Help with sourdough starter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-09-2004, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sourdough starter seemed very slow today! The dough still rose, but it took a lot longer. It's been a few weeks since I've used it, since we were away. And I remember now that it was a little slow the last time I used it, too. I had left it at room temp for a day or so after that time so I thought it would be okay now. Other than leaving it out at room temp (which is not too warm right now), how can I help it out? Can I sprinkle a little more yeast into it? Or is it a lost cause? I've had this starter since this summer.

Also--can I use my kefir whey to feed my starter, in place of the water? My first batch of kefir cheese is drip-drying right now. Yum!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-10-2004, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Please? One of you wonderful cooks must know about this?
#3 of 6 Old 12-12-2004, 04:26 PM

I will use whey to feed the starter. I rarely refrigerate mine in the winter I just use almost all of it then 'start' another for 7 days then bake, etc.

When I bake with the starter I really boost it for a day. Starting usually around 10 am I will put the starter in a warmup up ceramic bowl and feed it with some flour, water and a bit of whey. Then I repeat this process every 1.5 - 2 hours all day.

At the end of the day is when I make my dough, leaving it to rise over night.

Then in the am I seperate the dough into loaves and buns. Then I let those rise until that evening.

Then I bake.

So if I start boosting my starter on Sunday, I have loaves by Monday night.
#4 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, thank you! I need to get rid of some whey anyway. That's a great idea to feed it the day before baking. Thanks. When you leave it out of the fridge, do you leave it covered or uncovered?
#5 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovelife
Oh, thank you! I need to get rid of some whey anyway. That's a great idea to feed it the day before baking. Thanks. When you leave it out of the fridge, do you leave it covered or uncovered?
I've never made sourdough (yet) but I do plenty of baking with yeast. I usually cover yeast dough with a cloth- so it can still breathe but it's protected from dust/bugs etc. that might fall on it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#6 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 07:05 PM

Yup, What Ruthla said. I cover my starter with a cloth that I put on with an elastic around the rim of the canning jar.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page