Got Kefir? - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peek-a-boo View Post
Since I started adding molasses to my water kefir, I've been getting great fizz.

Now, I think it may be going too far though, lol. I'm brewing for 48 hours, my house is 70 degrees, but I keep the water kefir on top of my cupboards, so it might be slightly warmer up there. But, seriously, I think the alcohol content is too high. I'm a serious light weight when it comes to alcohol and if I drink an 8 oz glass, I feel a little buzzed, lol.

My DH is a homebrewer, so on the next batch I'm going to have him help me test the alcohol percentage.

Not sure how to remedy this . . . maybe should just enjoy the idea of a cocktail with lunch.
Try brewing for less time. The alcohol forms during longer brewing times at warmer temperatures. I'll be curious as to how much alcohol it was forming.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 PM

Hello Ladies,
I'm very new at this site.
my childrens are not babies any more and i like to start giving them kefir.
my problem is i dont know how to get them free.
on ebay they are asking so much and on the free kefir site no one has or only pick up available far away.
any of you could help me out here? i'm dying to start making my own kefirs again
i also like some water kefir.
i could offer some iranian saffron instead.
thanks
Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM

Here's a coleslaw recipe that gets me rave reviews everytime - modified from Restaurant-Style Coleslaw I on Allrecipes.com.

Kefir Coleslaw
1 (16 ounce) package coleslaw mix
2 tablespoons minced onion
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup kefir curds (drain through coffee filter)
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (or less to taste)

DIRECTIONS

Combine the coleslaw and onion in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, kefir, vinegar and lemon juice; mix until smooth. Pour mixture over the coleslaw and onion; stir well and chill for 1 hour.

This starts out dry but gets creamy, not watery, if using the kefir curd. I age the kefir until it separates and the curd is thick. Tartness depends on the kefir so proceed according to your taste.

Enjoy
Rox
Old 03-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anikomaier View Post
any of you could help me out here? i'm dying to start making my own kefirs again
i also like some water kefir.
i could offer some iranian saffron instead.
thanks
Ask on the kefir swap thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=517191

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the kefir coleslaw recipe.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:39 AM

Hey everyone. Let me start by saying that before I picked up some grains from a friend, I'd never had kefir before. So I honestly have no idea how it should taste. But the last two batches I've made have tasted (and smell) VERY heavily of alcohol. Not only do I not like alcohol, but I'm LDS, and therefore not allowed to drink it. Now, I knew it was a possiblity with juice and kefir grains, but milk?? And what am I doing wrong that it would come out like that? My grains are growing fine, so I feel like I can't be doing anything but so wrong. But I definitely don't like the alcohol taste/smell. (I just made smoothies with 2tbls of concentrated grape juice and some frozen berries to a cup of kefir and it turned out fine, but just the thought that I might be drinking alcohol bothers me). Anyway, any advice?

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
Old 03-29-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Hey everyone. Let me start by saying that before I picked up some grains from a friend, I'd never had kefir before. So I honestly have no idea how it should taste. But the last two batches I've made have tasted (and smell) VERY heavily of alcohol. Not only do I not like alcohol, but I'm LDS, and therefore not allowed to drink it. Now, I knew it was a possiblity with juice and kefir grains, but milk?? And what am I doing wrong that it would come out like that? My grains are growing fine, so I feel like I can't be doing anything but so wrong. But I definitely don't like the alcohol taste/smell. (I just made smoothies with 2tbls of concentrated grape juice and some frozen berries to a cup of kefir and it turned out fine, but just the thought that I might be drinking alcohol bothers me). Anyway, any advice?
Generally speaking, the amount of alcohol in kefir is dependent on brewing time, room temp, etc.--basically the amount of fermentation that is occurring. How long are you letting it culture? You do want it to culture longer than 12 hours but it can be stopped anytime after that once the consistency is to your liking. I'd recommend starting the kefir at night before you go to bed so you can start checking it right after 12 hours and stop it at the appropriate time.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 03-31-2009, 01:21 PM

ok, now that i have an excess bit of kefir grains, i'd like to try converting them to make water kefir. for this i need to rinse them (rinse and soak?) in non chlorinated water? For how long? Once this is done, then I mix up a recipe and let it sit 24 hours and see how it fares?

signature currently in transition
Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 PM

Please forgive me if this has already been addressed, but once grains have been used for cow milk kefir, if they are then used in goat milk will they retain significant properties of the cow milk (proteins, sugars, etc.) ??

I'd like to make goat kefir for my LO who does not do cow dairy. He does not have an allergy, but perhaps an intolerance of some kind, so we are going to re-introduce goat dairy soon.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:17 PM

I am happy to report that I am kefiring away! I just love it, this process is so addicting. My grains are doing well, and my family loves the kefir.

And yes, Pat, I have been whispering sweet nothings to them, and they are growing like crazy, even in the fridge. My milk seems to separate sooner, before the kefir is too tart, maybe because it's minimally processed? It's great milk (Natural by Nature brand, grass fed) which may be why the grains are so happy, or it might just be my whisperings...

I am interested in converting some to water kefir, like Teenytoona. DH doesn't do dairy. I think it's the casein, not the lactose, although I have been giving him some, testing it out so to speak.

So, I made some sugar water (1/4c. evaporated cane juice crystals, 1 filtered quart water, 1t. molasses, because I understand they like it, and some slices of fresh ginger, and let it thoroughly cool -it tastes great as it is!) and then rinsed a pea sized grain clump and put it in about a 1/4cup of the liquid, to give it a chance to grow.

As it's converting, the first few batches, it won't taste as good, is that right?

Wife to Bear - Mom to DS 7, gifted with SPD and DD 2, a Joybunny!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:05 PM

Well, as you can see from my previous post, I was happily kefiring away. Then all of the sudden, my grains stopped working. Did they die?

I pulled off a little piece to try and convert it to water kefir, but kept my main grains in milk. But they the milk is just sitting there, with the grains in it, not doing anything for days....it forms a little coating of curds on it, but that's all. Usually I have kefir here in 12hours, but I've had these in 2 changes of milk over 5 days or so...nothing. I know it sounds crazy, but I am soooooo sad.. (could be a little transference, had another loss this week) but still...

I rinsed the piece that I put in the sugar water with filtered water, (10stage, I wouldn't think there was chorine in it) and I can't remember if I rinsed the main one too. Either way, could I have killed it?

The ones in sugar water have been there a few days, they might be kefiring the water ve-e-eery slowly...hard to tell, but it seems to smell and taste different.

Any suggestions Mamas?

Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 PM

I have a few questions concerning water kefir...

I've been doing this for about two months and my kefir seem to be pretty happy. Propagating like crazy (can't keep up with the grains)

My first three batches were "sparkly" with lots of fizz now no more sparkle and more "yeast/flat" taste.

There seems to be a very fine white sediment in the "Kefir Water" after about a day in my second fermentation. Anyone know what this is or what causes it or if this is ok?

I'm not getting any bubbles.

Here's what I have been using:

1. 2qt glass jar
2. 3 tablespoons of Kefir grain
3. 1/4 peeled lemon
4. 1/4tsp Baking Soda
5. 1/8tsp UnSulphered Molasses (any more and the kefir is overwhelmed)
6. Spring Water
7. 1/2c Baker's Sugar (very fine grain cane sugar)
8. Brew for 48hours

*I add the juice of choice in the second fermentation process

I'm thinking that perhaps I'm using too much sugar and this is what is causing the yeast taste. I originally used regular sugar and did fine but the Baker's Sugar may be too "rich" and bio-available for the yeast in the Kefir.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

BTW: I have a lot of kefir grains and have been trying to use them as quickly as I can. But I do have a 1/2 quart that's been happily sitting in the back of
my refrigerator for the last two months. I add sugar every week and it is still propagating. (Can't seem to stop them from growing!) So, I know that the Kefir can still be viable after two months in the refrigerator if you feed it and stir.

P.S. Does any one have milk kefir from Dom that they would like to sell? I'd like to get some of his stock but his prices for s/h is outrageous. Please PM me if you have grains from Dom's stock. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 PM

I'm going on vacation leaving Monday, and I have some happy milk grains that I don't want to lose...I have dried some, but the rest (a big clump) I would like to leave in the fridge in some milk, will it make it 2 weeks? More milk the better? Should I break it up and put it in 2 quart jars so it will have more milk...

Old 05-30-2009, 04:33 PM

I'd add more milk and store immediately in the refrigerator. It will slow the fermentation and will be fine.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:11 AM

Subbing.

I need to come back later and read all the posts and then ask questions maybe.

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
2 weeks holiday/ kefiring in the fridge anyway question ....

question one
if the grains still seem to turn the milk sour whilst in the fridge, does it mean that the grains had grown too much already for the quantity of milk in my storage jar ?
I received about a teaspoon's worth by the post and each clump grew a little bit
I've already cut and blended the biggest piece for drinking in a smoothie a while ago. How to I know when to reduce the amount of grains ? I usually prepare 3 cups' worth of milk every other evening (none of my family has yet wished to try it !) so how much grains is the minimum I need for that much milk ?

question two
about the 2 weeks holiday = in about how many cups of milk do I need to store about a teaspoons' worth of milk kefir grains for a two weeks long absence ?

THANKS
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 PM

sing to the tune of "You're the one that I Want" from Grease:

"I got grains, they're multiplyin'
and I'm losin' control
'cause the power, they're supplyin'
it's electrifyin'!!!"

OK, just had to share that!

My grains did OK over my vacation, I put a teaspoon in about a quart of milk.
But the milk/kefir itself spoiled, YUCK! anyone else ever have this happen?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfork View Post
sing to the tune of "You're the one that I Want" from Grease:

"I got grains, they're multiplyin'
and I'm losin' control
'cause the power, they're supplyin'
it's electrifyin'!!!"

OK, just had to share that!

My grains did OK over my vacation, I put a teaspoon in about a quart of milk.
But the milk/kefir itself spoiled, YUCK! anyone else ever have this happen?
OK, that was really cute! I've never had a whole quart spoil, but when I put my grains in a small amount (pint or less) and store in the fridge, the milk will sometimes spoil. My grains still make great, though.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 06-27-2009, 07:17 PM

I've been making water kefir for a few month. Recently, the taste changed. It became a little . . . I don't know . . . bitter? Hard to describe.

Anyhow--any ideas how to fix that? I normally brew 1 quart at a time with 1/4 organic evaporated can juice crystals and 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses.

Also, we're going to be on vacation and busy with summer and I think I might just like like to take a break from brewing it for a while? I think I've read you can just put them in sugar water in the fridge, but I'm wondering how long it's safe to leave them in the same sugar water. If I rotate the sugar water periodically, how long can the live in the fridge without dying?
Old 06-28-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peek-a-boo View Post
I've been making water kefir for a few month. Recently, the taste changed. It became a little . . . I don't know . . . bitter? Hard to describe.

Anyhow--any ideas how to fix that? I normally brew 1 quart at a time with 1/4 organic evaporated can juice crystals and 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses.

Also, we're going to be on vacation and busy with summer and I think I might just like like to take a break from brewing it for a while? I think I've read you can just put them in sugar water in the fridge, but I'm wondering how long it's safe to leave them in the same sugar water. If I rotate the sugar water periodically, how long can the live in the fridge without dying?
The change in taste could be a number of things but likely it's some form of contamination. I would rinse the grains very well in filtered water and then put them in new sugar water.

You can store them in the fresh sugar water in the fridge. The cold greatly slows down the fermentation process. I would switch out the sugar water every 2 weeks or so.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:05 AM

Thank you so much dogmom!
Old 07-03-2009, 03:27 PM

Nm
Old 08-05-2009, 03:20 PM

We recently bought some kefir, milk and water. Dh and I are sticking to the water kefir and the milk is pretty much for the kids (mostly ds 3yo, ds 9 months has had tastes).

The kids seem fine, but dh and I are sick, sick, sick! It's like, all of the symptoms that we're trying to fix with dh are just BOOM coming out. And I've not been feeling well either since starting, stomach aches, headaches, snappy, my throat hurts. Dh's list goes on longer.

I have heard that this is normal, that while the kefir is re-colonizing our guts, things may get worse before they get better. Basically I've read that there's a war going on inside of us right now, and if we keep drinking the kefir, the good guys are sure to win.

My question is: how long will this take?!?! I don't know how much longer we can take feeling like this! It's been maybe a week and a half since we started taking it, and not that long since the symptoms started showing up. Maybe a few days, I'm not sure.

Any help would be really appreciated - before dh and I wrestle each other or something!!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:48 PM

How much are you taking? Are you doing other antifungals, like coconut oil, Oil of Oregano? Have mercury fillings?

I would just do 1 tablespoon a day for a week. And add a tablespoon a day each week, IF none of the above. Otherwise, I'd increase by a tablespoon each MONTH. So, probably, slow down.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:28 PM

Gotcha. We've been taking a lot, I've been using pretty big glass jars (mason jars? I don't know) to make them. Fermenting 48 hours.

But how do I make such a small amount, that we're only taking such a small amount every day? I feel like I'd be dumping a lot out, the way I make it. Even using small jars, I'd be throwing out a lot, no?

Is it hurting to keep going the way I'm going? Dh will for sure slow down, but if I don't, are there.. bad things that could happen??

Thanks Pat!!!!!

For your questions, Dh was taking coconut oil for a while a few weeks ago, but stopped for some reason. I cook with it occasionally. He's got a big merc. filling, I don't have any.

Thanks again!!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:26 PM

OK, I should have looked at this before posting my basic kefir questions. Off to read this big long post!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 AM

If you have symptoms from a new food/supplement/practice, I believe in listening to your body.

I don't believe anything 'bad' could happen. Are you doing kombucha also?

I don't strain my kefir right away. I store it in the refrigerator and strain off what I need each day, rather than make a new batch every 48 hours. Also, you can eat the water kefir grains, or make smoothies with the kefir, or give some grains away, or freeze some grains. I use the kefir to soak grains, rice, beans also.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:16 AM

You can eat them?? I'd ask if you're kidding but I have a feeling you're not!!

Thanks again, Pat! What you said about listening to the body makes a lot of sense. No need to make myself feel awful.

So it's ok to just keep the kefir grains in the fridge, with the batch I'm making? How long can they stay in the fridge for?

Theoretically I'm taking kombucha, but I haven't in weeks, it started to grow mold, so we threw a batch away, and I think it's getting moldy again. I miss my kombucha, I really love the stuff. Do you know anything I can do about it?

I'll throw this question in here too.. It's ok to freeze milk kefir, right? Does anything survive? (Not the grains, but the actual kefir)

Thanks a MILLION, Pat! You rock!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 AM

Just subbing! Looking forward to starting my own kefir soon:

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

Old 08-06-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinestarr View Post

So it's ok to just keep the kefir grains in the fridge, with the batch I'm making? How long can they stay in the fridge for?

Theoretically I'm taking kombucha, but I haven't in weeks, it started to grow mold, so we threw a batch away, and I think it's getting moldy again. I miss my kombucha, I really love the stuff. Do you know anything I can do about it?

I'll throw this question in here too.. It's ok to freeze milk kefir, right? Does anything survive? (Not the grains, but the actual kefir)
Yes, we eat the water kefir grains, occasionally. They are tasty with cinnamon, I hear. But, I just toss them in a smoothie, generally.

Kombucha has Saccharomyces boulardii a beneficial yeast which displaces and replaces candida. When candida dies off, it releases stored mercury into blood circulation. So, dh may need to go easy on the kombucha.

I don't know about freezing kefir. For popsicles, I believe it is fine and may retain probiotic benefits. Not certain.

Pat

I have a blog.

User Tag List