Bone Broth inhibiting iron absorption? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maria2513

#1 of 14 Old 02-12-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I've always wondered about something:  Most of us here know how rich in calcium bone broth is.  Now in most of my reading I've read that calcium inhibits iron absorption.  So it would seem that cooking meat in my bone broth and eating them together is a bad idea, as the calcium from the bone broth will inhibit me and my kids from absorbing all that wonderful iron, right?  Can anyone shed some light on this?  

TIA!

#2 of 14 Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 AM

I'm curious about this too since my son is low iron...

#3 of 14 Old 02-15-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have a thought? This concerns me a great deal as I also feel I am low iron.  Presumably it lowers the iron absorption - that's what it would seem, right?  But that seems so counter-intuitive - I can't cook meat in my rich delicious bone broth???  Doesn't seem fair!!

#4 of 14 Old 02-15-2014, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I don't have specific details but it is not something I would worry about. Most recipes for bone broth use some meaty bones too.
#5 of 14 Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 AM

I think I will consider the bone broth as a calcium meal and save the meat for an iron meal till I learn otherwise or get my son's iron levels up.  Right now, we do two iron/vit c meals per day and one calcium meal.  We've been struggling with low iron for nearly a year now, so I really have to consider iron absorption for every meal to get those numbers up.

#6 of 14 Old 02-26-2014, 05:02 AM

I just remembered that there is heme iron (from meats) and non-heme iron (non-meat).  The meat heme iron is absorbed more easily than non-heme.  The non-heme iron is difficult to absorb and is inhibited by calcium and phytates, but vitamin c (and meat too I think) can counteract that and can aid the non-heme iron absorption.  So I'm not sure, but maybe heme iron isn't affected by calcium??  If so, then the iron in the meat wouldn't be inhibited by the calcium in the bone broth.  Gonna need to do some more reading... anybody know?

#7 of 14 Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Haven't read this whole study yet, but this indicates that heme iron absorption is affected to some extent, too: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/53/1/112.abstract.

#8 of 14 Old 02-27-2014, 03:17 PM

Oh thanks!  Just looked at the study abstract: "The same amount of calcium also significantly reduced heme-iron absorption..."

I'll try to find a moment to read the whole study, but till then it sounds like keeping the calcium bone broth separate from the iron-rich meat isn't a bad idea if iron-absorption is a concern.

#9 of 14 Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

I wrote to WAP about my question, just wanted to post Sally's answer for all who were interested:

Bone broth is not particularly rich in iron, and not in calcium either. Since it supports good digestion, it would seem to support the assimilation of both calcium and iron.

This answer is from Sally Fallon Morell. She appreciates your support of our work.
We apologize for delays in responding as we get many questions.
Weston A. Price Foundation
westonaprice.org

So there you go. And I really thought it was rich in calcium. Shows what I know

#10 of 14 Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, that's odd because on page 42 of Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon writes, "The best sources of usable calcium are dairy products and bone broth. In cultures where dairy products are not used, bone broth is essential."

countryangels likes this.
#11 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria2513 View Post
Well, that's odd because on page 42 of Nourishing Traditions, Sally Fallon writes, "The best sources of usable calcium are dairy products and bone broth. In cultures where dairy products are not used, bone broth is essential."

Would love to hear what others think on the above. Thanks.
#12 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria2513 View Post
Haven't read this whole study yet, but this indicates that heme iron absorption is affected to some extent, too: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/53/1/112.abstract.

Thanks for the link.
#13 of 14 Old 08-10-2014, 04:50 PM

On a slightly different note, have you considered cooking with a cast iron pot or pan, if you're not already?
#14 of 14 Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Maria I was also confused about that. Going to try to get a further answer from her.

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page