OK, took a big old swig of some Kefir...was not expecting that at all! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter
cjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep reading threads about Kefir and how good it is for you and how delicious it is. I was in Co-op and what do I see but some Kefir, so I buy some. The lid read that if the cap is bulging then that's an indication that the product is good. I'm thinking...OK. I open it and it stinks, kind of like soggy socks. I stir it up and pour some into a glass and take a drink...I was not expecting fizz. I'm describing it to dh who I will never be able to convince to give it a try after the way I described it...it was like a fizzy yop that smells like soggy socks.

Now, I know there are a lot of you ladies here who love this stuff. Do you get used to the smell. I must say that it's hard to drink yogurt with fizz. I could get used to it. I know I sound like I hated it, but really I did'nt. It was just unexpected.

I do have a question. I know you all make it, but what's in it. I have read a thread about needing grains to make it, but the engredients were just like yogurt. So, what's the difference and in a nut shell how is it made so that it's fizzy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 12:23 PM

Actually, Kefir should not be fizzy, that is an indication that it is NOT good! All it is is an old-fashioned type of yogurt that has a stronger, tangier taste than regular yogurt, and has more beneficial bacteria. I've eaten Kefir since I was a kid, and have definitely gotten some bad batches, so I can tell the difference. I'm sorry your first experience with it was with a batch that had gone bad! Also, I don't know about the lid bulging being a good sign . Doesn't sound good to me. Good luck with the next batch, if you try it again!
#3 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 12:36 PM

Yeah, kefir shouldn't be fizzy. You should try a new container. I belive that kefir grains refers to the microflora (bacteria, cultures) and a polysaccaride that holds these together to form "grains". It is mysterious stuff and I am by no means an expert. I just made some honey sweetened, whole wheat raspberry muffins with kefir and they turned out really good.
#4 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 01:17 PM

Actually, Kefir making produces carbon dioxide (the stuff that gives soda pop it's 'fizz'. So you can have 'fizzy' Kefir, especially if you are brewing with a tight fitting lid on.

However, the longer it brews, the stronger the flavor. It should smell kinda like a cross between buttermilk and yogurt, depending on the medium it's brewed in. (Goat milk, cow milk, or other liquids). It might just have brewed too long and developed really 'strong' flavor/smell.

Store bought Kefir is closer in nature to 'strong tasting yogurt', and really isn't the same thing as Kefir produced from living 'grains'. I'd be surprised if the stuff you purchased is all that similar to 'Real Kefir' as the 'Dom of Kefir' would call it.
I would think that stuff 'could go bad' in comparison to brewed Kefir, which just gets a stronger flavor and odor.

You can substitute Kefir for any recipe calling for buttermilk or sour milk. It makes the dough really tender and soft.

The Kefir 'grains' which look like slighty soft, (like sticky rice), 'masses' are the symbiotic organisms that produce the polysaccharides and 'convert' your milk to the cultured product. They are composed of healthy yeasts and bacteria. You need someone to send you about a teaspoon to Tablespoon worth of this 'starter'; they will grow and reproduce, eventuallly you can then send out a 'starter' to another or make back up (dried) grains or experiment with your extras in different liquids (water/juice kefir, etc).

Here is the link to the 'King of Kefir'. It's a bit much to read, but worth taking the time!

I made Kefir 'sourdough' by using Kefir soaked whole wheat flour. If there wasn't 'fizzy' carbon dioxide production, then it would not have been able to rise...and...it rose All brewed products with yeast will have CO2 as a by product. (Beer/mead/wine making, sourdough, 'real' Kefir, etc)

Hth and here is 'Dom's' website on Kefir:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html
#5 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 01:26 PM

Xenabyte, you are awesome.
#6 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
cjr

Thank you so much. This stuff is store bought and is very very strong. I'm afraid to drink it now. Thanks for the link.
#7 of 9 Old 09-15-2004, 11:29 PM

I've got grains free for shipping for anyone who wants to try it out ($1.25 in Calif and $3.85 in the rest of the US)

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#8 of 9 Old 09-16-2004, 12:03 AM

I would love to try it- I will PM you.
#9 of 9 Old 09-16-2004, 12:52 AM

Sort of OT. . . Does anyone have any experience with those dairy-allergic individuals being able to consume kefir? We are not talking lactose intolerant, but true allergic (eczema) reaction. I have been looking for raw milk to see if we could drink that and not have a reaction, but can't find any.

Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page