Feel the Probiotic Love (yogurt, kefir, etc) April/May - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 04-24-2005, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Annabel & MaMaLi: There are several mamas on this forum who ship grains when they have extras, usually for the cost of shipping. I don't know if there's anyone in Australia, though, & not sure if they'd survive the delivery time or what the shipping cost would be. MaMaLi, someone should def. be able to help you out, though. I would, but I just shipped all my extras out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 57 Old 04-24-2005, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info/answers!
Water grain and converted juice mamas...how long are you fermenting?

I may have some extra grains, well I think...how much do I need to keep on hand if I am making kefir daily?

Ummmm : is it wrong that my kefir grains are like a member of my family now? I caught myself talking to them the other day...
#33 of 57 Old 04-24-2005, 07:52 PM

I received my water kefir last week and am on my 3rd batch (just started today) of brewing. I noticed that this last batch seemed different though. Some of the grains are now white instead of translucent and all the grains are "crumbly" instead of firm and seem to be disintegrating! Did I kill them??? I will be soooo upset if I did something wrong.

Here is what I've been doing:
The first batch I put about 1/4 cup of grains in a 32 oz glass jar with 1/3 cup of sugar, a mission fig, a slice of lemon, and the rest filtered water (aquafina) leaving about 1/4 of the jar empty for "fizz".

The second batch I put in 1/4 cup of grains in the same 32 oz. glass jar with 2 cups of white grape juice, a mission fig, and some filtered water leaving 1/4 of the jar empty again.

The resulting beverages has been very slightly fizzy and has a "winey" aroma. What are they supposed to smell and taste like? Why are the grains changing? Am I doing something wrong? Heather, anybody! Please help!

Thanks!
Belinda
#34 of 57 Old 04-24-2005, 08:33 PM

Ilovelife thanks for your reply. If anyone has any they are ready to pass on please let me know.

Thanks
#35 of 57 Old 04-24-2005, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeautifulMind2
... and all the grains are "crumbly" instead of firm and seem to be disintegrating! Did I kill them??? I will be soooo upset if I did something wrong.
I'm pretty new to this too, but my water grains seem to be "disintegrating" as well, and I thought it was just that they are reproducing and the smaller grains are the babies?

I do seem to have more than I did a week ago!

I could be wrong... and in this case...
#36 of 57 Old 04-24-2005, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Ummmm is it wrong that my kefir grains are like a member of my family now? I caught myself talking to them the other day...
:LOL Oh Tofumama, i know what you are saying. When I sent everyone out those grains it was so hard to let them go. And it's not like I couldn't afford to give them away It is just so hard to part with them. I am so proud of myself for growing them. I get so excited when I see them all happily bubbling away (In my big jar of them you can see them bubbling up from the bottom. I could spend hours watching them :LOL

As for the disentgrating ladies, I am not sure what you mean by that. Mine have never turned white or crumbly. Maybe they are producing babies and the babies are falling off? Hope they are ok.

As for fermenting time I always seem to forget about mine and it goes for days, so I really don't know. I just experimented with a lot of different ones. Let's see, I have grape juice, orange juice, honey and ginger, and my kiwi and fig all going right now. I am about to change them so I will let you all know how they turned out.
#37 of 57 Old 04-25-2005, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

My water grains are definitely growing, some of them are pretty big actually. ABeautifulMind2, are you putting enough sugar in? My first batch was so nasty sweet b/c I put 10+ spoons of sugar in. But, I think they needed it to get going. Batch 2 was maybe 8 and much better, and the little guys are definitely growing. I've started to experiment with teas, I have a raspberry ginger going now, and a converted grain grape juice. Oh, and milk of course

I made the kefir bread from the archives...OMG it is SOOOOO good! Like sourdough.
#38 of 57 Old 04-25-2005, 04:17 PM

Hey, sorry I was away for a day or two, was packing my bags....I'll be in Topeka KS all the rest of this week, until Tuesday of next week (May 3rd). It's a wedding and resulting 'feasts' to celebrate....

So, the appearance of 'crumbly' grains or smaller bits usually is a sign of little babies. It sounds like the brew was fine. As long as the water wasn't hot when added, or highly chlorinated (tap water) you should be ok.

I wanted to say Aristocrat's 'babies' are doing wonderful! I definitely think her 'babies' were more 'vigorous' than the ones I got from overseas....they appear to be much more prolific (using same formula I always used), in only two "long ferment' batches! So I will hopefully be able to add to the 'water kefir babies 'shippers' list!

I have a 'three fig, 1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple, one sliver ginger, with 1/4 cup sugar (+water) batch going now. It smells DIVINE!

Someone asked about 'dehydrated ginger' a bit back, and I spaced answering it. I think the only way they sell dehydrated ginger is 'sugar coated' to prevent mold growth. I buy the organic, sulphur free stuff. Supposedly the 'sugar' they use is organic and 'dehydrated cane juice'. It just adds to the overall sugar content, so adjust a bit if it's too sweet of a brew.

Another thing with 'water kefir'.....if you make a batch TOO sweet, you can use it like a 'syrup' and add in a bit of sparkling water for an 'all natural' soda type drink! Sometimes I'll also add in the fresh squeezed juice of a lemon or lime to cut the sweetness and add more 'zing'.

I hope to be back online next week! Take care!
#39 of 57 Old 05-01-2005, 01:06 AM

has anyone made salad dressing with kefir?
I was thinking it would be a good for ranch type since it has a tang to it like butter milk.

how do you make cheese?
do you need any special materials?
I am hoping to make a cream cheese type spread and maybe a romano (? - the creamy kind used in lasagna)
#40 of 57 Old 05-01-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofumama
I made the kefir bread from the archives...OMG it is SOOOOO good! Like sourdough.
Could you please post the link, I can't seem to find it...
#41 of 57 Old 05-01-2005, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb215
how do you make cheese?
do you need any special materials?
I am hoping to make a cream cheese type spread and maybe a romano (? - the creamy kind used in lasagna)
For cream cheese style, you let the kefir continue to sit at room temperature for more than 24 hrs. until it separates (white colored curds and yellow colored whey). Then strain it in a yogurt strainer or cheesecloth to further drain the whey and create a creamy spread.

Kefir cottage cheese:
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kef...cottage-cheese

I think you mean 'ricotta' instead of 'romano'. Just use whole milk for a richer cottage cheese and that should substitute just fine.
#42 of 57 Old 05-03-2005, 04:17 PM

does anyone have any that they can send me if I pay them for shipping?
#43 of 57 Old 05-03-2005, 05:29 PM

Anyone want water kefir grains?? I am way way too many and it is getting rather tiring taking care of all of them!! Pm me if you are interested.

Stacy
#44 of 57 Old 05-04-2005, 01:19 PM

Well, I fasted my converted grains for a couple days & switched juice brands, and so far so good. No more yucky waxy stuff. So I think the grains are fine, but eww! about all that nasty wax, even in organic juice. How bad is the non-organic, then?!! YUCK.

Thanks for the info, xenabyte.
#45 of 57 Old 05-16-2005, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody still in need of kefir grains? I have LOTS and they are ginormous!!! I have milk, water and juice going, and I can't use the milk kefir fast enough. PM me!

xenabyte, can I freeze it?
#46 of 57 Old 05-16-2005, 08:03 PM

I'd love some! Do you have lots of all of them or just the milk? I think I'd like to try the water ones first.
#47 of 57 Old 05-17-2005, 09:56 AM

Ok, got a dilemma! I have been drinking about 8oz of kefir a day for about 2 mos. now with no problems until last week. I started getting severe stomach cramps within about an hour of drinking it. I also had a severe case of diarrhea for 24 hrs. after drinking it.

Well, I took a break from kefir last Wednesday until today, Monday. No stomach cramps. I had other dairy and no problems. This morning I made a kefir smoothie and bam, within an hour I had horrible stomach cramps. From what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong, please!) kefir is an acidic beverage. So I made myself some baking soda and water and drank it down. My cramps are gone.

Now, my question is, what is going on?! lol. I have never had a problem like this before and am perplexed. I have just been learning about eating better, ie. nourishing traditions and following more of a biblical based diet, so I am a bit ignorant on the effects of different foods on our bodies. Can anyone tell me what I should do? I do not want to give my beloved kefir up as it has helped me in so many ways (anxiety, weight loss, recurrent skin yeast infections). Do I have to take an antacid everytime I drink it? Is baking soda bad for you? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
#48 of 57 Old 05-17-2005, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

I only have extra milk grains right now. LMK if you want some! I'll do what everyone else does, $5 for s/h.

On an unrelated note...I want to buy a yogurt maker as my attempts at making yogurt without one doesn't work out for me. Any recomendations?
#49 of 57 Old 05-17-2005, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofumama
On an unrelated note...I want to buy a yogurt maker as my attempts at making yogurt without one doesn't work out for me. Any recomendations?
I have this one from Williams Sonoma and it works great. I'm not really one to experiment with oven temps or heating pads, I just want to set it and forget it
http://ww2.williams-sonoma.com/cat/p...e096&cmsrc=sch

I also found that a flat round 1 qt. pyrex dish I have fits it too, so I can make one big batch at once instead of the individ. jars.
#50 of 57 Old 05-17-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeautifulMind2

Ok, got a dilemma! I have been drinking about 8oz of kefir a day for about 2 mos. now with no problems until last week. I started getting severe stomach cramps within about an hour of drinking it. I also had a severe case of diarrhea for 24 hrs. after drinking it.
I have heard that this is relatively common but usually at first...
You are stirring up your digestive microflora and likely eliminating any bad bugs. Probably yeast since you are noticing your rashes improve. Yeast causes diarrhea. Also there are different kinds of candida. I would guess that the really tough kind are finally exiting the building!

If your kefir tastes the same I wouldn't worry about it being contaminated or anything like that.

I would cut down to a small amount that you can tolerate and then gradually increase it and let your body get used to it. Or maybe if you drink the same 8 oz but spread it out a little bit throughout the day??
#51 of 57 Old 05-18-2005, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

JaneS thank you for the link! That is perfect for us.

I am pm-ing you too...
#52 of 57 Old 05-18-2005, 10:16 AM

thanks for the advice Jane! I do notice that if I drink a smaller amount with other food I don't get crampy. Hmmm...
#53 of 57 Old 05-23-2005, 12:26 AM

Just want to get in the loop...new to probiotics. Gotta go get some sleep...

Aspiring midwife-mama to 2 beautiful homebirthed boys ages 3 and 6...
#54 of 57 Old 05-23-2005, 09:54 AM

Did everyone say that kefir was ok to freeze (as in you were making ice cream with it) I thought it was. I was thinking about making smoothie popsicles for my kids. Would this work?
#55 of 57 Old 05-23-2005, 02:43 PM

tofumama (or anyone else who's interested): I have been planning on listing my Yogourmet yogurt maker on ebay. It's in very good condition and I have an extra container so that when one is full of yogurt, you can get another batch started. You can make 1/2 gallon at a time, though there are instructions for making a quart as well. Here's a link -- it's the second one down:

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/yogurtmaker.html

The retail price for this with the extra container is about $60 (ouch). Watching ebay auctions, they'll skin you on the shipping. I'll take $30 inclusive of postage in the US (PPD) if anyone is interested.

FTR, I started making a gallon at a time in a cooler. We go through enough that I was tired of making half gallons all the time. Most yogurt makers make about a quart, so I thought the Yogourmet would be great for us, but it turns out we use a whole lot of this stuff.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#56 of 57 Old 03-07-2006, 02:53 AM

I'm interested if no one else is.
#57 of 57 Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I actually already have one and I loooove it! I will never eat store bought yogurt again!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page