Got Kefir? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 582 Old 12-05-2004, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did it! I did it!

I strained the cornonation grape kefir about 10 minutes ago and WOW its awesome!!!!

We all had a big glass, dd dh and I and we ALL determined that we LOVED it!!!

It had the tangy, tannin like taste of wine with the fizz of champagne. It is AMAZING. I highly recommend reserving some of your grains and making a grape juice kefir for your kitchen.

I am so happy I feel like crying....
bcblondie likes this.
#182 of 582 Old 12-05-2004, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

The party is at your house!

I'm glad to hear it worked so nicely! I really am loving my 'gingerale' fizzy drink too! I added in some orange juice today, and we'll see how it turns out tomorrow!

I like the idea of a lightly alcoholic, sparkly grape drink for new years too. Maybe I'll look for some organic white grape.

/cheers
#183 of 582 Old 12-05-2004, 09:31 PM

Do you think its dangerous for Dd to have the grape kefir? She is three, at most its got about 1% alcohol, is that correct?

Now that I have grape going, can I do a batch of, lets say blueberry juice, then orange etc, in between grape batches? I wonder if I can create a 'juice' kefir in the kitchen, not just grape? How does Apple work?

I found organic white grape juice by Santa Cruz, didn't check the ingredients mind you.

MMMmmmmmm white grape kefir on new years....mmmmm

Heather...did you post your instructions for the ginger ale in the thread?
#184 of 582 Old 12-06-2004, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Do you think its dangerous for Dd to have the grape kefir? She is three, at most its got about 1% alcohol, is that correct?

Now that I have grape going, can I do a batch of, lets say blueberry juice, then orange etc, in between grape batches? I wonder if I can create a 'juice' kefir in the kitchen, not just grape? How does Apple work?

I found organic white grape juice by Santa Cruz, didn't check the ingredients mind you.

MMMmmmmmm white grape kefir on new years....mmmmm

Heather...did you post your instructions for the ginger ale in the thread?
For the amount of time you are fermenting the grape, I think it's fine for Dc to have some. It' will have actually less than 1%, and even less than advertised 'alcohol free' drinks! They actually have some alcohol in them!

You can use any juice, and switch them around. The grains might absorb some different colors, but they will be fine.

Now let me make this point, so there is no confusion:

I am using real WATER KEFIR GRAINS, for my gingerale, NOT Milk based, Converted to Juice, Kefir Grains. You could use the converted Milk Kefir Grains, but the Dom suggests adding 1 Tbs Barley Malt to help the grains along since they are not in milk.... /shrug

I really didn't like the flavor as much with the Barley Malt, and would be tempted to leave it out, and see if it still ferments. Just don't use your ONLY batch of grains, incase they don't work without the Barley Malt. Now, on his website, he only mentions the Barley Malt in a few recipes, and NOT in the juice ferments. SO maybe the grapes give it what it needs too.

I got the Water Kefir Grains from a lady in the Nederlands and they are really hard to get. Milk Kefir Grains are practically a 'dime a dozen' to find, compared to an actual, 'Water Kefir Grain'. They are different. They are hard and compact and more translucent. They thrive in the juice or sugar sweetened, flavored waters with no need for maltose sugars. They will not work in milk. They also DO make the drink slightly more alcoholic, but not to the point where you are going to feel 'tipsy' or anything. It's just a mild amount.

So I can give you the recipe, but you might not get the same results with your converted milk grains, as with a water kefir grain.

Gingerale Kefir d' Aqua

~2 quarts filtered water
~6 pieces of dehydrated, unsulfured ginger pieces *health food store bulk bin*
1 chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced in half (the size of a peanut)
1 dry, unsulfured fig
1/2 cup sugar (makes it sweet, you could use less)

Put in a glass container with a lid, that is big enough to not go beyond 2/3 of it's capacity. Place a tight lid on, and let sit for 48 hours. I then strain it, and refrigerate it in glass bottles with stoppered lids. If you want more 'fizz' you can use this like a base, and pour in some plain, sparkling water when you go to drink it.

Hope that is helpful. I just wanted to be clear about it, JIC it didnt' work with the converted grains. I need to try it again with some converted grains and taste test it. Sorry, I haven't tried that yet. I made the basic 'Kefir D' Aqua' recipe and I think it was the Barley Malt that threw off the flavor to me.
#185 of 582 Old 12-06-2004, 09:25 PM

I wonder if the barley malt adds the 'sugar' the grains need to thrive? The juice may provide that for the little guys.

I really appreciate all your effort Xenabyte, you ROCK! If there is ever anything I can do for you, let me know!

take care
Colleen
#186 of 582 Old 12-07-2004, 02:50 PM

Ok, I got my grains last week (thanks Gale!) and I think I'm seriously doing something wrong! The kefir is not getting thicker, at all. I stays the consistency of milk, with a few lumps, I'm not convinced that the lumps are kefir grains and not curdled milk. When I got the grains, I strained them and rinsed them with some milk (organic whole) and then added about a cup from the fridge. I've been doing the same everyday since, except one day I let them go for 2 days, still didn't thicken, and yesterday I put them in a VERY small amount of milk, maybe a quarter cup, and still nothing. As far as rinsing, I've done it a few times, tried it w/o rinsing a few times. How do I know for sure I'm not just drinking bad milk and that it's actually kefir? Any thoughts?

Tracy, despite all the info STILL bewildered by the world of kefir.
#187 of 582 Old 12-07-2004, 03:59 PM

I left my grains for 10 days while we went on vacation, and they seem more active than before! I kept them in the fridge in about 3 cups of milk. They didn't seem to do much to the milk during the week, so I was a little worried. But now that they are in the usual amount of milk (1-1 1/2 cups) on the counter, they are really doing their thing. The kefir is getting really strong and separates into whey and curds quickly (within 12 hours). So now I want to try to make some of that cream cheese! My question is: once I make the cream cheese, what can I use the whey for?

Also, Heather, did I understand your earlier post about straining? Should I be breaking the grains into smaller chunks? Mine "chunks" are quite large at this point. You said something about stirring the grains up until they were watery? Thanks!
#188 of 582 Old 12-07-2004, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsmommy
Ok, I got my grains last week (thanks Gale!) and I think I'm seriously doing something wrong! The kefir is not getting thicker, at all. I stays the consistency of milk, with a few lumps, I'm not convinced that the lumps are kefir grains and not curdled milk. When I got the grains, I strained them and rinsed them with some milk (organic whole) and then added about a cup from the fridge. I've been doing the same everyday since, except one day I let them go for 2 days, still didn't thicken, and yesterday I put them in a VERY small amount of milk, maybe a quarter cup, and still nothing. As far as rinsing, I've done it a few times, tried it w/o rinsing a few times. How do I know for sure I'm not just drinking bad milk and that it's actually kefir? Any thoughts?

Tracy, despite all the info STILL bewildered by the world of kefir.
Well, there could be a few reasons. Extreme cold temps while shiping might have slowed them down alot, or possibly killed them. Or if you rinse them in tap water, that has chlorine, it can kill them too. Too hot a temp can kill them, but I doubt that's the deal.

Bad milk will smell like soured milk. I'm sure you know that smell, if you have even let milk go beyond it's exp date. The Kefir will smell anywhere from yeasty, to buttermilk like, or yogurty. Depending on the amount of milk and how long you ferment it. So that'll be a bit of a help.

If you didn't have lumps in your milk when you started your batch, then the grains are working and converting some of it. Occasionally 'swirl' the jar to make sure the grains have access to all the milk.

Did you rinse in milk or filtered water, and look at the actual grains (just so you know if you have curdy lumps, or Kefir grains covered in curds)?

The grains themselves should be a rubbery, califlower looking little mass (several of them). If you touch one with super clean hands, it will be 'squishy' and should be a fairly translucent color. The really white stuff is 'milk curds' and may or may not have a Kefir Grain at it's center. If you squish a 'curd' it totally dissolves...and isn't a Kefir Grain.

Depending on the amount of REAL Kefir Grains in the sample, and not just milk curds formed by the fermenting...I would keep using only 1 cup of milk at room temp (about 70 deg F) until it really starts 'curding' up the milk.

If you are brewing your Kefir milk in the refrigerator or a cold area, it might not thicken up noticably at all and or it will take a really long time comparatively.

And, JIC it starts 'going like gangbusters' and curding up your milk way before overnight...this is OK. Once I'm ready to use the Kefir, I just stir the CURDS to make them dissolve back into the clearish watery looking stuff (the whey) so that it's a 'drinkable' yogurt type thing again. This also makes it easier to remove your grains for the next batch, as the curds fall off the Kefir Grains.

Hope this helps. Keep us informed and we'll keep trying to trouble shoot!
#189 of 582 Old 12-07-2004, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelife
The kefir is getting really strong and separates into whey and curds quickly (within 12 hours). So now I want to try to make some of that cream cheese! My question is: once I make the cream cheese, what can I use the whey for?
Whey can be used to soak grains/nuts/seeds via the 'Nourishing Traditions philosophy of cooking', or use it in place of water in bread recipes to add additional protein. The whey is loaded with vitamins and other nutrients. You could try sweetening it and drinking it, or add a tsp to a glass of water if it's too strong for you. Supposedly drinking a tsp or two of Whey (from yogurt or Kefir) can help settle an upset or irritated tummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelife
Also, Heather, did I understand your earlier post about straining? Should I be breaking the grains into smaller chunks? Mine "chunks" are quite large at this point. You said something about stirring the grains up until they were watery? Thanks!
Yes, I often get BIG curds...so I just stir it with a wooden or plastic spoon, to help break them up and 'free' any Kefir Grains trapped inside the curd. Then I strain, and if there any little curds still, I gently stir this to help pass ALL the curd material into the Kefir. It really makes the resulting Kefir smooth and creamy. No curdy lumps in your mouth as you drink! This also is a nice way to kinda clear off the Kefir Grains without having to rinse them.

#190 of 582 Old 12-07-2004, 10:04 PM

Thanks!
#191 of 582 Old 12-10-2004, 04:08 AM

Ok, I know it's not really sour milk, I just get a little paranoid sometimes. But it still isn't getting any thicker than milk, no matter how long I let it go. But, this morning it had a film over the top of it, I'm thinking this is a good thing? And my grains are starting to grow. It still is kefir if it doesn't thicken, right? Every morning I drink it a different way, tried it plain (yuck) then with orange juice, then molasses, this morning I mashed a banana up in it. Finally I found a way I like it! Prolly stick with that for a few days before I try something new. Thanks for you help!
#192 of 582 Old 12-10-2004, 04:46 AM

For the first week and a half or so after I got my grains, my kefir was undrinkable. It wasn't getting thick, it tasted horrible. Then suddenly one day it was good! It thickened up and has a nice taste now...I'm not sure why but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Maybe the grains just needed some time to warm up and get adjusted. I also make sure to stir or even shake the jar a few times a day (whenever I remember.) I leave it for 24 hours, then shake before straining. Then I put the strained kefir in a jar in the fridge. Before drinking I shake it really well to break up any lumps and then add a bit of vanilla and sometimes some maple syrup. My kids love it.
#193 of 582 Old 12-10-2004, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Choco, GLAD to hear it's starting to work so well now for you! I think the extreme cold conditions of the bottom of an air plane for shipping really is similar to the 'freezing' grains for back up. They just needed some time to reactivate and adjust to their new home.

The Dom says, on his website, and that's the part I include on my, erm...probably overly detailed instruction sheet... that it might take a bit to 'gear back up', after being refrigerated (or in this case, being practically frozen! eeps!) from the mail.

So I'm sure Ilovelife's grains will eventually 'kick in' to!. If you feel better about it, just use a smaller amount of milk each day, and don't drink it, until you really notice the curds starting to form and a nicer smell/flavor.

My original grains were raised on fresh goat milk, so they had a slightly 'goaty' smell at first. Then after a few months on organic cow milk and a few dips in coconut milk, they had the nicest flavor!

I also added a starter packet of powdered Kefir once to the brew, to make sure they were REALLY WELL innoculated with a more commercial 'yogurty' flavor, and that seemed to really kick up the flavor in a good way.

Might be worth a try. But hey, it's all an experiment on finding the best tasting and best way to 'get your glass a day' down the hatch!

#194 of 582 Old 12-10-2004, 09:40 PM

Hi all,
Heather have you ever tried to make apple juice kefir. I am going to juice apples and then let the grains soak in the fresh juice for three days. I will report back.

I let the last batch of kefir go three days....mmmmm its good!
#195 of 582 Old 12-11-2004, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Have not tried apple, but grape sure was good!

I have let my ginger ale Kefir go three days and it IS good, a much more intense ginger flavor!

Let us know how the apple goes!

H
#196 of 582 Old 12-12-2004, 03:32 AM

Still not sure if my grains are doing what they should or not. It did start to get thicker yesterday, but tasted the worst so far. I've been blending it up with a banana, and it really covers up the taste. Here's my question of the day. Could the temperature variations in my house be making it turn out different every day? The temperature varies greatly this year, we are heating completely with a woodstove, and for instance yesterday it was raining and I never brought in wood, so lets just say it was a little chilly. Usually it's in the mid to upper 60's, yesterday it was probably upper 50's. Could this explain the inconsistency with the way the kefir turns out?
#197 of 582 Old 12-12-2004, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Has anybody tried "ripening" kefir at room temperature before drinking it? I tried that, following the instructions on Dom's site as well as I can understand them, adding some ground cinnamon to the kefir (he had suggested grinding up fresh herbs, I just used the powdered kind.) It smells delicious but tastes really sour!! (I just had a little taste so far) I think I'll add some stevia to it and dry it that way.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#198 of 582 Old 12-13-2004, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsmommy
Still not sure if my grains are doing what they should or not. It did start to get thicker yesterday, but tasted the worst so far. I've been blending it up with a banana, and it really covers up the taste. Here's my question of the day. Could the temperature variations in my house be making it turn out different every day? The temperature varies greatly this year, we are heating completely with a woodstove, and for instance yesterday it was raining and I never brought in wood, so lets just say it was a little chilly. Usually it's in the mid to upper 60's, yesterday it was probably upper 50's. Could this explain the inconsistency with the way the kefir turns out?

Wow that's cold in the house. Yes, this could DEFINITELY be an issue, as it's like keeping them in the fridge (which slows fermentation time down almost to a standstill).

If you have an 'oven' with a pilot light or electric light, try sitting your jar in there over night with the light on. This should keep them warm enough to give them a really good go, if they have 'umph' enough left in them.
#199 of 582 Old 12-13-2004, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
Has anybody tried "ripening" kefir at room temperature before drinking it? I tried that, following the instructions on Dom's site as well as I can understand them, adding some ground cinnamon to the kefir (he had suggested grinding up fresh herbs, I just used the powdered kind.) It smells delicious but tastes really sour!! (I just had a little taste so far) I think I'll add some stevia to it and dry it that way.
Yes, it's stronger tasting, but supposedly NO lactose left, which is good for those intolerant or low carbing.

I usually cook with it or mix with chocolate syrup (or maple), which of course would defeat the purpose of doing it for a low carb reason :>

I think Stevia would work, as one of the mom's says she drinks the whey with it and even her Dc liked it!
#200 of 582 Old 12-13-2004, 03:35 PM

I just had to post that I LOVE my kefir cheese! It's so easy to do. Dh & dd are both really liking it, too. Last time I added a little oregano that I had dried from our garden. Yum. It's like that Boursin cheese you can buy ($$ & probably horrible for you!).

Also, my kefir is doing great. For the cheese I've been letting it brew for 2 days so it's nice & curdy, then I strain it through a coffee filter overnight. This morning I made a kefir/orange juice/banana smoothie for dd & myself. Yum. I can't thank you guys enough for getting me into this.

Plus--dd has managed to avoid a nasty bug one of her little friends has, so if the kefir has anything to do with that, I'm hooked for life!
#201 of 582 Old 12-14-2004, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

I agree about the 'bug' prevention. Both my boys have never had a cold in their life (one is almost 3 years and other almost 1 year). Actually both of my sons have never been sick with anything. /crosses fingers....

I have introduced yogurt at 6 months for both, the older one drinks Kefir daily or some form of probiotic yogurt and my youngest has started 'stealing my glass' of kefir and drinks probably about half of it (maybe 6 oz).

My MIL thinks it's because they are not in day care, but my SIL's ARE also at home and they get every bug there is...and they play with mine upon occasion, runny noses and all. And my kids go to the stores/park/family members houses with us and touch everything and are held alot by family with colds, etc.....

So, here is to Kefir, or our 'way of life' and eating for immunity! (They are also NOT vax'd) fyi, if anyone is curious.
#202 of 582 Old 12-14-2004, 06:38 PM

That's amazing that your boys have never been sick.
I have a cold right now

My grains seem to have doubled overnight. I just ate half of them! I couldn't bear to taste them (ick!), just swallowed them down with water. This thread is so long now, I'm sure someone has mentioned eating the grains...are there any appetizing ways to eat them??
#203 of 582 Old 12-15-2004, 02:09 PM

What do they do when you eat kefir grains? Are they good for you?

I think my grains have died - how do you know if they have died or are just dormant? They haven't been multiplying and one fell into the sink while I was changing the milk and when I picked it up it felt kind of rubery and not very squishy like I remember them being. Also, I have stopped drinking the kefir because it doesn't smell right. It doesn't have the alcohol smell, just a light yeasty smell even after two days in milk. I feel more like my milk is just souring then being converted into kefir. Maybe it is because my house is too cold. I don't know. I'd apreciate some helpful info.
#204 of 582 Old 12-15-2004, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cornersmamma
What do they do when you eat kefir grains? Are they good for you?

I think my grains have died - how do you know if they have died or are just dormant? They haven't been multiplying and one fell into the sink while I was changing the milk and when I picked it up it felt kind of rubery and not very squishy like I remember them being. Also, I have stopped drinking the kefir because it doesn't smell right. It doesn't have the alcohol smell, just a light yeasty smell even after two days in milk. I feel more like my milk is just souring then being converted into kefir. Maybe it is because my house is too cold. I don't know. I'd apreciate some helpful info.

One, I can start a new thread And it will be easier to read again.

Two, I sent you a PM about this, but for others benefit, here is info again:

If you use chlorinated tap water, you CAN kill them. If you use hot water on them, they can die too.

Cold water or temps won't kill them, BUT it can slow down reproduction or make them go 'dormant'. If your house is getting cold at night (mine does) this will slow them down or even make them dormant. Maybe you should set the 'brew jar' in your oven overnight, with a light on. Set them on the bottom of the oven, kinda far from the light as possible. They should 'curd up' pretty fast. Let them go extra time *up to 48 hours*. If it's STILL not thickening up after a few days of this...then maybe they are dead. A yeasty smell isn't bad, but a sour milk smell IS.

Another thing the DOM says, is that winter in general, can make them 'go dormant'. They start growing again and reproducing when spring hits.

The dom says if you consistantly brew them in a jar with a tight fitting lid, it can 'compact' them and make them feel harder, not soft, squishy and rubbery. The build up of gasses and pressure will do this. That almost sounds like a 'water kefir grain'....mmmm....

Put the brew lid on loosly, or just cover with one layer of paper towel and a rubber band. This lets some of the gasses out and will prevent them from getting 'hard'. (Dom's suggestion).

TTYL
#205 of 582 Old 12-15-2004, 04:25 PM

Ooowiii!! I got the dried water-kefir grains from the Netherlands, and am ready to try this... my milk kefir has been boring me for quite some time now. So..... whats the most basic recipe you all have made water kefir? or juice kefir? I really dont have time this week (or $money$) to go get ginger & other things from the health food store.
#206 of 582 Old 12-15-2004, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Doula
Ooowiii!! I got the dried water-kefir grains from the Netherlands, and am ready to try this... my milk kefir has been boring me for quite some time now. So..... whats the most basic recipe you all have made water kefir? or juice kefir? I really dont have time this week (or $money$) to go get ginger & other things from the health food store.

Here is the 'basic' recipe I like best:

Gingerale Kefir d' Aqua

~2 quarts filtered water
~6 pieces of dehydrated, unsulfured ginger pieces *health food store bulk bin*
1 chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced in half (the size of a peanut)
1 dry, unsulfured fig (black mission)
1/3 cup sugar (makes it sweet, you could use less)

Put in a glass container with a lid, that is big enough to not go beyond 2/3 of it's capacity. Place a tight lid on, and let sit for 48 hours. I then strain it, and refrigerate it in glass bottles with stoppered lids. If you want more 'fizz' you can use this like a base, and pour in some plain, sparkling water when you go to drink it.

Note:
I sometimes leave out the fresh ginger piece. It's just supposed to help the fermentation along, using a fresh bit of ginger juice. So your call on that. I'd read up on some tried and true recipes, to give them the best start possible, before experimenting too much. You do need them active and healthy to get them working correctly since they were shipped dry.

The dehydrated ginger and figs keep a LONG time, and work just fine. It saves you money in the long run. If you still don't want to bother with that, you can use some fresh juice of a favorite fruit (grapes, apple, etc). You just need to make sure whatever juice you use does NOT have sulfur compounds added to preserve it. This will KILL your grains.

If using fruit juice, just add grains to it. The Dom has some recipes listed on his website. Google Dom's Kefir d' Aqua.
#207 of 582 Old 12-16-2004, 04:32 AM

yeah, I know Dom & all the sites. Im a member of the yahoogroups as well. But I just thought there was another way to do it without going to the health food store to get the things that I dont just have lying around here.... like an unsulfered fig & dehydrated ginger, kwim?
#208 of 582 Old 12-16-2004, 04:35 AM

anyone try the one that has a ginger & a lemmon???
#209 of 582 Old 12-16-2004, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomoto
That's amazing that your boys have never been sick.
I have a cold right now

My grains seem to have doubled overnight. I just ate half of them! I couldn't bear to taste them (ick!), just swallowed them down with water. This thread is so long now, I'm sure someone has mentioned eating the grains...are there any appetizing ways to eat them??
I pour my kefir into the blender, add 2 bananas, some blackstrap molasses, and stevia. If I seem to have a lot of extra grains that day, I'll put a small amount into the blender. My plan is to always include a tiny amount in my "kefir shake" rather than eating a huge glob at once.

I don't know if blending them this way affects the nutritional quality of eating the raw kefir grains, but I figure that since I'm drinking it within 5-10 minutes of blending it shouldn't be a big deal.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#210 of 582 Old 12-16-2004, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Doula
anyone try the one that has a ginger & a lemmon???

I used the recipe that came with the water grains (called for a lemon) and I didn't really like the fermented lemon flavor, but I did add in some fresh orange juice to some 'plain brewed' gingerale. That was GOOD. I think maybe if I sliced the fruit thinly, and only add it in the last day, it'd be better. I think the peel, while organic, put off TOO much lemon oil flavor and was a bit bitter.

Ok, and about your other question for 'easy to brew' stuff for the water Kefir (I'm not trying to be snarky here, just VERY serious): REALLY, if you are going to brew with the Water Kefir grains, the whole point is to use the stuff needed for it to actually brew correctly (and not make you sick).

You /will/ have to buy some of the stuff needed, unless you have fresh ginger root, or organic lemons or other organic fruit or juices available.

You HAVE to use fresh organic, or untreated, organic dried fruit, as the pesticides or drying and preservative agents on regular produce will not only kill the grains but then you would be drinking whatever pesticides or preservatives were on the stuff you are fermenting.

Maybe you should wait to start your brew until you can get to the store, cause, really (I am being very serious here, as I'd NOT want anyone to get sick from a bad brew), don't put regular (treated) fruit skins in anything you are letting sit around for a few days and then drink...esp while Preggers!

Except for you and me, I don't know of any of the other mom's (yet) using the 'water' kefir grains, just converted milk ones. Maybe if you post what stuff you DO have available for making a 'Kefir d' Aqua' it'd be easier to figure out a recipe to try not involving high end stuff.

...again, that was all said in a serious, but friendly tone. I just want to be clear. I just don't want you sick or your baby getting stuff that could harm him/her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page