GAPS and success with Adult (or child) ADD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-24-2014, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This may not be in the right spot, but I figured since it involves traditional food, it might be a good place to start. (And it seems like there used to be a more appropriate place to post this, but I can't seem to find it now).

I've been wanting to do the GAPS diet for a long while. I believe I have undiagnosed ADD, and in the past year or two, the symptoms have worsened. Anyway, I'm looking into psychiatric evaluation/treatment right now (and have started counseling- but for other issues.)

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone on here has tried GAPS (or Paleo, or whatever) and seen improvement in ADD symptoms. I guess I'm more interested in how it goes for adults, since it seems like the planning and execution of the diet is pretty mentally challenging for a "regular person" let alone for someone who not is so good at the planning ahead and the like. (As well as actually sticking to the diet).

Anybody have any input? I guess I'm just looking for encouraging stories or whatever. TIA! :-)

Actually, I'm a joyful mom of three and counting! (I was a tad short-sighted when picking my username!) Married to DH since 2006, mom of DS (2007), DD (2009), DS2 (2012) and a new little one expected early May 2015!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also have undiagnosed ADD, and have always struggled with it. The one thing I found really helped was cutting sugar out of my diet. My motivation has always been awful and I've always had trouble completing projects or getting things done. But when I cut sugar out of my diet I suddenly had all this motivation to do all the things I had trouble making myself do. I read somewhere recently that cutting out sugar, gluten and dairy will help with ADD symptoms more than anything. I've been eating a primal diet for a few years now, but I've never managed to cut out dairy, so that's my next plan. I'm hoping it will make a difference.

#3 of 3 Old 03-25-2014, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My brother didn't do full GAPS, but he did lots and lots of bone broth for a while, and ate very basic and clean. (Basically bacon and eggs, select veggies and plain meat, some nuts, sweet potatoes).

It was a night and day difference for him. It was really surprising. He was working 18 hour days at the time, and was clear headed and had steady energy all day, and he wasn't drinking coffee, either.

He does well at his job (demanding upper level management), but has to work a lot harder than those around him. He has learned to create a lot of his own scaffolding in terms.of ways.to keep on task, meet deadlines, and when he is aware enough to make a good decision, and when he should defer or delay.

He said gaps just lifted this cloud and fog he feels like he lives in, and made everything so much easier. When he starts feeling off again, he does a broth fast for a few days to reset.

Tags
Traditional Foods

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page