my kefir looks icky... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-11-2005, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought kefir for the first time a few days ago, but didn't open it up till now. The exp date is 5/27 so I thought it would be fine. But it looks bad... watery with lumps. Smells fine, like normal plain yogurt. I should toss it, right?
#2 of 3 Old 05-11-2005, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

what's up w/ my kefir?
#3 of 3 Old 05-12-2005, 05:09 PM

It is probably is fine (but if in doubt, throw it out...) If the exp date is still good, it's fine, though. The only thing that I can think of that might be making it do it, is if it was kept at too warm a temp. This makes it more active and it will 'ferment' faster.

The Kefir is starting to seperate into 'curds' (the lumps) and whey (the watery looking stuff). You cand 'blend it' or stir it, and drink it...or at the least, bake something with it. Just use it in place of 'buttermilk' for any recipes you might have.

All cultured products that are 'alive' still will continue to ferment and 'seperate' into curds and whey, if given enough time....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page