Got Kefir? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 582 Old 10-21-2004, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yitlan, thanks for the link. It's interesting to find out about all the different cultured milk products available. I may even order some fil mjolk--if I can justify the $11 shipping charge!

Parthenia, do you mind sharing your link with me, too?

Xenabyte, I think that while the traditional filmjolk is creamy, there are modern versions made from lowfat milk, maybe even nonfat. Hmm, maybe I *will order that culture so I can experiment...
#62 of 582 Old 10-21-2004, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just wanted to say I made cornbread muffins for dinner tonight, using kefir slightly thinned with water, and they were the lightest cornbread muffins I've ever tasted! I could literally see the batter puffing up in the muffin tin, before I put it in the oven (I use aluminum-free baking powder, so it's single-acting, but I've never seen it rise this quickly).

More questions: right now I'm making kefir from Yogourmet starter. I have to scald the milk, then cool it, before adding the culture. Why am I doing this? Isn't the milk already pasteurized? And will I have to scald all my milk when I use kefir grains? I quit making my own yogurt because of all the freakin' scalding.
#63 of 582 Old 10-21-2004, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenabyte
2 cups soy protein isolate or whey protein isolate (hard to find, but worth looking for if you are a low carber and not allergic to wheat)
Whey protein is from dairy
#64 of 582 Old 10-21-2004, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

DOH, was typing that recipe fast..I meant to say WHEAT protein Isolate. Cause WHEY is easy to find haha

I will make the correction.

girl,

You do NOT have to do ANY scalding with live Kefir Grains. You can just pour the milk from your container in the fridge and add the grains, and let it sit on your kitchen counter overnight....the live grains are so healthy and full of life, they quickly take over and colonize the milk and start converting it!

The scalding is to kill off ANY bacteria (even with pasturization, some might have gotten back in there) and it gives the dry starter the chance to be the only thing colonizing the milk. Scalding also changes the milk proteins a bit, and helps it 'firm up' (or so they say).
#65 of 582 Old 10-21-2004, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogit
Yitlan, thanks for the link. It's interesting to find out about all the different cultured milk products available. I may even order some fil mjolk--if I can justify the $11 shipping charge!

Parthenia, do you mind sharing your link with me, too?

Xenabyte, I think that while the traditional filmjolk is creamy, there are modern versions made from lowfat milk, maybe even nonfat. Hmm, maybe I *will order that culture so I can experiment...

Here is a link for fil mjolk and I will look for the other (they might be the same, I was looking fast, cooking, and chasing down a toddler....

http://www.gemcultures.com/dairy_cultures.htm
#66 of 582 Old 10-22-2004, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Kefir "Ranch" Dressing:

Ok, I made this last night for salads. It was easy and tasted just like fancy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing!

~2 cups Kefir
1 packet Italian Seasonings powdered dressing mix (the kind that comes with a bottle to make dressing in)
~1-2 tsp Red wine Vinegar
~ 1/4 cup Grapeseed oil (or favorite salad oil)

I put Kefir and dry seasonings packet and the vinegar in blender. I ran it for a bit to mix all well. Then I added in the oil in a stream while running the blender on low. It thickened up and as soon as it 'emulsified' I stopped the blender. It was amazing on our salads!

I am gussing on the oil amount, as I didn't measure...so as soon as it seems to thicken up enough, you can stop pouring in the oil.

Even the Dh ate the 'wierd Kefir stuff' on his salad.. He gave me such a hard time about it, until he tasted it!
#67 of 582 Old 10-25-2004, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a rich, moist cake and frosting that is sooo yummy. It was my mom's 'buttermilk' cake recipe. However I use Kefir and it turned out great! It has been converted to use the best possible ingredients (not vegan) but organic whenever possible.

Chocolate Kefir Cake

1/2 cup premium cocoa powder (organic)
1/2 cup boiling water
2/3 cup virgin coconut or expeller pressed oil
1 3/4 cup Rapadura sugar
2 organic, free range eggs
2 1/4 cup organic, unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/3 cup Kefir, sour milk, yogurt or buttermilk
(To sour milk, just add 1 tbs and 1 tsp of white vinegar to your regular milk)

One batch of Chocolate Cream Frosting (recipe follows)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 deg F. Grease the bottom and sides of two 9 inch round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper cut to fit, then grease it too. (I used Expeller Pressed Coconut oil). Or just grease a 9x13 if you want a sheet pan cake and do not wish to remove and make a 'stacked' cake.

In small bowl, stir cocoa powder and water until smooth, set aside.

In a seperate, small glass container mix up your 'Kefir milk', sour milk or buttermilk and set aside.

In medium bowl, mix flour, salt, soda and set aside.

In large bowl, cream together sugar, virgin or expeller pressed coconut oil and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until incorporated. Start adding in the flour and the milk mixture, alternatingly and beat well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Bake 35 to 40 minutes. A toothpick inserted near the center should come out clean.

Cool 10 minutes and then invert layer cake pans onto cake racks, and remove cakes. Gently peel off the parchement paper and allow to cool completely. (If using a 9x13, just let cool in pan until you are ready to frost.)

One Bowl Chocolate Creamy Frosting

6 Tbs Virgin or Expeller Coconut Oil
2 2/3 cups organic (Hain) or (Rapadura) powdered sugar
1/2 cup premium organic chocolate cocoa powder
1/3 cup organic milk
1-2 tsp organic vanilla extract

In small bowl, beat oil (could use butter too). Add in powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk. Beat to spreading consistancy. Add in vanilla extract. Beat again. This makes about 2 cups frosting. It's basically a 'buttercream' frosting sans the butter....
#68 of 582 Old 10-28-2004, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm putting this here, cause I found the 'perfect' strainer for my Kefir...it's a kids 'bath toy' 'fishing net'. Here is a link to one that is similar (it's a different color) than the one I found.

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro.asp?...eid=0038576246

I found mine at toys r us in infant's bath stuff, for about 6 bucks. The net is perfect for catching the grains, but letting the Kefir strain through! It's made of a nylon mesh basket and a plastic handle...so only the nylon mesh touches the grains!

I just washed mine in a biokleen dish soap, rinsed it really really well, and keep it up in a cubby away from the 3 yr old... He got the fishies to play with for bath time, though!

nak sorry for any typos
#69 of 582 Old 10-28-2004, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I spoke to the Dom this morning...he told me that the dedicated 'Sugary Kefir Grains' that are used for making the 'Kefir D'Aqua' and other juice/water ferments are hard to find.

His stopped propogating, however, they CAN and WILL continue to ferment and make 'Kefir Water' fermented beverages...you will just not have them making babies to increase your stock for 'give aways'.

Also, he says if you are using, previously 'Milk Kefir Grains', they will stop reproducing in a 'Kefir d' Aqua' (sugar water or juice) ferment, but will convert enought to be happy in that medium, and will be able to be used on a continual basis!!!

The Dom told me:

"For your reference, in the same note as the above, although milk kefir grains cease propagating in a sugar solution [to prepare a water kefir of sorts], they too are capable of preparing a water kefir on an ongoing basis. Infact, I have the same batch of once milk kefir grains, produce water kefir since 1999."

So while you will not have the 'problem' of too many grains, you can keep using them over and over for making 'Kefir d'Aqua' and other sugar water/juice type ferments! Whoo HOOO!

I would and he would suggest putting them in a 'bag' made of a pourous material and keeping them in the brew jar you are using for your 'Kefir D'Aqua'...then they are easily fished out, makes straining so much easier, and you won't have to remove them and worry about leaving little bits in the jar as they will not keep growing! Nice huh!

This is really good news!!
#70 of 582 Old 10-28-2004, 06:46 PM

Thanks Xenabyte for checking into this.

A friend of mine tried my batch of kefir d'acqua and loved it. Does anyone have any grains to spare? I only have 2 tbsp of converted milk grains myself.
#71 of 582 Old 10-28-2004, 07:37 PM

Gale Force was saying she has LOTS and LOTS.

I am kefir'ing away here ... tho the smell is offputting, to be frank ... I used 4 oz of half-brewed kefir in my smoothie and the fruit, flax oil, tofu & coconut oil covered up the taste plenty. I'm looking forward to having enough kefir to use in all my baked goods.

Heather, do you need to "change over" grains to kefir coconut water, as you do when making kefir-water or juice? What about coconut milk?
#72 of 582 Old 10-28-2004, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlndocs
Heather, do you need to "change over" grains to kefir coconut water, as you do when making kefir-water or juice? What about coconut milk?
I used my 'Kefir Milk Grains' in canned coconut milk, and they seemed fine and I always alternate with a full soak in whole organic milk in between batches, to be sure they have 'access' to whatever they need from the milk.

I have not used them in a young green coconut 'water' mixture yet...but what I've read about it, suggests it's closer to a 'Kefir d'Aqua' brew, so you will probably want to use Sugar Kefir grains (yea, if we can find them) or just convert and use some milk grains.

I sent out 5 boxes of Grains Monday, so ALL I have on me at the moment, is about 1 TBS of grains. I will need to let them grow some more, so I can dedicate about half of them to a 'Water Kefir' brew set for making Kefir D'Aqua, the Fermented juices, and trying in young coconut water.

It's good to know that if someone didnt' want to use them in milk, they can just put them in a jar of juice, or make the Kefir D'Aqua and not have to worry about them growing like crazy or having to replenish them or soak in milk~~~ This is so awesome!

I will 'edit' some Water Kefir recipes for here, for quick and easy access...those of you that have been making it, put your recipe/method here too! I'm so excited about this (Can you tell)....
#73 of 582 Old 10-28-2004, 10:39 PM

So, if I make the vanilla kefir, can I use those grains to make plain kefir later? Or does the sugar and vanilla effect the grains?

I'm going to try a batch of vanilla, but without heating it. Going to make it totally raw. I will probably heat a small portion of the milk just to help dissolve the sugar, but otherwise leave raw. I'll let you know how it goes!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#74 of 582 Old 10-29-2004, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

I made vanilla Kefir with live Kefir grains and then used the same grains to make regular kefit and all was well. So go for it. The sugar might increase the yeast content, but it all balances out eventually. The texture of the Kefir was more 'pudding' like using whole cow milk and the vanilla and sugar.

If you have access to raw milk, that would be a cool experiment! I just use organic, whole milk that has been pasturized.... I wish I could get some raw milk....

The only raw milk around here is BM and I still have yet to try that...but hey, they Dc would drink it.....
#75 of 582 Old 10-29-2004, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

I was straining my brew today...and poured one jar of Kefir into my yogurt cheese maker, and took the initial whey that dripped down and was pretty much like thin Kefir and drank it in a glass with a bit of organic apple juice. It was really smooth and yummy. Then I mixed in a bit more Kefir and I think this was one of my most favorite ways to drink it!

Anybody else drink Kefir and apple juice?
#76 of 582 Old 10-29-2004, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaMAMAma
Does anyone have any grains to spare? I only have 2 tbsp of converted milk grains myself.
Yep, my cup still runneth over.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#77 of 582 Old 10-29-2004, 10:01 PM

Thanks everyone for all of this info! I am just now starting to look into the benefits of kefir and probiotics and am so happy to have found this thread!!
#78 of 582 Old 10-29-2004, 11:52 PM

Question for our Queens of kefir . . . well um : I forgot about my kefir for about two days in my pantry (out of site - out of mind. . . ) I don't think they are dead though because they are still soft but now they float. Is that okay?
#79 of 582 Old 10-29-2004, 11:57 PM

Heather, I've had that very fishing net in my kids bathroom, but it's one of the favorites so I don't think I could slip it out. When I actually don't slack and strain my grains, I use a plastic mesh that my shallots came in (well I bought them for their net actually!) and I screw on the metal mason jar ring over it. It works great so I use it every time. I bet a delicates cloth netting sack might work too. I could cut out a small section and make a sack. I do like the idea of keeping all your grains in a sack and just taking out the sack every time you need to make more kefir.
#80 of 582 Old 10-30-2004, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cornersmamma
Question for our Queens of kefir . . . well um : I forgot about my kefir for about two days in my pantry (out of site - out of mind. . . ) I don't think they are dead though because they are still soft but now they float. Is that okay?
Yep, they are fine. Just give them fresh milk Some folks brew for 48 hours...so you are definitely ok.

Yea, I had to hide the fishing net a few times when Ds saw it in the kitchen...haha...
#81 of 582 Old 10-30-2004, 01:15 AM

can I use soy milk to make my kefir with? my dd is allergic to dairy and wanted to try if it was ok
#82 of 582 Old 10-30-2004, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

The 'Dom' on his website says you can use soy milk, but it's not the stuff they prefer. Here is a link to the page where he has some info on it:

http://ftp.newave.net.au/~dna/vegmilk.html

Just click the 'soy milk kefir' link

I hate soy, and would use coconut milk over any other non dairy milk, to culture the Kefir, if I had to make a choice. But if you like soy and are not worried about it, then use the soy! Cause soy kefir is better than no kefir at all.... :LOL
#83 of 582 Old 10-30-2004, 11:51 PM

Hi there,
I've been *avidly* reading this thread and the other Kefir one, and now I've finally found a good og milk source (non-homogenized too!) so I really want to start making kefir!

Is there any chance someone can get some up here to Canada for me?

(my e-mail addy is durafemina at gmail dot com)

thanks!
durafemina

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy
#84 of 582 Old 10-31-2004, 12:21 AM

durafemina -- Heather just did a Canadian mailing. I'd like to hear a report on it before I am so bold.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#85 of 582 Old 10-31-2004, 04:12 AM

nak

hey i have a whole wheat-kefir pound cake in the oven at the moment! smells marvelous. will update after it gets tasted
#86 of 582 Old 10-31-2004, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

CJR should be emailing me anyday now with hopefully good news, that she got her box, up in Canada! She's been without a computer for last few days, hope to hear from her soon!

#87 of 582 Old 10-31-2004, 10:43 PM

The verdict is in on the pound cake ... it's

I used a sour cream pound cake recipe, but subbed a kefir/yogurt blend for the sour cream. I also used whole wheat pastry flour, and sifted it first ... to my surprise, there *was* some bran caught in the sieve (I just added it back in the flour bin).

Will edit to add entire recipe later.
#88 of 582 Old 11-01-2004, 02:13 AM

I just read some of this thread....it caught my eye because I started giving kefir (how do you pronounce that btw??) to my dog recently so I have some in my fridge. I never tried it just smelled it...we are strict veggie w/ some raw goat cheese a few times a month. I made a smoothie w/ a bannana, agave nector, flax seeds and vanilla and it was very good, I also feel good after drinking that I dont know how you make it yourself but I am very interested!

dust.gif
#89 of 582 Old 11-01-2004, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlndocs
The verdict is in on the pound cake ... it's

I used a sour cream pound cake recipe, but subbed a kefir/yogurt blend for the sour cream. I also used whole wheat pastry flour, and sifted it first ... to my surprise, there *was* some bran caught in the sieve (I just added it back in the flour bin).

Will edit to add entire recipe later.
waits for recipe....
#90 of 582 Old 11-01-2004, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainys~mama
I just read some of this thread....it caught my eye because I started giving kefir (how do you pronounce that btw??) to my dog recently so I have some in my fridge. I never tried it just smelled it...we are strict veggie w/ some raw goat cheese a few times a month. I made a smoothie w/ a bannana, agave nector, flax seeds and vanilla and it was very good, I also feel good after drinking that I dont know how you make it yourself but I am very interested!
From page one:

"How is Kefir Made?

Kefir can be made from any type of milk, cow, goat or sheep, coconut, rice or soy. Although it is slightly mucous forming, the mucous has a "clean" quality to it that creates ideal conditions in the digestive tract for the colonization of friendly bacteria.

Kefir is made from gelatinous white or yellow particles called "grains." This makes kefir unique, as no other milk culture forms grains. These grains contain the bacteria/yeast mixture clumped together with casein (milk proteins) and complex sugars. They look like pieces of coral or small clumps of cauliflower and range from the size of a grain of wheat to that of a hazelnut. The grains ferment the milk, incorporating their friendly organisms to create the cultured product. The grains are then removed with a strainer before consumption of the kefir and added to a new batch of milk."

I always send out a very specific (how to brew) info sheet with grain 'orders', as does Gale...however I"m low on grains atm, but Gale Force has extras right now! You can PM her and she (and I) send them out priority mail, for shipping costs.

All you need to brew Kefir (key Fur) or (Keh Fear) is some type of glass jar with a lid, the Kefir grains, and some kind of milk. A strainer that is non metal is a good idea, for straining off the grains for your next batch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page