Kefir genius mamas...now what do I do?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-04-2005, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My newborn has reflux and seems to be dairy sensitive....so as of 2 weeks ago I'm officially dairy free. What do I do with all my lovely kefir grains? Convert them to something else? Freeze them? I need my probiotics!!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 04-05-2005, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can culture coconut milk with them! Yummy. (Forget the "lite" stuff: shake the can real good before you open it, to distribute the fat, and stir the kefir both before you strain it and before you pour it out to use it.)

Also, grape juice. Ds & I fight over it :LOL It gets sparkly & fizzy. If you brew it longer, it becomes dry & more complex.
#3 of 15 Old 04-05-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Does the grape juice get alcoholic? Also, can grape/coconut grains be transitioned back to dairy if and when I can have dairy again?

eta: what should the ratio of coconut to kefir be?

Thanks!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 15 Old 04-05-2005, 10:17 PM

I would use the same ratio of coconut milk that you use with cow's milk.

The grape kefir will get a weee bit alcoholic. We've got oranges in season here and have been making an orange drink. Just experiment with proportions to see what you like. I like to leave mine in the fridge for a few days after I strain the grains -- it gets a bit more fizzy.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#5 of 15 Old 04-05-2005, 10:25 PM

we have a big yeast problem here, and I do eat some dairy (cheese, in my coffee, and in desserts) (my baby has reflux too...i should give it up...i'm rambling)

but with all my experience in fighting thrush as a vegan I had only heard of cultured dairy or soy. How do you make your own kefir? Can you make kefir out of breastmilk for babies and toddlers?

please enlighten me. I did NOT like commercial soy kefir.

thanks.
#6 of 15 Old 04-05-2005, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

BREASTMILK KEFIR!!! I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned, even here - what a cool idea! I don't think I have enough of a supply to try it out, but why not?

If you check out Dom's kefir insite page, he has directions for water kefir, grape kefir, and herbal tea kefir, all of which I'm going to try in addition to the coconut milk kefir. http://users.chariot.net.au/%7Edna/M...#Kefir-d-acqua I may also try using almond milk....

I am also going to follow his instructions for freezing and dehydrating kefir grains, to save some for the time when I can have milk kefir again....

#7 of 15 Old 04-05-2005, 11:53 PM

Oh, also: I know Xenabyte had said that the Dom had said if you use "milk grains" to culture grape juice, they'll do the job but not reproduce ... but I was looking at my juice grains today and I *swear* they've grown ... very slowly, but they've grown
#8 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Found this webpage too on non-dairy milk kefirs...http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/vegmilk.html

#9 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 01:17 PM

but what are the kefir grains? where do you get them? how do you use them? how much do they cost? how long do they last? how do you know you've done it right?
#10 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 04:44 PM

fst, check out the "Got Kefir?" thread in the Nutrition & Good Eating Archives.
#11 of 15 Old 04-06-2005, 05:46 PM

thanks. i will.
#12 of 15 Old 04-07-2005, 08:51 PM

...then when you say ACK, that's too much to read....

Kefir Grains are small, rubbery looking 'masses' that are made from a synergistic relationship of 'good' bacteria' and 'good' yeasts, that live together and when given a supply of milk to drink and 'culture' into a thin, yogurty like drink, with 'fizz', can live forever, if taken care of.

There is some question as to how they 'came about'. But Kefir has been around since the 'bibilical days' or longer...

Usually you have to contact someone with 'spare' grains, as they grow and reproduce and you will have a 'continual' and growing supply if they are cared for properly. There are TONS of mom's on here that have them and if you PM me, I have an abundant supply atm. Usually you just need to pay shipping and handling. There are sites where you can order them, but you will pay alot of $$ usually for them, compared to $3.85 to $5.00 for two day shipping, to ensure they arrive 'fresh'. (I charge $5.00 flat fee, to cover baggies, printing (I send a LARGE info insert with them), and two day air.

You just need (suggested organic) milk to keep them happy. Then you will have 'cultured' kefir. You can also 'drain' the extra whey out of it, and make a 'cream cheese' food with it that is super yummy, and cultured, unlike most store 'cream cheese'.

If you like, you can find 'Kefir starter' packets at your local health food store. However, it's just the powdered bacteria taken from commercially grown 'Kefir'. It will make up a batch, and you can use it to culture milk for 5 more times, but then you need to buy another more. So it you want to 'test' it first, you might want to try that.

Hope that helps!
#13 of 15 Old 04-07-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlndocs
Oh, also: I know Xenabyte had said that the Dom had said if you use "milk grains" to culture grape juice, they'll do the job but not reproduce ... but I was looking at my juice grains today and I *swear* they've grown ... very slowly, but they've grown

Heheh...aye. At first, the yeast component will 'swell' and they might be fine for a few 'juice baths'...but eventually the missing 'milk goodies' they need will make them stop growing/reproducing. Or so he told me.... But I think he was refering to 'milk grains converted to juice grains' that he'd had in 'juices' for up to a year.

But hey, plenty of 'milk grains' floating around here if you need more! A 'trick' to fatten up some milk grains that don't seem to be making the kefir 'fizzy' enough, is to do 'one' juice soak and then return them to milk soaks. This will help the 'yeast component' fatten up, and give it more 'fizz' factor.

(Ok, I got to get off this site now, I"m on the master cleanse and all this kefir talk is making me want to drink it and eat sourdough kefir bread!) :cry
#14 of 15 Old 04-07-2005, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

So if you're doing a yeast cleanse do you avoid kefir, xenabyte? I thought the yeasts in kefir weren't Candida.

My grand experiments in non-dairy kefir are underway! I've got a grape juice batch, a coconut milk batch, and an herbal tea batch (Dom's recipe) going, and I'm freezing the rest of the grains. Wish me luck!

#15 of 15 Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 AM

While we're on the topic, can anybody give me a "proper" ratio for grains to milk? I've been playing with my ratio, trying to see what I like. I have, oh, I'd estimate 3 tbsp of grains right now. I did about 3 c. milk last night, and at 24 hours it was of a good yogurt-y consistancy. I did a bit more milk tonight, we'll see how it looks and tastes tomorrow. I like the sour flavor when I make smoothies out of it, but my older daughter isn't too keen on it when it's strong. So, I'm trying to keep to a milder flavor. I wasn't sure if it was better to ferment it for less time or to use more milk to acheive that.

Thank you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page