Store bought Kefir grains... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-24-2004, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
cjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
are they any good? I can get a box of Kefir grains at my local health food store, they are $3.50CAD/box and the instructions seem pretty easy. Would they be any good?
#2 of 14 Old 09-24-2004, 03:37 PM

Are they selling real Kefir grains, or a freeze dried packet with Lactic Bacteria and Yeasts and skim milk powder (in otherwords, a starter kinda like yogurt)?

If it's the Canadian product, Yogourmet Kefir Starter, then it's gonna be tasty, but it's not REAL Kefir Grains. You can make up a batch, but it will not continue to 'propogate' like Real, Live Kefir Grains will. It's still a nice cultured product, but it's NOT the stuff that we are refering to, when we talk about Kefir Grains. The packed starters will make something closer to buttermilk, but milder. The finished product might even be able to 'culture' milk with it used as a starter, but eventually it will lose it's 'culturing' powers and you will have a product that definitely is NOT Kefir and it'll get stringy and such like using yogurt culture too much.

Hth
#3 of 14 Old 09-24-2004, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
cjr

Thanks so much. I think I will try the brand you are refering to until I can get my hands on the real stuff. Which leads to me asking who was it that had extra kefir grains she was sending to people? Will you, or can you send some up my way? I would be happy to pay for them.

Thanks
#4 of 14 Old 09-24-2004, 04:11 PM

I'd be happy to ship you some of my VERY healthy grains...I'm in Colorado, and if you are up in Canada, it might be cheaper, and faster to find someone local.

If you can't, I can find out what a little package would cost to send and let you know. I would only ask for shipping charges back.

I have friends up in VC, BC and I sent them a package for Christmas (not too big a box and OMG, the shiping cost more than what I paid for the gifts...and it took a fairly long time to 'cross the border'.

PM me your mailing address, and I'll look into cost and let you know how much we are talking. We would want a fairly fast ship, but not so fast (overnight) that the price will be ungodly!

If any of the other Kefir Grain shippers have done a 'cross the border ship' let me know your experience and could you let me/us know about how much to expect to pay for shipping. tia
#5 of 14 Old 09-26-2004, 01:34 PM

Heather -- I haven't shipped to Canada yet, so I have no idea either.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#6 of 14 Old 09-26-2004, 06:18 PM

Heh, Gale, I know you're the 'queen' of Kefir shipping..I was hoping you might have done so (shipped to Canada) already!

I will just bite the bullet if it's 'reasonable' on costs, since I know Cjr really wants to try them! I REALLY got to cul the herd on mine...my Kefir cultures so fast, I need to give some away to slow down production!

I will get boxes on Monday and will PM you CJR when they on the way.
#7 of 14 Old 09-26-2004, 06:45 PM

I've been shipping grains out left and right for the past month and still have them coming out of my ears. We used to eat them regularly to keep a handle on them. I need to get back into that routine. I just put them in the bottom of a glass and pour a smoothie over them. When I get to the bottom, I eat the grains with a spoon. They are a bit like eating sour rubber bands.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#8 of 14 Old 09-26-2004, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
cjr

That sounds great. Thanks so much.
#9 of 14 Old 09-27-2004, 02:17 AM

I have three PMs with interest in getting grains.

If anyone else wants some, just PM me with your mailing address. I will start a list. I'm in Colorado, so take that into account for 'shipping' time. If Gale is closer to you, you might want to get on her list

When I have the grains ready, I'll PM you when they are on their way. I have a Paypal account and will also give you my email address via PM so you can just cover the shipping charge.

#10 of 14 Old 09-27-2004, 11:30 AM

I'm in California, so we don't offer a whole lot of geographical diversity. What I've been doing in terms of shipping is sending them regular mail within California (about $1.50) and priority outside ($3.85). Anyone with a surplus of grains on the East Coast or Canada?

Just to make another plug here: I started with kefir after 9 months on a candida diet. I had been eating yogurt for about 6 months and I know the yogurt made a difference, but the kefir seemed to make an even bigger difference in restoring my digestive tract. I think both are important, so I am still eating yogurt, but I would not go without kefir. And it's just the cost of milk to prepare once you get the grains.

#11 of 14 Old 09-27-2004, 03:58 PM

I'm also in Canada (Saskatchewan) - would either of you be willing to sell me some also? Thanks.
#12 of 14 Old 09-27-2004, 04:42 PM

Ok, here is some REALLY helpful info

I was checking into shipping from US into Canada and we have to do a 'customs' declaration for shipping, plus as a 'food item' it is subject to many 'issues'. So here is an awesome site I found, where you can search in your own state, province, country and will most likely find someone in your area (cheaper to ship that way too)

http://66.46.11.99/clarkson/Show/Cla...ir/default.asp

You can just click 'search for grains' then enter in your country, or state. I did a search on 'Canada' and got MANY hits.

I did pick up some priority mail boxes, so if you are in or near Colorado, I'm still happy to send them. I also typed up a nice, compact version of the 'fact sheet' on Kefir, with info on slowing down production, long term storage, dehydrating and rehydrating, etc. I can email you this file in 'MS Word' format, if you want to get that from me and print it. No charge, obviously, as emailing is free!

I'll even try to ship grains to Canada if you are DESPERATE, however, they might get 'snagged' by customs, as they are kinda twitchy about this stuff...

We should sticky a thread with Kefir info, as so many folks are getting interested in this...
#13 of 14 Old 09-27-2004, 04:58 PM

Cool, thanks Xenabyte, there's someone right here in Saskatoon!!
cjr, I'll let you know if I manage to access some - should be no trouble for me to send some to Alberta (although, you may be able to find some nearby)
#14 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 08:44 PM

I would love to buy some kefir grains from you.  I am in Western Nebraska and haven't found any nearby.  Let me know if you have any available for sale if so, how much?

Thanks.

Barb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page