Kefir taste... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-16-2004, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
nym

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does Kefir taste like? Where I can find grains to make my own? (Im in canada, I have a poor HFS)

I'd like to try it, but I am very wary of trying new things,...
#2 of 6 Old 10-16-2004, 11:16 PM

Kefir tastes like milk diluted with beer. I don't really like it straight, but I love the vanilla kefir that I make and so does my daughter. I also really like making into whey and kefir cheese. Very yummy.

I'm surprised that Xenabyte hasn't posted here. She is the queen of kefir!
#3 of 6 Old 10-17-2004, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
nym

milk and beer hrmmm.......
#4 of 6 Old 10-17-2004, 01:13 AM

Teri, please share your vanilla recipe!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#5 of 6 Old 10-17-2004, 12:37 PM

Teri, I actually saw this post briefly as I was draggin myself off to bed, after sewing most of the day...so I figured you, or someone would answer it and if not, then I was planning on 'jumping in' this morn hehe..I'm so tired, but I have the hardest part of my son's Halloween costume made now! It's all good, as long as the questions get answered by somebody!

The vanilla kefir (using live grains) recipe is on page 3 of 'Got Kefir' and in some other places, but easier to bump the thread for you, as you have some other questions.. As are a ton of other ways to try Kefir, if you don't like the taste straight up (Me and Teri has some issues...but I'm actually coming around a bit now, as the natural flavor is 'growing' on me now)

As Teri says, we like the 'cream cheese' made with Kefir, to eat on toast, bagels, or use as a dip.

I try to keep that thread bumped, as it seems there is a question about Kefir every few days...feel free to add any interesting food experiments you have with Kefir!

I made a Cranberry Kefir pie that was AWESOME, and I'm not big on Cranberries. I think I'll try adding strawberry puree or something in it next time!

Kefir tastes like stronger yogurt to me, with a slight 'buttermilk' flavor. I just use it in any recipe calilng for milk, buttermilk, yogurt, etc. It makes breads especially soft and yummy! I hate beer, but there is a slight 'tinge' of something fermented about it for sure, as you find is a really good sourdough bread.

Nym,

I'd be surprised if you couldn't buy some store brand Kefir at a local HFS, it's a staple, like yogurt. There are several mammas who can ship grains to you, to make your own. I posted a link that allows people to put in where they live, and find people close to them that ship grains. GaleForce and I ship alot. There are other mammas here that have grains that will be growing soon enough, or might be ready. If you can't find someone local in Canada, then let us know.
#6 of 6 Old 10-17-2004, 08:37 PM

nym,
pm me if you would like some grains.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page