but unfortunately raw dairy is illegal in Scotland, but you can order it in from England. You can get raw cheeses here though, and Edinburgh has a very good cheese shop which will no doubt have raw cheese.

I'm not sure about used cast iron, but I would be very interested to know the answer to that one! I guess charity or antique shops would be a good start for those, or even asking on Freecycle. I hope that helps!

#4 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Nettle - you have been a huge help!  I thought I recognized your name...probably from here  :)

If I make it over we should definitely meet up.  I may have a villi yogurt culture to share if I don't kill the poor thing from neglect while I am distracted by all of this!

Bringing my own cast iron seems like an excessively heavy thing to ship, but I'd hate to be without any for that long.  I've read there are lots of second hand shops in the areas we are considering, so I was thinking maybe I'd be able to find something.  There's always Amazon....

Oh - do you know if grass fed dairy (milk) is at least more common?  If you order raw in from England, do you know how that works?  Is it like buying clubs or something?  I'm sure we'll adapt to whatever is available, but the researcher in me wants answers NOW  lol :)  We get Kerrygold butter and cheese here sometimes, that would almost be 'local'  ;)  I will sure miss the lovely raw jersey milk I get here.  My girls don't even like 'regular' milk (well unless it is chocolate or something) - they think it tastes strange.

Thanks!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#5 of 5 Old 10-09-2013, 01:43 AM

That would be good! Grass fed dairy is easy to find here as I'm sure most dairy cows are grass fed here, though I'm not positive. If in doubt there's organic. You can order raw milk straight from certain farms in England and they'll send it up by courier. The delivery is quite expensive, but you get discounts on milk if you buy a certain amount. You can get Kerry Gold in most supermarkets here; that's what we get. 

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page