brining meat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-03-2014, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

my neighbor brought me back a deer ham from his recent hunting trip. its my first time cooking venison (I've eaten it before once or twice) so I googled it and found that I should brine the ham. I had to go and buy a huge stock pot to fit it in, and I mixed up the salt water this morning and left it on the counter. 

should I have put it in the fridge? the pot absolutely would not fit.  its been in the mid 60s in my house all day.  fwiw, the meat is super fresh and was kept chilled for the 10 hr drive home. it was never frozen.  my neighbor brought it next door to me in an open cardboard box.

my intention was to let it sit in brine for 24 hrs and then either slow roast or slow simmer. haven't decided which yet.  am I gonna kill all of us bc of room temp brining?

Bring back the old MDC
#2 of 5 Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have recommendations to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really have no idea having just brine d my first rabbit (in the fridge) a couple of weeks ago.

My guess is that the salt water brine is in and of itself not able to breed bacteria because of the salt.  In addition the meat will be cooked through, right?  I don't think I would keep it a room temp overnight... I would put it in the tub with some bagged ice if you are brinning longer than a few hours. 

#4 of 5 Old 02-23-2014, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
On counter for 24 hours at room temp is just awful in terms of food safety. We brine poultry farely frequently. If it firts in the fridge, it should go in the fridge. For larger things, we put them in a solid container, seal on the lid, and put it in the cooler with bagged ice.
#5 of 5 Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Just saw this in new posts and wanted to pop back in and say that I let the meat sit in the brine at room temp for an ungodly amount of time, cut it with a 30 yr old electric knife, and then popped the smaller hunks in the crock pot and the bigger ones on the bone went into a stock pot on the stove with a big bottle of organic chocolate stout.  Both cooked for a good, long time although all these weeks later I don't recall exactly.

Well, FDA be damned bc all the meat tasted amazing and none of it killed any of us!!!  lol

The bone broth was pretty good and lasted forever.  The boneless pieces that cooked in the crockpot got turned into BBQ pulled "pork" and my kids tore it up.  

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page