Kefir question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-25-2005, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, kefir experts. If kefir is properly fermented with the grains I hear so much about, what's with the culture packets I see advertised? Is it a different varient on kefir?

thank you!
#2 of 7 Old 01-26-2005, 02:02 PM

Here is the diff:

A Kefir Grain is a soft rubbery, squishy califlower looking mass that contains many different bacteria and yeasts and it is an actual S.C.O.B.Y (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeasts) and is the actual 'living' thing, that can last a lifetime if properly cared for. It will reproduce and grow and continually be able to make 'Kefir' the drink without loosing vitality, if properly cared for.

Powdered Kefir starters are just some strains of bacteria taken from milk and dehydrated until you mix it in fresh milk, that will innoculate it and turn it into Kefir, the drink. It is missing many of the strains found in the actual 'Grains'. But it is better than nothing, and is more akin to a 'yogurt' type flavor. If you use Kefir from one of these starters, and save some for an 'innoculate' for your next batch, they recommend using a new fresh starter packet after every five batches, as it will eventually 'lose power' to innoculate it correctly.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion. I should make this a sticky...as I've answered this on alot...(usually in PMs, though, hehe).

I've tried both, and they both taste good. I prefer the grains, since I'll never have to buy anything but milk now.
#3 of 7 Old 01-29-2005, 03:16 AM

does anyone in the twin cities area of MN have grains they can share?
or can they be shipped (last time I asked someone was having trouble with the PO and shipping)
#4 of 7 Old 01-30-2005, 12:31 AM

yes I have been wondering where to get the grains?!

Any ideas?
#5 of 7 Old 01-30-2005, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Heather, great,thank you That's actually just about exactly what I guessed, but so many people seemed really hyped on the culture that I thought it might be something more akin to the "real thing."
#6 of 7 Old 01-30-2005, 03:30 PM

Well, the nice thing about having some 'freeze dried culture packets' is that you can make it up when you want it, and do not have to 'care for' the grains on a daily basis (or every few days, depending on how you brew your Kefir).

So they are nice to have. I have a box of Kefir and Yogurt 'starter packets' in my refrigerator (they keep up to a year from date) if refrigerated. They are a nice back up and the yogurt is a nice 'change' from all Kefir, all the time.

Regarding obtaining Kefir Grains. There is a link in several of the Kefir threads about looking up someone in your state, other than that, several mom's here have Kefir grains and ship to other moms for just the Shipping and Handling.

I'm currently super low on milk grains and it will be weeks before I can do another ship out. Go to the 'Got Probiotics - Kefir, Yogurt, Other Jan.) thread and ask if any mom has spares. I know that Ruthla mentioned she wanted to ship some. I know Gale Force usually has lots of extras, but she might be low as her DH is doing a dairy elimination and so her 'stock' might not be up enough to ship out.

Gem Cultures (you can google it) charges like 20 bucks, PLUS an $11 Shipping and Handling fee for the entire order, whether you just get Kefir grains or a bunch of stuff, so you can be assured the S&H fee us mom's charge (varies between 3.85 and 5.00) is worth the wait!
#7 of 7 Old 02-02-2005, 02:34 AM

i wonder if having a dairy allergey would mean that you couldn't tollerate kefir from dairy culture?
any ideaS?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page