Got Kefir? - Page 20 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#571 of 582 Old 02-09-2011, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hooray!!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#572 of 582 Old 08-15-2011, 01:36 PM

bump

#573 of 582 Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 PM

Yay, this thread! lol.

Ok question. My kefir grains have turned into a powdery mush lol. What the heck? They still function, but sheesh. Will they grow back into florettes or should I  get some grains back from friends I gave portions to?

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#574 of 582 Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM

Thank you for this thread!

I may be stating the obvious here... (at least I thought so after the fact banghead.gif)... but do NOT use keifer in an airtight blender like "magic bullet" to make smoothies--or anything else!!!

To make matters worse, I was mixing up some pancake batter, so I had a little baking powder and baking soda in the mix too... along with some berries that made the mix a shade of purple.  After I was through mixing, it was stuck.  I put my full force into actually getting the bottom to unscrew and when it did...

BOOM!

There was purple pancake mix EVERYWHERE! On the ceiling, the cupboards, and since I had it under my chin, tight to my chest, leaning against the counter at the time, "everywhere" included from under my chin, all over the front of my chest, down to where my waist met the counter.

To give you a better idea of the strength of the blast... my knuckles were BLEEDING... not because I'd cut them on the blender in opening it, but right though the pores of the skin, I think what they call a compression blast, like from a bomb.

#575 of 582 Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 PM

Any water kefiring mamas still around?  I just got some last weekend and made my first batch.  I left the grains in the water a little over 48 hours.

Took grains out-then I added sliced orange and some ginger root.  Let sit for another 24 hours.  It turned out very good.  It still tasted sweet in my opinion. 

Should I have let it ferment longer?   Maybe I'm just not used to sweet drinks b/c I have everything unsweetened.  I used maple syrup for the sugar w the grains.

#576 of 582 Old 08-24-2011, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm here smile.gif I don't like it very sweet either but I don't usually get it right. Let it go too long and it tastes like vinegar... sigh. I need to make a new batch soon!
#577 of 582 Old 11-24-2011, 04:06 PM

Oh wow! I need to read this whole thread. Thank you, OP!!!!!

#578 of 582 Old 12-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Has anyone ever made a kefir smoothie and dehydrated it?  I know you can make fruit smoothies with juice and dehydrate those to make like a healthy fruit leather, but what if you added kefir?  I am thinking a new yummy probiotic snack on the go?  I did a google search and didn't come up with anything! Any thoughts?  Experience?  Links?

#579 of 582 Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 PM

Interesting idea, Sarahec! Let us know how it turns out!

Kefir curd question: good kefir in the fridge separated into a big cylindrical curd pulled away from te sides of te jar floating in whey--what the heck? Can I pull it out of the whey and cure/dry a bit to make cheese or should I just mash it with herbs for ranch/spread thing? It is about two weeks old now but smells kefir-y, not spoiled, what to do?

Anyone ever experience this?

Happy and in love with my family!
#580 of 582 Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post

Interesting idea, Sarahec! Let us know how it turns out!
Kefir curd question: good kefir in the fridge separated into a big cylindrical curd pulled away from te sides of te jar floating in whey--what the heck? Can I pull it out of the whey and cure/dry a bit to make cheese or should I just mash it with herbs for ranch/spread thing? It is about two weeks old now but smells kefir-y, not spoiled, what to do?
Anyone ever experience this?

That happens to mine every once in a while and I just take a wooden spoon and blend it up before drinking.   Now I'm re-thinking if that is the right thing to do...

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#581 of 582 Old 12-20-2011, 03:45 PM

I love kefir, but I need some new grains. Such a yummy nutritious food!

Crunchy mom of three great kids and one on the way!

DD May 2007 **** DS February 2010 **** DD August 2012**** ?? Oct/Nov 2014

#582 of 582 Old 07-22-2012, 04:00 PM

The chocolate cake recipe seems to be missing the part of the instructions where you add the boiling water or maybe I just missed it.  I have the original recipe, so I know when to add it, but I thought you might want to add this for others.  Thanks!  I never thought of using kefir with that recipe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page