Looking for sweets and cookies that are healthy and taste nice - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-25-2014, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just read Nourishing traditions and actually that believe system is kind of the same that I changed to when I healed my eating disorder. 

So I totally agree with her. I am looking for sweets and cookies to offer to the kids like on weekend afternoons, like cookies or waffles, or for little "goodies" for the lunch box, so they don't feel deprived. 

Does anyone know good recipes, that taste well and are healthy(ish). 

Thank you! 

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

I am not regularly online at the moment due to the above ...

#2 of 17 Old 01-27-2014, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
You can make some of the traditional recipes but substitute flour for more oats, use less sugar( try apple sauce or honey) .
I just made up this so I don not have exact measures
Almond butter
Butter
Honey
Flax meal
Oats(2 1/2 cups)
Made balls and it was a bit!
Best.
#3 of 17 Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Maybe? Banana-Chocolate chip bars?

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup unbleached flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 margarine or butter

1 1/3 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup mashed riped bananas (about 2 large)

6 to 8 oz. semisweet chocolate or carob chips

mix dry

wet- mix butter & sugar. MIX in egg, vanilla, bananas, then DRY. LAST chips 

#4 of 17 Old 01-29-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. 

Even my DH starts to mention his sugar cravings...even though he is the one who always says: You don't need to buy sweets... ;) 

He admits to looking into the "sweetie cupboard" - which is now filled with nuts and flour and stuff....

maybe I try fruit leather...I have no idea how that tastes, we don't have it here ...

Trin with DH , DD(7) dust.gif and DS(5) jumpers.gif,  DD(2) energy.gifdog2.gifbelly.gif(due 5/14)

#5 of 17 Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 AM

Yeah try to make some traditional recipes :)

#6 of 17 Old 01-30-2014, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Strawberry mango fruit leather is like candy!
#7 of 17 Old 02-02-2014, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

How do you make it?

#8 of 17 Old 03-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Hey there! I'm right there with ya on the health train, sista! However, the man and I can't survive without just a little something sweet every now and then.. Well, for him it's twice a day, so I have to keep goodies around that are relatively healthy.
When I bake anything, I substitute:
- for butter: peanut butter, bananas, coconut oil (or a mixture of a few of these)
- for sugar: honey, or cane sugar.. I also use brown sugar I'm not sure how healthy that is.
- for flour: I grind up oats in my coffe grinder to make oat flour

Here's a successful recipe that I just created today.. I modified the Quaker oats oatmeal cookie recipe to make my very own "Banana-Cardamom Cashew Oat Chews" recipe. These come out very soft, and stay soft stored for many days, so it'd be perfect for your kiddos! They are very delicious!

1/2 cup banana
6 T. Crunchy 100% natural peanut butter (might want to warm to soften)
1 cup brown sugar + 2 T. Honey (pure, not processed)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom (optional- I just love this stuff.. It makes for added depth to the nutty flavor of these oat cookies)
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (optional- but I think it makes the flavor right)
1 c white flour, 1/2 c oat flour(you can change this proportion- it was what I had on hand)
1 cup chopped raw cashews
3 cups oats uncooked

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix together the ingredients in the order listed, then drop by rounded tablespoon onto a cookie sheet. I used ungreased aluminum foil and my cookies stuck to it, but did not burn.. They were just slightly hard to get off the foil once they had cooled. I think parchment paper would be best, or else foil that has been greased somehow. Cook 8-10 minutes until they are deep golden brown in color, then take them out, let cool on tray for a minute, then pull the foil or paper off the cookie tray and let them cool/cook themselves on the counter for about 5 minutes before serving (longer before storing- let them cool completely before you store). Once you take the foil or paper with the cookies off the tray, you can set up the tray for the next round of cookies (my batch made about 2 1/2 tray fulls of cookies.. 24 LARGE cookies.. Two trays of nine, one of six, actually...

They are SOOO good! I'm about to go munch on one now.. smile.gif I hope this helps! I also have a great recipe for crockpot roasted nuts with maple syrup and curry powder.. Also a healthy, slightly sweet and slightly spicy, snack for the kiddos (and you). innocent.gif

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#9 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your ideas, defenitely going to try!

#10 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 AM

Let me know what you think if you try out the recipe.. I always make things one time but never wrote down what I did, so this is the first time I've actually written down what I did. I like home cookin with just an extra kick in the healthy department... wink1.gif

The roasted nuts just call for 3.5 cups of raw nuts, you decide the mix (I used pecans almonds cashews), add 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, plus one tsp curry, one tsp rosemary, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp salt, plus cooking spray (or butter or oil for the aides of the crockpot): coat the crockpot with the oil (this is the only oil in the entire recipe).. Then add the nuts, then the syrup and spices- toss WELL to coat, then cook on high two hours, stirring about every 20 minutes. Let cool by spreading out on a sheet, then put into jars to store. Very addicting snack that is relatively healthy. Plus this option is way less expensive than buying nuts from a bad corporation that are already mixed and roasted with toxins added to them.. thumb.gif

In case you're curious about my status: I'm Kate, I spend every miraculous day with my darling soul mate JB and we are expecting our first baby (boy!) ...
#11 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

I loooove honey roasted nuts or spiced nuts, but they are difficult to find plus organic they're really expensive, non-organic: don't know about gmo nuts...or whatever they do to them to make them last longer (radiation anybody?) - so THANK YOU for that idea!

#12 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
You can also do maple glazed nuts very simply by reducing maple syrup in a saucepan, stirring up some nuts in it and then spreading them out to dry. Trick is to remove nearly all the moisture from the syrup so it crystallizes. We also really like macaroons around here.
#13 of 17 Old 03-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Exactly! I was stoked to find that recipe for the same reasons.. Now I can buy the nuts in bulk ands sure they are non GMO, organic, and only roasted with natural ingredients at home! Nuts and seeds are such a great way to add nutrients to our diet, so it's terrible having to stay wary of them.

#14 of 17 Old 03-14-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I thought this was the Traditional Food forum; let's see if we can't get these recipes a little healthier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

Maybe? Banana-Chocolate chip bars?

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour MAKE SURE TO SOAK THE FLOUR SOMEHOW & SKIP THE WHITE STUFF
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 margarine or butter NO MARGARINE!
1 1/3 cup brown sugar NO BROWN SUGAR, TRY RAPADURA
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed riped bananas (about 2 large)
6 to 8 oz. semisweet chocolate or carob chips

mix dry

wet- mix butter & sugar. MIX in egg, vanilla, bananas, then DRY. LAST chips 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynRose View Post

When I bake anything, I substitute:
- for butter: peanut butter, bananas, coconut oil (or a mixture of a few of these) WHY SUB BUTTER, IT'S A SUPERFOOD!
- for sugar: honey, or cane sugar.. I also use brown sugar I'm not sure how healthy that is. IT'S NOT. TRY RAPADURA
- for flour: I grind up oats in my coffe grinder to make oat flour

Here's a successful recipe that I just created today.. I modified the Quaker oats oatmeal cookie recipe to make my very own "Banana-Cardamom Cashew Oat Chews" recipe. These come out very soft, and stay soft stored for many days, so it'd be perfect for your kiddos! They are very delicious!

1/2 cup banana
6 T. Crunchy 100% natural peanut butter (might want to warm to soften)
1 cup brown sugar + 2 T. Honey (pure, not processed) SKIP THE BROWN SUGAR
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom (optional- I just love this stuff.. It makes for added depth to the nutty flavor of these oat cookies)
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (optional- but I think it makes the flavor right)
1 c white flour, 1/2 c oat flour(you can change this proportion- it was what I had on hand) MAKE SURE THE FLOUR IS SOAKED OR SPROUTED AND NEVER USE WHITE FLOUR
1 cup chopped raw cashews SOAKED AND DRIED, RIGHT?
3 cups oats uncooked SOAKED!!!

Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix together the ingredients in the order listed, then drop by rounded tablespoon onto a cookie sheet. I used ungreased aluminum foil and my cookies stuck to it, but did not burn.. They were just slightly hard to get off the foil once they had cooled. I think parchment paper would be best, or else foil that has been greased somehow. Cook 8-10 minutes until they are deep golden brown in color, then take them out, let cool on tray for a minute, then pull the foil or paper off the cookie tray and let them cool/cook themselves on the counter for about 5 minutes before serving (longer before storing- let them cool completely before you store). Once you take the foil or paper with the cookies off the tray, you can set up the tray for the next round of cookies (my batch made about 2 1/2 tray fulls of cookies.. 24 LARGE cookies.. Two trays of nine, one of six, actually...

They are SOOO good! I'm about to go munch on one now.. smile.gif I hope this helps! I also have a great recipe for crockpot roasted nuts with maple syrup and curry powder.. Also a healthy, slightly sweet and slightly spicy, snack for the kiddos (and you). innocent.gif

OP, I just found an outstanding TRULY TRADITIONAL soaked muffin recipe which allows for lots of variation once you master the basic steps. I'm on mobile now but I'll come back later and post a link.
KatelynRose likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#15 of 17 Old 03-14-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

so sorry!

#16 of 17 Old 03-14-2014, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for all the ideas, girls! 

I am looking forward to the soaked muffin recipe! 

#17 of 17 Old 03-15-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

http://eatnourishing.com/recipe/soaked-flour-muffins/

I did these with banana the first go round.  I have another batch soaking now that I will bake tomorrow with organic carrot and zucchini and maybe some pecan chips.

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page