Some more Kefir questions.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2004, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OK, am I the only one who thinks the other kefir thread was just getting a little TOO long?? I'd like to keep the "kefir basics" easy to find and not let them get lost in the recipes.

Anyway, here's my question:

I've been using my kefir grains in goat milk- I'm doing this primarily for the health benefits- shipping on the kefir grains once is way cheaper than constantly buying probiotics!!! I've discovered that I like it less cultured, with more of a buttermilk taste. I have too many kefir grains for that already!!!Ideally I'd just like to do a cup a day to have with breakfast (it's yummy in the blender with a banana and some orange juice!!!)

How do I freeze the extra grains??

Is there any way to "slow down" the culturing process so I'm not overwhelmed with the amount of kefir? Should I rinse the grains with (chlorinated) tap water? Put it in the fridge instead of the counter? Just move it away from the crock pot but leave it at room temperature?

TIA

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ruth,

Definitely try a cooler spot for your kefir. It will slow down considerable. The fridge might be too slow, but you could play with that.

I am not sure how to freeze the grains. I eat my extras. :

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

User Tag List