New to cod liver oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have my first appointment with a midwife tomorrow, and I've been planning on starting FCLO as soon as i could afford it, so within the next week or so. I'm already 7-8 weeks along so I guess I'm looking for a little advice on how I should start, either with the full 2 tsp or start with 1 and build up, and for a little backup/reassurance because I have a feeling that I will not have midwife support on the issue with the whole vit a thing. Also an unrelated question, any suggestions for getting out of iron deficiency would be a great help.
#2 of 4 Old 01-11-2014, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have experiences to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 01-20-2014, 07:40 AM

I didn't take FCLO during pregnancy (I wish I had, though - great that you're going to!) but I do take it now, when I can afford it! I think that Green Pasture is the best brand out there. I have taken the liquid oil in "Cinnamon Tingle" flavor because it's the most palatable to me. They send it with a little applicator thing that kind of shoots it down your throat. I usually have a glass of water and some olives afterward to mask the taste (my husband thinks that cinnamon FCLO and olives is a gross combo, though - it's just what works for me). I also tried to take the Butter/Oil Blend but I just couldn't really stomach it. It's not liquid, it's a thicker consistency that you scoop out. I would freeze little chunks on some wax paper and pop them like pills, but it was too high maintenance. In terms of dosing, I think that 1-2 tsp is recommended. Oh, and my toddler loves the stuff. I hope this is helpful!

#4 of 4 Old 01-20-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I just got my order yesterday so I'm trying to figure out the perfect combination, I have the butter oil and FCLO, but I want to keep talking my prenatal because I know my vegetable intake isn't where it should be and there are a few other things I worry about, and I want to start frozen liver pills because my iron's a little low. So I'm working on the balance, I'm thinking of maybe 1.5 tsp FCLO to offset the prenatal and see how that works.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page