What would Traditiona; first baby foods be? At what age? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 of 13 Old 09-03-2014, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question What would Traditiona; first baby foods be? At what age?

So hoping someone can give me a little cliffnotes version, baby and other sibs are running me ragged and though I feel a pull, no time to study Weston Price deeply right now. I have a 6.5 month old w/one tooth and lots of interest in our food, is quite large and chubby for his age so doing fine on just breastmilk, what if anything would traditional foods peeps want me to start feeding him? TIA!!!!

Last edited by Wildflower; 09-03-2014 at 11:38 PM. Reason: spelling it title can't fix oh well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are things called oligosacharrides produced in your breast milk that are designed specifically from your diet. The best foods are those that you consume because that's what your baby's gut is being prepped to receive. Within reason obviously no nuts, choky bits hot wings, etc. But no point giving baby sweet potato if you wouldn't touch the stuff yourself.

My babies had lots of broth and rice, fruit and cooked mashed veg but only if that's what I was making already.
#3 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
WAPF recommends a lightly boiled egg yolk-- I do not. It made my baby vomit, and countless of other babies too if you bother reading the comment section on their blog.

I like avocado as a first food because I love them and always have them on hand. Next I make a pate with ghee and organic chicken livers. Then I do grated grass-fed cow liver. From there, I offer fermented sweet potato.

I only fed one of my babies the WAPF way from the start, but I think you have some flexibility. They recommend animal products because your baby already has the needed enzymes for digestion.

I seriously love the book Super Nutrition for Babies because it breaks down feeding what foods and when without being an enormous book to slog through. Easy recipes, too. Hope that helps! Enjoy solids with your growing babe.
#4 of 13 Old 09-07-2014, 12:19 AM

#5 of 13 Old 09-07-2014, 12:21 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf8O...XjREtzVeydD_Jp

Traditionally babies are fed breastmilk and grain mushes all around the world.
#6 of 13 Old 09-07-2014, 12:21 AM

and fruits and some soft veggies. most importantly though breastmilk and not cows.
#7 of 13 Old 09-07-2014, 12:32 AM

#8 of 13 Old 09-09-2014, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Really, if you're eating mostly traditional foods already, then just whatever you're eating. I like to combine WAPF with BLW. As mentioned above, I don't think it's super necessary to spend extra time making foods for baby that you don't eat. Eggs, avocado...stewed meat was always a HUGE favorite, as was salted bone marrow (I don't usually eat the marrow, but I use marrow bones for broth). I've made an unsweetened custard with lots of egg yolks and cream (it's raw cream, but then baked in the custard so no longer raw) and bone marrow. Big favorite. The recipe is I think on Mommypotamus, I just omit the honey. I think grated liver is recommended, but I never eat plain liver like that so I never gave it to DS. I do buy primal ground beef that has organs mixed in, and he eats that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#9 of 13 Old 09-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Also, there's now a Traditional Foods for Mother and Baby book out. I thought most of the nutritional info was great, but Sally Fallon is for some reason bizarrely opposed to BLW and strongly advocates spoon feeding (weird) and the book also oddly strays into parenting territory, and her advice is also oddly not traditional...I read it thinking she needed to read Continuum Concept immediately and put down the Steiner.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#10 of 13 Old 09-12-2014, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiest View Post
Also, there's now a Traditional Foods for Mother and Baby book out. I thought most of the nutritional info was great, but Sally Fallon is for some reason bizarrely opposed to BLW and strongly advocates spoon feeding (weird) and the book also oddly strays into parenting territory, and her advice is also oddly not traditional...I read it thinking she needed to read Continuum Concept immediately and put down the Steiner.

Yup-- I bought this and it went to the trash. I thought I was getting a more thorough look at the unique digestive needs for babies, but... just a bunch of Steiner nonsense. I will say she does have a point about digestion beginning with chewing, but I don't think we need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak.

@Wildflower , if you think of it, let us know how feeding your little one goes. I personally love hearing stories about what works for people and why.
#11 of 13 Old 09-12-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ok, thx for the primer ladies! I'm still paralyzed with indecision. Only 7 mos old though, I guess, lots of time!
#12 of 13 Old 09-17-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
My daughter ate probably hundreds of soft boiled eggs throughout childhood, including weaning, and it never made her sick. Eggs are incredibly nutritious and a very traditional weaning food. So I wouldn't discount them because some children were sensitive; they may be OK for your baby. I mashed up the whites very fine with a fork & stirred in a bit of butter and a tsp of baby cereal.
#13 of 13 Old 09-19-2014, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
after 6 months old, sit baby on your lap as you eat and look at what baby is interested in from your plate ... then make sure it's well mashed to start with, can spoon feed or put whatever bloobls of suitably soft food directly on tray if using high chair so that baby can grab and put stuff to mouth ....

Tags
Baby Food

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page