Sourdough Newbie-- Need Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Sourdough Newbie-- Need Help

I try to master one traditional food each year. This is the year for sourdough. What kind of flour to feed my starter? Do I need to use the same flour for feeding as I do for baking? Any good resources you can recommend for recipes? I was thinking of using Whole Wheat pastry... I do not have a grinder and have no plans to start any time soon, so I need something readily available....

I know I don't want to try the Nourishing Traditions recipe-- I've heard awful things. And I just don't know enough about baking or bread-making to know a bad recipe when I see one.

I'm really open to any tips/suggestions/recipes/and how you do it yourself. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With this excellent resource I have made 3 delicious loaves of sourdough with no kneading experience in the past.
http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/sourdough-bread

I just feed my sourdough white unbleached flour, the cheap stuff from the store. I then use freshly ground wheat berries for the loaves.

I leave my sourdough in the fridge between uses, and take it out the morning I am going to make bread and feed it. I've found it easily take equal parts flour to however much starter exists. I add water each time I feed it then stir it with a wooden spoon handle for a couple minutes. It seems to only take a few hours to bubble up and fully activate, ready for use! There's lots of room for experimentation... it's hard to mess up.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Thank you, Alexor! I'll check the link now.

User Tag List