Starting a Paleo Diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am getting ready to start a Paleo diet, my blood was drawn to show results of before and after. Also, physical features are going to be shown... My challenge is I am addicted to sugar and I have a major sweet tooth and I love carbs. From my understanding from Dr. Wolfson I will be eating traditional foods from prehistoric days of a low carb, higher protein foods. I have been reading his blog http://wolfsonintegrativecardiology.com/paleo-diet/ 

I am getting excited and trying to wing myself off the junk that I am used to consuming. My question is has anyone made a change like overnight, cold turkey or has anyone had to slowly roll into it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

If you are addicted to carbs/sugar you should expect to have very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. It took me a year of on/off weaning. I was like you VERY addicted and I had an awful time transitioning. I think it's somewhat dangerous to go cold turkey, as well as being counterproductive as you will become perfectly sick if you do. I recommend that you start by substitute carbs like pasta & natural potato chips for the sugar, and then gradually lower those carbs, eating more and more protein and also increasing fat intake. Protein, once you are acclimated to it, will increasingly curb your carb cravings. I recommend that you join a low-carb support group too, even if it isn't paleo, because low-carb is going to have more of an immediate impact than the paleo aspect (I've even known of paleo diets that were basically all carbs).

I've been blissfully low-carb for a decade and it changed my life. I can't recommend it strongly enough!

I am not familiar with the website you posted, but there are 2 basic techniques: if you aren't getting fuel from carbs, you must get it from protein and fat. Fat is the most efficient fuel, and the body only needs a certain amount of protein each day, so it's probable that you will have to learn to embrace fat despite the message that it is bad for you. I eat most calories from fat. I follow a daily ratio of 1g protein : 1g carbohydrate : 2g fat. The other technique is to eat low-fat & low-carb with tons of protein which I think is wasteful and hard on the body, but several diets are mostly protein like the Dukan diet and Atkins.

I found that I could feel satiated with about half the volume of food that I was eating in my carb days, as long as it was high fat with adequate protein - much better for the body and the budget. There are so many benefits.

So go slowly, learning and growing on the way :)

Congratulations on your decision!

#3 of 11 Old 05-16-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

That was very, very helpful Thank you so much for that information.... I actually have noticed excatly what you said with the cold turkey... My body starves and craves and even operates differently than when I run on junk food, my normal food. I will have to go slowly for sure.

Kind Regards,

Scott

pumabearclan likes this.
#4 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

am not so convinced about the "going slow" approach .... i got the Zoe Harcombe book where she recommends a 5 days elimination diet to start with on her eating plan, during which, there's no sugar, no fruit and only 50 gr or brown rice or 50 gr of quinoa or up to 75 gr of oats allowed per day (the rest being free quantities of any animal protein - but not cheese- and any veggies + olive oil and plain yogurt with no lactose added in the ingredient list)

so one is not hungry (free quantities of the allowed food categories except for starches)& depending on which addiction one has (a friend of mine was seriously addicted to diet soda)

the second, third and possibly fourth day may feel rough (not everybody's experience, depend on your own gut imbalance etc ....

as for me i "only" had to go to bed very early on the 3rd day & was feeling MUCH better the next morning)

BUT by day 5, the body IS sort of rejuvenated and i'm convinced that the brain chemistry has changed

even in only 5 days

because i DID experienced it (twice ,since i re-introduced food which didn't agree with me too early so started again another 5 days plan a few weeks later ) and am feeling much better now

+ talked about it around me and at least 9 people whom i know have tried that eating plan ..... with only positive things to say about it

so i now believe that it's possible to get rid of food addictions in only 5 days .... (if you start on a Monday you'll feel much better by the Fiday of the same week, what is a week in a lifetime ? ... in a lifetime of feeling trapped by some sort of food addiction ?

it might be hard for 5 days .... but "it's only 5 days" & the sense of freedom afterwards it well worth it ...

#5 of 11 Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 AM

With carb addiction, especially if the diet is high in sugar, a person can become quite sick from insulin imbalance. It can be serious.

A few times during the very beginning I almost fainted and was often too weak or foggy to drive a car at times during the first month. All the while I was eating a lot of fat and protein - plenty of calories. Another problem with going cold turkey can be the shock of the withdrawal symptoms causes a loss of belief in the new diet (if it's good for you why am I so sick?) and binging on carbs out of desperation. I do advise going slowly because I think it's better to make a permanent change even if it takes awhile, also why shock the system unnecessarily.

Obviously it's best to make the change as quickly as possible, though, and for some people that may be only a few days. The resource you mentioned sounds great, very helpful!

#6 of 11 Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking would some kind of a cleanse to even jump start all this... I know when having the flu and throwing up all of what the body has and sweating out alot of chemicals the body has leaves and then the stomach is smaller and it almost feels like a new start... do they make some kind of a cleanse to get rid of all the chemicals the body has to help start a diet... just thinking  

#7 of 11 Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 AM

have been using psyllium ... suppose you can find it in a health food store ...

where i live it's also easy to go and buy activated charcoal (in a fine powder that i dilute in water, then i sip with a straw ... if not, inside of mouth gets black for a while,

it passes .... but is not very sightly in the meantime ...) but got some dirty looks by the pharmacist when i was living in the US and tried to buy some ....

so not sure how available that would be ....

pumabearclan likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 05-21-2014, 03:05 PM

I use black salt, which is salt coated in charcoal, to gargle & also use it in food sometimes. You can get it in gourmet stores. I don't use a sinus cleanse, but if you do you can use black salt also. You can drink edible clay, I use french green clay, for a good cleanse, also if you can tolerate it, a diluted clay enema is helpful (Don't use salt in the bowel!) You can also use sauna or steam bath to help eliminate toxins.

Cleansing like this is a good idea, and I do it about once a week (more if I'm feeling not up to par). It relieves strain on the organs to cleanse the body.

Obviously drink a lot of water if you are going to cleanse through sweat or clay.

#9 of 11 Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post
am not so convinced about the "going slow" approach .... i got the Zoe Harcombe book where she recommends a 5 days elimination diet to start with on her eating plan, during which, there's no sugar, no fruit and only 50 gr or brown rice or 50 gr of quinoa or up to 75 gr of oats allowed per day (the rest being free quantities of any animal protein - but not cheese- and any veggies + olive oil and plain yogurt with no lactose added in the ingredient list)
so one is not hungry (free quantities of the allowed food categories except for starches)& depending on which addiction one has (a friend of mine was seriously addicted to diet soda)
the second, third and possibly fourth day may feel rough (not everybody's experience, depend on your own gut imbalance etc ....
as for me i "only" had to go to bed very early on the 3rd day & was feeling MUCH better the next morning)
BUT by day 5, the body IS sort of rejuvenated and i'm convinced that the brain chemistry has changed
even in only 5 days
because i DID experienced it (twice ,since i re-introduced food which didn't agree with me too early so started again another 5 days plan a few weeks later ) and am feeling much better now
+ talked about it around me and at least 9 people whom i know have tried that eating plan ..... with only positive things to say about it
so i now believe that it's possible to get rid of food addictions in only 5 days .... (if you start on a Monday you'll feel much better by the Fiday of the same week, what is a week in a lifetime ? ... in a lifetime of feeling trapped by some sort of food addiction ?
it might be hard for 5 days .... but "it's only 5 days" & the sense of freedom afterwards it well worth it ...

Are you able to eat beans on her diet? If so, at what point?
I watched a couple of her videos, but I did not see a mention of beans/legumes?

Are avocados ok?

Also, she has several books, which one should I get?

And finally, why does she not like mushrooms? I thought they were neautral.

Thanks in advance.
#10 of 11 Old 07-25-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaFrench View Post
even in only 5 days

From what you have read, can you combine avocado, white rice, beans, broccoli together in one meal?

Thanks for your help.
#11 of 11 Old 07-26-2014, 04:41 PM

no to your last question ... that kind of combining ... is only for phase 3, = when you have already lost all the weight you want to loose, ... and in moderation (otherwise you put back on the weight you lost in phase 1 and phase 2)

avocado are a "no" for phase 1 because they are fruit
in phase 2, eat them in moderation because they have both a high content of fat (15g per 100 g) and a high content of carbohydrate (9g per 100g) and make sure you eat them as part of a fat meal
in phase 3, they are a healthy cheat

Pulses are protein and carbohydrate, with hardly any fat, so they need to be part of a carb meal

Mushroom are not recommended in case you are afflicted by Candida

Broccoli is part of the vegetable group so can be added to either a carb meal (with pulses for exemple) OR with a fat meal (with avocado)

White rice is not recommended on the Harcombe diet. Brown rice and other whole/unrefined carbs are thought to be a better option

the book i got is "Stop counting calories & start losing weight:the Harcombe Diet" by Zoe Harcombe

Tags
Traditional Foods

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page