Help me tweak my Primal spinach bread, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I am rather proud of what I've done with this so far!

Yeah yeah I know I should be "beyond" bread, and just have a veggie omelette for breafast. But sometimes nothing is as satisfying as a thick slice of bread with butter and honey in the morning, and the kids love it, and my DH is so glad he does not have to faff around with getting the eggs right for everyone, and come up with yet another Primal lunchbox idea. Plus, it's a great way to get in veggies my older kids wouldn't otherwise touch with a bargepole, to wit spinach or anything else green and leafy. BTW, for those who care about basic honesty in cooking, there is no "sneaking" here; even my colour blind oldest can tell that the bread turns green, but they have learned it does not mar the taste.

My current recipe is a mixture between Elana's Scrumptious Sandwich Bread (from the "Gluten-free Almond Flour Cookbook", http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Almond-Flour-Cookbook-Breakfasts-ebook/dp/B009FKRFOK/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1393018188, and this Yummy Basic Cake Recipe: http://simplybeingwell.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/yummy-basic-cake-recipe-gf-grain-free-can-be-cf-gaps/.

Elana's bread has a very pleasant mouthfeel and nice bready taste, but, using almond butter, is heavy on the omega 6 fatty acids, and altogether somewhat heavy in texture. So I tried for a fluffier texture and a lighter taste and instead of 3/4 cups almond butter and 1/4 cup almonds I use:

1 cup almond flour, soaked overnight in 4 tbsp fatty yoghurt. I whisk it with three eggs and add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tbsp linseed flour (for "stick", a handful of crushed linseeds (for texture) and 1/4 cup of potato starch. Elana uses arrowroot, which is harder to get and more expensive, and I had recently read about the miracle properties of potato starch, so I tried that. Bake in a pan greased with coconut oil and coated with crushed linseeds for about an hour at 350° F (160 C°), and voila, lovely honey tartines. Works just as well if you replace the crushed linseeds inside and out with sunflower seeds for a change but the kids prefer the linseeds, oh well.

I have a bit of a moisture problem when adding the veggies. I tried about 1/2 lb of frozen spinach leaves, defrosted, drained and pureed with a handheld blender, and the bread took forever and was still soggy when we finally couldn't wait any longer (though still nice with butter and honey...) Tonight, I squeezed the spinach for all I was worth, but it was barely blend-able afterwards, and I needed to add a tbsp of olive oil, inspired by Elana's olive rosemary bread which I like but the kids didn't (grrr).. Which made for a nice smell but is yet more omega 6. DH just took it out of the oven, it's needed quite a bit more than an hour's baking, and we'll test it tomorrow, but it smells and looks very nice.

Thoughts? I have no idea whether the soaking in yoghurt does anything for the nutritional properties of the almond flour, kill the phytates or whatever, but I like the texture it gives the bread. It's also somewhat cheaper, and I like to think adds some saturated fats as opposed to omega 6. I have tried Elana's bread with hazelnut butter as opposed to almonds and that was actually much nicer yet, so will try out soaking hazelnut meal next and using that. I've tried both carrots and zucchini with it and like the taste, but it went soggy on me, like my first spinach attempts did. Maybe grate it the day before and let it dry out a bit? Any helpful tips? There isn't much of a point adding carrots since this is the one vegetable everyone in the house will eat anyway, but it would be nice to vary the veggies by whatever strikes me as needing to be used up in the fridge. Any starch ideas? is this a way to keep the nothing-if-not-miraculous properties of potato starch? And has anyone an idea which herbs I could sneak in to make it taste even "breadier" (I am thinking rosemary, but like I said the kids complained...will have to add just a leetle pinch next, slowly does it...

Looking forward very much to breakfast tomorrow...

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Thanks for the info!

Tags
Traditional Foods
User Tag List