Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By BitesofHealth
  • 1 Post By sillysapling

#1 of 6 Old 06-02-2014, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Kombucha questions, please help. Thank you.

I keep hearing how great kombucha is.

My question is, if it is made with lots of sugar, could this be harmful to diabetics, or trigger diabetes? Pleae help me understand.

Also, can it be made just with the scoby, or do I need a bottle of kombucha to start off with, in addition to the scoby?

Are there any harmful side effects of drinking this?

How many glasses a day should you drink? Or can you drink?

Thanks in advance
#2 of 6 Old 06-02-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryangels View Post
I keep hearing how great kombucha is.

My question is, if it is made with lots of sugar, could this be harmful to diabetics, or trigger diabetes? Pleae help me understand.

Also, can it be made just with the scoby, or do I need a bottle of kombucha to start off with, in addition to the scoby?

Are there any harmful side effects of drinking this?

How many glasses a day should you drink? Or can you drink?

Thanks in advance
The sugar is reduced by the bacteria and yeast. It's what they use for food.

You need to start with the scoby and a cup or so of mature kombucha. Don't do this with the bottled stuff.

I only ever have good effects but I suppose you need to start slow and build up in quantity and be mindful of sanitation.

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 6 Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
The sugar is reduced by the bacteria and yeast. It's what they use for food.

You need to start with the scoby and a cup or so of mature kombucha. Don't do this with the bottled stuff.

I only ever have good effects but I suppose you need to start slow and build up in quantity and be mindful of sanitation.

First of all, thanks so much for your tips regarding the kombucha.
But, where can I get mature kombucha? I thought that was in the bottles.... I am a bit ignorant on kombucha.

Second, I agree with your signature: BRING BACK THE OLD Mothering boards, I cannot stand all of the constant changes to this website. I wish we could have the same old one from years ago. We also had more active posters back then, makes you wonder.....In the past, you would post something, and within minutes someone would be answering you back, several people,
it was that active. It was easier to navigate. It seems like such a different place. I hate when companies change things for the worse, another example is yahoo & hotmail Add Mothering. com to the list......Sad indeed.

Thanks for the help.
#4 of 6 Old 06-04-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Kombucha can be anywhere from very sweet to vinegar. When I made it I found that in order to ferment it to the point that there was little sugar left (SCOBY having digested nearly all of it) it didn't taste good. I don't make kombucha any more due to the sugar content. Occasionally I buy it from my dairy farmer as a treat. It's like tea soda, IMO, and we are a sugar-free household.

We eat a lot of raw food, including meat and dairy, and especially cabbage and cukes, and I think that's better than kombucha.
#5 of 6 Old 06-14-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some experience with Kombucha so I thought I'd share my two-bits here.

First off - if you don't have a previous batch of Kombucha to start your next batch with (if, for example, this is your very first batch), you can use vinegar in place of the Kombucha. Especially if you are hydrating a dried scoby, as you won't be drinking this first batch anyway.

As for the sugar content - as previously mentioned, the bacteria in the scoby actually feed off this sugar and digest it, turning it into the beneficial probiotics that Kombucha is known for. The longer you ferment it for, the less sugar will be in the end product. If you are really concerned about sugar and want as little as possible in your Kombucha but don't like the taste of it when it gets to that stage, there are other ways you can use it, such as in salad dressing (in place of vinegar), or you can even mix it with water so it's not as strong.

If you have never had Kombucha before, I would recommend starting with about 1/4 cup per day. See how you feel and go from there. Some people do have reactions to it, especially if their gut bacteria is out of balance. But this can be avoided by starting slowly and increasing your daily amount bit by bit. I personally wouldn't drink more than about 1 cup per day.

If you still feel like you don't want any of the sugar in your diet but you do want the probiotic benefits - try making homemade traditional sauerkraut!

I hope that helps!
#6 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
You might want to look into water kefir, I find it less daunting than kombucha. According to my research, kombucha takes over a week to make- water kefir takes 1-3 days. If you're used to doing things like your own pickling and fermenting, which can take a few weeks, it's probably not as daunting.

Yes, the bacteria eat most of the sugar (not 100% of it, it's likely that a small amount will remain). The longer you leave it, the more sugar is gone- although be careful that you don't leave it too long and starve the SCOBY.

Start small. If you have a really unhealthy gut, you may need to start with a tablespoon or even less a day. Some people find they crave this kind of food when they first get it, wanting to gorge on it because their body has been so deprived of it- don't. It's better to be careful and ease yourself up. I don't know of any limit to how much you can drink, I think some people will drink a glass with every meal.
countryangels likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page