Got Kefir? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 582 Old 12-26-2004, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Heather for your input. I just found out that Andrea has water grains for me now! I am quite excited to try the kefir d'aqua recipes.

As far as cow milk vs goat milk kefir, my feeling is that if you have a cow sensitivity, to try to find raw milk. The kefiring of the milk will render it more digestable anyway, raw or not, but raw is better.

On a side note...I brought kefired grape juice for our holiday brunch with my conservative parents and they looooooved it!

Right on!
#242 of 582 Old 12-26-2004, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Thanks Heather for your input. I just found out that Andrea has water grains for me now! I am quite excited to try the kefir d'aqua recipes.

As far as cow milk vs goat milk kefir, my feeling is that if you have a cow sensitivity, to try to find raw milk. The kefiring of the milk will render it more digestable anyway, raw or not, but raw is better.

On a side note...I brought kefired grape juice for our holiday brunch with my conservative parents and they looooooved it!

Right on!

Ohhh, the Grape Kefir sounds lovely! I'm so happy to hear you will be getting some water grains! I'm not sure who Andrea is or which mom you are refering to, if she's here, (or is she a friend you know locally?) but could you please ask her (if she's a personal friend) if the water grains 'reproduce' much slower than the milk based ones?? I have seen some 'growth' (or it could just be they 'rehydrated and look bigger', but they are not reallly seeming to reproduce much, and if they are, it's so slow, I'm still very reluctant to part with any and throw off my 'perfect' brew amount. The Kefir tastes great, but I really wanted 'reproducing ones' to share!

I served some Kefir 'Fig-Gingerale' after the kids had finally passed out and went to bed. Two LOVED it, said it was like a mild, sparkly ginger beer, and my brother said, erm...'it smells funny, but more power to you'...and didn't try it... But he won't touch anything even remotely 'fermented' or alcoholic... hehe..

I made milk Kefir 'Buttermilk' biscuits to go with the ham, and everyone ate them up FAST. So even the 'Kefir dubious' were like OMG these biscuits ROCK! Hmmm...so tell me about this 'Kefir' stuff you make that works like buttermilk....

Ugh, I need a nanny for the kids for the 'day after Christmas' so I can get some sleep...hehe...I hope everyone had a lovely Holiday.
#243 of 582 Old 12-26-2004, 08:08 PM

Andrea is a Mom here but lives just a few hours from me IRL.

She indicated that the grains grow very slow. It has been quite a few months since she recieved the grains and she only has enough now to share.

Ah the Holiday fatique...I know it well....
#244 of 582 Old 12-27-2004, 01:19 PM

does anyone have enoough grains to share?

i have a few things on the trading post that we could swap with if need be

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#245 of 582 Old 12-27-2004, 04:43 PM

I've got grains. I'll ship for the cost of shipping -- $3.85 out of California, about $1.80 in California. I'm shipping tomorrow. Anyone who wants them, PM me in the next few hours and you'll have them by the end of the week. Give me your address and we can work out payment options.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#246 of 582 Old 12-28-2004, 05:31 PM

Bump....
thank you for all the wonderful info!! WOW! I read only the first page so far, but I hope to make it throught the whole thing!
#247 of 582 Old 12-28-2004, 05:40 PM

I'd like to archive this thread so we can make sure all this great info is saved - what do you think - are you all ready for it to be archived or do you want to continue to post . . . .

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#248 of 582 Old 12-28-2004, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
archiving is a good idea- 13 pages is long enough!!!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#249 of 582 Old 12-28-2004, 09:58 PM

Perhaps we could start a monthly Kefir chat like the monthly vegetarian, NT, and others that occur in the forum.

I learn something new everyday with this thread. Its still really active. I think we should wait for Xenabyte's reply since she has contributed nearly all the recipes and started the thread for all the kefir novices here.

#250 of 582 Old 12-28-2004, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I think we should wait for Xenabyte's reply since she has contributed nearly all the recipes and started the thread for all the kefir novices here.
Definitely would not archive without a goahead from xenabyte.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#251 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

AYE! It's time to arc this thread, and start a new (but same) one...

I was already thinking about starting the monthly version....for Jan 1, 2005

I will probably cut and paste together a 'quickie Kefir Ref' FAQ for the first page of the new 'start'. Or mmm...would a Kefir 'FAQ' stickie be too much? Just with some basic 'what Kefir is' and how you care for it kind of thing?

But please feel free to archive this, it is too long to have to read from start!

(I've had my brother in town and have been busy with him, so sorry if you were waiting on me to answer this for a long time)
#252 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 05:05 AM
cjr

I have my kefir grains, thanks so much xenabyte. If I can get them going and reproducing I will be happy to send some to fellow Canadian mamas.

However, I need some help please. I got my kefir grains last Friday. We were on our way to my MIL and I started them at her place. I strained them and then put them in a glass with paper towel over top. I left them for 24 hours. This first batch was thin and I tossed it. I did the process again. This time the milk was very thick. I strained and tossed that batch, and then I rinsed (realizing that that was a no no after re-reading the instructions). I brewed another batch for another 24 hours and this time the milk was still very thin, little change at all, but the grains were floating. I strained and tossed that batch. This time I did not rinse the grains. I started another batch. It has been 30 hours and the milk is still very thin again. The grains are still floating. They are very fluffy and plump and seem larger then when I first got them. The milk smelled yeasty. I tossed this batch too and have started again.

Did I so something wrong? What is it supposed to look like? Is it supposed to be thick or thin? How do I know when to stop brewing them? What does it smell like? Are the grains supposed to float or sink? It's cold here, could this effect the result? It wasn't too cold when I first recieved them, but then it got to -20. Our weather has been in +8 one day and -20 the next, and back up again.
#253 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 12:27 PM

Personally I would guess that its the colder temperatures there, and that the grains are fine. How much milk are you using to how much grains? (like say 1 TBS. to 2 cups milk??) It could be you are now using too much milk to the amt of grains you have there. Maybe leave it another day, ORuse less milk....
#254 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 01:33 PM
cjr

I am using 1c of milk and I started with what looked like just over a Tbsp of grains, but they are fatter now so it looks like more than 1 Tbsp. I put it in my oven with the light on, this time. I will keep it in there for at least 24 hours and see what happens. If the milk is still really runny, what do I do? This would be the fourth batch. I don't really understand because the second batch was nice and thick. Could rinsing them have destroyed them?
#255 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 02:49 PM

I rinse my grains now and then. I wouldn't worry about it. Just do a little more trial and error. And the thin milk is drinkable unless it really stinks.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#256 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 02:51 PM
cjr

What is it supposed to smell like? Mine smells like yeast. Not too strong, just kind of like bread dough.
#257 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 03:15 PM

Yep, you can expect a yeasty smell. It will smell extra yeasty in the beginning as it adjusts to its new enviroment.

#258 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Did you use chlorinated tap water for the rinsing? That can affect them and even kill them.

However, they could be adjusting. The milk getting thick fast was a good thing...you just strain and stir it.

Let it go a few more times, to adjust, and hopefully they will make it more 'yogurty' thick. It took me a few weeks at first to get mine 'just right'.

I'm glad you got them. Let them brew for two days, and see if they will thicken up 'get curdy'. This helps give them a chance to really get going strongly with all the nutrients they need.

H
#259 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 05:18 PM
cjr

No chlorinated water, but it was well water...they live in the country. I hope they are OK. I feel like a dope. I wasn't even thinking, I just started to rinse them. They still smell yeasty and the milk is a little bubbly. I will leave them alone until tomorrow night.
#260 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 05:46 PM

Heather,
Have you tried the herbal kefir recipe that Dom offers? Once I recieve the water grains I think what I am going to do is the herbal kefir drink with red clover, but I am going to sub in other herbs instead of the ones he offered.

One of the ways he suggested to do this was to brew a herbal tea then add the grains plus the sugar. Now, do you use succanat, rapdarura or white or brown sugar?

Thanks for your advice on this one.

Colleen
#261 of 582 Old 12-29-2004, 09:02 PM

Okay everybody - I'm moving this monster to the archives. Perhaps xenabyte will start a new kefir thread and if you want to post a thread of kefir instructions, I will be happy to make it "sticky".

#262 of 582 Old 12-30-2004, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Heather,
Have you tried the herbal kefir recipe that Dom offers? Once I recieve the water grains I think what I am going to do is the herbal kefir drink with red clover, but I am going to sub in other herbs instead of the ones he offered.

One of the ways he suggested to do this was to brew a herbal tea then add the grains plus the sugar. Now, do you use succanat, rapdarura or white or brown sugar?

Thanks for your advice on this one.

Colleen
I have not tried his herbal recipe yet. I do like the idea of brewing some flavorful herbal tea, then adding sugar and grains, and letting it ferment a day or two...

I have used white sugar (like when you do Kombucha), and lately I've been using Rapadura sugar, and it's a much more intense, interesting flavor. In this case, the plain white sugar will not interact flavor wise, and it's a more 'pure clean taste'. But if you like Rapadura, it's a bit better for you.

I have yet to try brown sugar, as I don't think I'd like that taste. However adding in the juice of some freshly squeezed fruit would be nice too, and all natural. If I had a organic sugar cane stalk, I'd be tempted to slice it up and drop that in...or some such.

I hope this makes sense, I've been painting my son's bedroom all day and I can barely think or type correctly!

TTYL
#263 of 582 Old 12-30-2004, 03:15 AM

I dropped the grains into a jar on organic grape juice & it is.... ummmmm..... very interesting :LOL Its like sparkling grape juice only....... stronger. slightly alcoholic flavored. I think I'll do carot juice next with an orange in it.

Am I supposed to add anything else? Like it doenst still need sugar does it??
#264 of 582 Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 AM

Hello to all. I am new to this site...I already love it! I have been making kefir for a while and I am amazed at the info here! Please excuse if I am posting a message in the wrong place. I will get the hang of it. I have a question about coconut kefir which I plan to try. I read that coconut milk (out of a can, anyway) will kill kefir grains. So if you use them to kefir some coconut milk that will be the last time those grains can be used. Is this true? I would also like to know the best procedure for making the thickest kefir. I think I may be off on timing, frig vs. counter...I am using about 1 tbsp. grains per 1 c 2% milk. sometimes I go to the local dairy where I can get low temp pasturized whole milk. Please advise as I want to make the best for I can. Thanks so much......Dawn in sc
#265 of 582 Old 07-27-2006, 05:08 PM

I don't know what I'm doing here, but I just left my kefir grains in with raw milk for 1 week. Is there are problem with doing this? I shake the jar up vigourously (sp?) once or twice a day.

If I did this according to the recommended steps, how long can I keep the kefir out? Or should I put it in the fridge after a while?

Okay I know I sound completley dumb, but I'm a bit confused at the moment

TIA
#266 of 582 Old 07-27-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siana
I don't know what I'm doing here, but I just left my kefir grains in with raw milk for 1 week. Is there are problem with doing this? I shake the jar up vigourously (sp?) once or twice a day.

If I did this according to the recommended steps, how long can I keep the kefir out? Or should I put it in the fridge after a while?

Okay I know I sound completley dumb, but I'm a bit confused at the moment

TIA
I think your kefir is going to be very sour. I leave mine out for 24 hours, strain out the grains, and refrigerate it.

Ann
#267 of 582 Old 07-27-2006, 07:04 PM

Hi Siana,

That's going to be some really tart kefir. I'm sure it's completely separated too, am I right? I suppose you could consume it after a secondary ferment, but personally I wouldn't enjoy it. The whey, of course, is great for making Nourishing Traditions-style homemade mayonnaise or even for marinading meats and poultry. With the curds, you could also make a kefir cheese (kefir leban as Dom calls it) by using a cheese cloth to drain the whey.

From my experience, all that "vigorous" shaking isn't necessary. When I put fresh raw milk over the grains, I swirl it around a bit then leave it alone for 24 hours on the counter, at which point, I secondary ferment in the frig. (you can do your secondary fermentation on the counter, from 12 - 48 hours, depending on how tart you like it). I just find that the secondary ferment in the frig. suits my taste for a milder kefir - even if I don't get around to drinking it after a few days.

If you're not already a member of the 'kefir making' Yahoo group, I definitely recommend that you join - lots and lots of great advice there. Also, a great search engine for this and other health-related Yahoo groups is Onibasu.com.

myCelia
#268 of 582 Old 07-30-2006, 06:04 PM

I was trying to make it lactose-free, but I do think I went a little overboard. I forgot that you don't actually need the grains in there the entire time. Ah kefir is all such a mystery to me, especially since I can't remember much of the tutorial, and it's bee a few months since I made some.

I really need to get my hand on NT. I just placed a hold on the only library copy (was brought in a month ago and has constantly been taken out since!)

I honestly don't know how to use the cream cheese or the whey. Any good sources of NT-style recipes online that someone can direct me to? I'd love to finally use my steel cut oats properly too!

Thanks for the group recommendations. Off to explore
#269 of 582 Old 07-31-2006, 06:16 PM

Siana,

Hope you're having fun learning more about kefir. I should have linked the King of Kefir's website. Just about everything question you can think of is answered here on Dom's Kefir FAQ in-site. At the bottom is a link to his other kefir pages.

myCelia
#270 of 582 Old 07-31-2006, 06:52 PM

Hi gals! I just wanted to report that i was a bad kefir mama last year! I let mine sit out on the counter for literally MONTHS! w/o straining or adding or anything! I took out the grains not too long ago & added them to some fresh milk & put them in the fridge & guess what? They are O.K.! They didn't die! I've been resting them in the fridge but they have been busy as ever making kefir even in the cold! This stuff is an enigma to me! LOL! So fascinating. Dom's site is the king of kefir sites!
I've been taking a few T. of my homemade kefir & adding it to cottage cheese/sourcream to make it more friendly. I also LOVE the kefir ranch style dressing recipe! I use it in mashed potatoes or au gratin too-it gives a nice sourcream-like kick! MMMmmmm...I'm hooked! Have you ever made cornbread or pancakes w it/? Can you say FLUFFY!!!!
i'm looking for NT too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page