Replacing pots, pans, microwave, utensils, etc... Suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-13-2014, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I started replacing my non-stick pots last year with stainless steel, then I ran out of steam and money.  So I'd like to replace my other cookware with better/healthier alternatives, but I'm not sure what to get... any suggestions for brands or particular dishes/items?   Here are the things I need suggestions for:

1. roasting pan, small/med for veggies and large for chickens

2. baking pans/cookie sheets

3. baking dishes (9x13, 8x8, etc)

4. cooking utensils... all of mine is the plastic stuff

5. microwave/toaster oven... need something to reheat leftovers and bake small dishes... and my oven won't heat below 175 degrees so I'd like something that can be set <150 for 12 hours for drying nuts if such a thing exists!

6. tea pot... I heat water/make tea several times a day, so I definitely want a new one that won't leach metals.

7. eating utensils (not sure if what I have is fine or if they need to replaced)

8. freezer containers and leftover containers

9. pots/frying pans... I have a new set of the Cooks Standard stainless pots and a small and large cast iron frying pan... what more could I want/need? 

I'd love any suggestions for what you have or love!  Thanks!

Becky

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
I am all about getting cast iron pots and pans at the thrift. We use glass containers that lock for our left overs . And I cook with bamboo spoons and cutting boards. Hope this helps!
#3 of 10 Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugz View Post

I started replacing my non-stick pots last year with stainless steel, then I ran out of steam and money.  So I'd like to replace my other cookware with better/healthier alternatives, but I'm not sure what to get... any suggestions for brands or particular dishes/items?   Here are the things I need suggestions for:

1. roasting pan, small/med for veggies and large for chickens

2. baking pans/cookie sheets

3. baking dishes (9x13, 8x8, etc)

4. cooking utensils... all of mine is the plastic stuff

5. microwave/toaster oven... need something to reheat leftovers and bake small dishes... and my oven won't heat below 175 degrees so I'd like something that can be set <150 for 12 hours for drying nuts if such a thing exists!

6. tea pot... I heat water/make tea several times a day, so I definitely want a new one that won't leach metals.

7. eating utensils (not sure if what I have is fine or if they need to replaced)

8. freezer containers and leftover containers

9. pots/frying pans... I have a new set of the Cooks Standard stainless pots and a small and large cast iron frying pan... what more could I want/need? 

I'd love any suggestions for what you have or love!  Thanks!

Becky

Hi Becky! Here's what we do:

1. We roast chickens whole in the oven in a glass pyrex 9x13 dish. Veggies get roasted in the oven on a stainless steel cookie sheet. See below.

2. Cookie sheet: We have ONE and it's stainless steel. Similar item on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainless-Steel-Jelly-Baking/dp/B000F741DU/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_y

3. Baking dishes - we have a 9x13 glass pyrex and an 8x8 glass pyrex. You can find these at Goodwill all the time!

4. Cooking utensils - we use stainless steel spatulas and spoons and I got my set at Ikea. And I use wooden spoons; I like the ones from Cost Plus World Market. Goodwill for stainless utensils, too!

5. We have a toaster oven; no microwave. I bought the smallest one I could find. It was $25 at the store. It reheats a plate of food in about 6-10 minutes. We used to have a large one and it would take 20 minutes to reheat food, so we sold that and bought a small one. We use square pyrex food storage containers to reheat. See below.

6. We use this glass whistler from Amazon. So easy to clean and works great!: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V5X826/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1    

7. If you like your silverware then keep it! It's probably fine.

8. I freeze things like broth and cooked beans and such in mason jars. For leftovers we use pyrex food storage containers (I see these at Goodwill sometimes, too. And they go on sale at our Fred Meyer): http://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-Storage-10-Piece-Clear-Blue/dp/B00005B8K5/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1392661154&sr=1-2&keywords=pyrex+storage

9. I don't think you need any more! I have a Le Creuset dutch oven (http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Signature-2-Quart-Cherry/dp/B008ADR6R4/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1392698445&sr=1-2&keywords=le+creuset) that I love and use daily, as well as two cast iron skillets for breakfast daily. In addition, I have a small stainless sauce pan (1 qt) and a large stainless steel stock pot.

I also use quite frequently my slow cooker. Any name brand will do - here's a lady who had all of them tested: http://www.terminalverbosity.com/2009/11/09/the-skinny-on-lead-in-crock-pots-it-may-surprise-you/

pumabearclan likes this.
#4 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

We use glass for everything. We have a small electric convection oven and do not own a microwave. We don't have a lot of frozen foods, but those that come in plastic stay in plastic until we use it, only thawing what we need. I don't cook to freeze, I only prep what will be eaten right away. All my utensils are stainless steel. We eat a lot of raw food and also cold food like smoked fish, so we minimize cooking.

Regarding tea kettles, we do use a metal one. I haven't been able to find a good alternative. Glass ones crack too easily.

#5 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
@LunaLady

Nordic naturals pans are aluminum, not SS!!!

Bring back the old MDC
#6 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaBearclan View Post

We use glass for everything. We have a small electric convection oven and do not own a microwave. We don't have a lot of frozen foods, but those that come in plastic stay in plastic until we use it, only thawing what we need. I don't cook to freeze, I only prep what will be eaten right away. All my utensils are stainless steel. We eat a lot of raw food and also cold food like smoked fish, so we minimize cooking.

Regarding tea kettles, we do use a metal one. I haven't been able to find a good alternative. Glass ones crack too easily.

The one I linked above has been great! And I'm not super duper careful with it or anything. I put it through the dishwasher regularly.
#7 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

@LunaLady

Nordic naturals pans are aluminum, not SS!!!

Curious. When I bought my Nordic Ware pan several years ago I was buying it TO replace aluminum ones, so I don't think I would have purposely bought aluminum again. Have they always been aluminum?
#8 of 10 Old 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

The Nordic Ware Naturals line has always been aluminum.  They are polished and shiny and look like stainless steel.  The one you linked to says aluminum right in the description, the company website labels them as aluminum, and if you Google "Nordic Ware Natural" 9 out of 10 search results mention aluminum.  

I feel like the way they make the pans look like SS is a deliberate deception, but that's just me.

Norpro makes excellent stainless steel bakeware which can be found on ebay for slightly less than an arm and a leg.

Bring back the old MDC
#9 of 10 Old 02-20-2014, 08:17 AM

I looked more into this. Best way to tell if something is aluminum is to try putting a magnet on it - the magnet shouldn't hold, or if it does it will be very, very easy to pull off. Aluminum isn't magnetic! thumb.gif

Anyhow, I went in the kitchen and pulled my pan out and a magnet off the fridge and VOILA! It stuck! And my pan is super shiny, it's not like the sort of cloudy shiny of aluminum. So, I'm pretty confident my pan is stainless steel.

I think I just confused Norpro with Nordic Naturals or something? I was just searching Amazon to find something similar to what I had bought in a store, and the Nordic Naturals one came up. I have updated my post with a NORPRO baking sheet that is stainless steel.

Thanks for the heads up, Blessedwithboys! I was worried there for a minute that I did indeed have an aluminum pan!!
#10 of 10 Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM

Amazon has a really good price on the size cookie sheet I have (I like this size because it's easy to wash in the sink AND it fits in the dishwasher!)
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainless-Steel-Jelly-Baking/dp/B000F741DU/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_y

$15 seems pretty good! thumb.gif

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page