Chicken Broth Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-18-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, I usually make chicken broth with my chicken carcasses after we've eaten the meat.  However, I can't keep up with demand for broth that way, so I've purchased organic chicken backs and necks to make broth with.  Question: Do I roast the chicken first (as I would with beef bones) or do I just throw them in the pot with veg and herbs?  Any recipes or techniques would also be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#2 of 7 Old 03-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Yes you just throw them in a pot and boil them.

Have you ever heard of chicken bouillon cubes or buying chicken broth in the can?

Free Instant Life Insurance Quote

What would your family do if you died?

#3 of 7 Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopwood04 View Post

Have you ever heard of chicken bouillon cubes or buying chicken broth in the can?

:eyesroll

I make chicken broth from scratch because it tastes better and it is so so healthy for my family.  The same benefits will not be derived from canned broth or bouillon cubes.  I think most people who post in Traditional Foods make broth for the same reason.  It is so easy, why buy canned??  

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#4 of 7 Old 03-18-2014, 07:27 PM

I understand and applause.  I was just saying in the time of crunch and you need it now. 

Free Instant Life Insurance Quote

What would your family do if you died?

#5 of 7 Old 03-20-2014, 01:44 PM

I think you will get your answer from KgReciPes.com

#6 of 7 Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 AM

We have the same problem at our house, so I understand.  Even if I roast a chicken a week, we still rarely have as much stock around as I'd like.

My opinion is to just boil them.    The main reason I roast my chicken first is because that is how I like to eat the meat  (yuck to boiled meat!) but since you woudn't be trying to use meat from those it probably isn't worth the extra step.  Obviously different with beef bones as you mentioned.  I've made stock with a whole raw chicken and it was delicious but I found the meat unpleasant so I just use the leftover bones as you do.

Where did you find the backs/necks if I may ask?  I'd love to purchase a bunch for the freezer but they seem hard to come by.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#7 of 7 Old 03-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I use chicken backs and necks lots. We cut them into small pieces and then brown them in oil.. Then take them out and sauté onions, carrots and celery in the fat.. Add back chicken add water.. Put lid on and simmer. It tastes great!

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page