Kefir during pregnancy--what do you think? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2005, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel silly now but until today I had no idea that kefir has alcohol in it!

I have had some from time to time during the past couple of months, but only the storebought kind. Sometimes I cook with it, but have been using it more regularly in smoothies lately. There is nothing on the store container about alcohol content. So maybe it is so miniscule they don't have to list it? I don't want to freak out but I'm a little worried.

Now I have grains and am starting to make my own, but I'm concerned. Should I not be drinking this during pregnancy and just stick with yogurt? I know the Dom site says safe during pregnancy, and cites some study (which is not available to read) from the 1970's, so I don't know. Is there a way to culture my milk to make sure there is not alcohol in it? I'm confused.

What do you think? Any pregnant mamas drinking the homemade (or store) stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 11:44 PM

I agree, it is safe during pregnancy and will probably help your digestive system, which usually 'slows down' during pregnancy. I ate yogurt and drank Kefir, and no problems at all. Had a 3 hour labor, totally natural birth, while talking to my midwife (having a conversation). Baby is super healthy and has to date, ten months old, never ever had a fever or been sick. Has 7 teeth and is almost walking. He also grabs my Kefir and takes drinks from my glass!

There are much worse things to worry about, like eating tuna or fish that have mercury in them, than the TINY TINY amount of alcohol in Kefir.

The amount is SO miniscule, as to not worry. If you are letting it ferment for a LONG LONG time, maybe you might get enough to 'taste' it....but if you are doing a day or two ferment, then with milk Kefir, it's really nothing to worry about.

The yeasts produce it as a 'by product' of fermentation, and with Kefir, the yeasts and bacteria are in 'harmony' and it is not like brewing beer or wine with 100% yeast in it for weeks and months.

I hope that eases your fears, and personally, I would say it's fine. But do what you feel comfortable with.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, that does help.

I was reading somewhere that the store brands don't even have the yeast in them, only the bacteria cultures, so they wouldn't have alcohol anyway. I will just ferment a little shorter than usual, I think.

Thank you again and thanks for the grains!

User Tag List