So what happens if you swallow a kefir grain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
MamaE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Perpetual DIY-land
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yikes! I've done it a couple times now, just the tiny ones that sometimes slip through the plastic netting I use to strain it with. Will it pass on through or start a kefir farm in my tummy?

How about those grains that slipped into the drain last week? DH has been asking me about that - he's convinced they'll mutliply and gum up all our plumbing.

Anyone have answers? I know.... I need to more mindful of my grains. Tsk, tsk.
MamaE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-04-2005, 09:49 PM
 
MoMommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Missouri
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's okay to eat them. I think I remember reading on Dom's site that he actually recommends it.
MoMommy is offline  
Old 03-04-2005, 10:18 PM
 
xenabyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG you swallowed a KEFIR GRAIN!! Oh wait, that's a good thing

1) Well, as far as ingesting them, that's good because they are like swallowing a tiny 'factory' that will probably not only make it past your digestive juices in your stomach, but will allow it to find a home in your digestive tract where it will beneficially produce the needed bacterias RIGHT where they are most needed.

As a matter of fact, they are now selling something called 'probiotic pearls' in Japan (for a LOT of $$) that are basically gelatinous 'pearls' that encapsulate powdered 'probiotic' bacteria and you swallow them and it helps to get the probiotics past your stomach and into your digestive tract where it 'melts' and then puts the bacteria right where it does the most good. So you are saving yourself A LOT of money for a very high end product, and you have 'living cultures' in your grains and it's probably even more effective.

2) As far as your plumbing goes, the house's, not yours, they will not reproduce in the drain. As a matter of fact, lack of milk, hot water and then cold temps, plus chlorinated water will kill them and they will flush out like food bits from a 'sink disposal'.
xenabyte is offline  
Old 03-05-2005, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
 
MamaE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Perpetual DIY-land
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the reassurance! Looks like ALL the plumbing in our house is fine. :LOL I'll keep swallowing those little bitty ones, too...
MamaE is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off