What age for yogurt/kefir for baby? And, food suggestions for baby... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-13-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I've always heard you should hold off until one year for any dairy, and lumped yogurt and kefir in with that. But, recently, I've been reading folks suggesting starting those items earlier, at 8 or 9 months. Does anybody have any further information on this?

I'm trying to find things that Miss Anika will eat. She seems so angry that I don't share my food with her, but to date, she won't have anything to do with any of the foods I've tried to give her - egg yolk, sweet potato, avocado, banana, applesauce, beef (she went crazy for a bit of my pot roast one night, so I ground up a bit and mixed it with breastmilk... wouldn't have anything to do with it, but my cat loved it), broccoli, erm... some other vegetables, can't remember what all. Her sister was the same way about rejecting foods wholesale, but she never got demanding about what *we* were eating like Anika is.

So far, the only things that I think actually went "down the hatch" are a couple of cheerios (Purely-Os, but that doesn't fall trippingly off the tongue, so we call them cheerios )that her sister dropped on the floor of the bedroom one day... and a few blades of grass from playing on the lawn the other day :LOL So, I'm thinking she will like things that are more finger food than puree. Talia was the same way - never wanted anything to do with mush food, once she did finally start to eat, it had to be (very soft) finger food. Despite those two contraband cheerios, I do not want to start her on any glutinous grains yet. We have a family history of celiac disease. Does anybody have any suggestions for finger type foods that are soft enough that an 8 month old won't choke on them? So far, the only thing that's coming to mind is slivers of avocado, if she'll give them another try. Maybe browned ground meat, since the little bits would be very tiny? Crumbles of polenta?
#2 of 3 Old 04-14-2005, 09:17 AM

I'm holding off on dairy until after 2 because DD has shown a sensitivity to it through my breast milk, so I can't help you out with the yogurt/kefir Q.

Regarding finger foods, though, I used softly cooked tiny squares of potato, sweet potato, carrots, turnips, parsnips, etc. with DS. He also LOVED to eat cooked beans. He also liked to pick up other cooked veggies and eat them. Another favorite with him was small pieces of meats. I'd usually cook a stwe or soup and give him the parts without the broth. Sometimes we'd cool the broth and give him some in a sippy cup.

He hated (read REFUSED) all pureed foods and his sister is on the same path.

She's about 7 1/2 months now and will only eat banana with any sort of regularity. Even then she stops after about 6 bites.

--Kari
#3 of 3 Old 04-14-2005, 02:56 PM

You should wait with milk until at least one year but yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese and other cultured dairy are fine around 9 months because the culture make them easy to digest.

Here are some finger food ideas:

First Finger Foods

§Whole grain bread chunks
§Diced avocado
§Diced banana
§Diced soft, very ripe fruit (mango, peach, cantaloupe, etc.)
§Diced, cooked (very soft) vegetables (squash, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, or cauliflower, etc.)
§Rice cakes
§Soft crackers
§Well-cooked pasta
§Cereal “O’s” (organic, whole grain O’s with less than 4 grams of sugar per serving like Oatios)

I've found that cooked whole grains, especially when they are cold or lukewarm are are sticky. Brown rice and millet would be good .. .

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page