Kefir and probiotics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-30-2005, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK I don't have time to read all the posts on kefir, so sorry if this has been discussed and answered already. And I'm going to apologize for TMI included below but here goes

While I was pregnant with ds, I had a yeast infection---pretty much the ENTIRE time! It was my one big pregnancy complaint. Never had one before or since.

I've heard of kefir, saw it at the health food store I go to, had no clue really what it was, so I read the OP about it.

Here is my question--would drinking it shortly before and while ttc the next one, and of course during the pregnancy too, prevent my one and only complaint about being pregnant?

My only problem is I know yeast like sugar.......and I can't eat plain, unflavored, unsweetened store yogurt. It's nasty, I don't like it. Period. Am I going to be able to drink this kefir stuff?? Or would it matter if I got the flavored kind?

TIA

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 6 Old 05-30-2005, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IME, if you don't like yogurt you prolly won't like kefir. However, what yogurt have you tried? I used to hate it too, until I started eating the whole fat organic stuff, preferably with a cream-top. Plus, you can always drain some of the whey out of yogurt to make it less tart and thicker.
#3 of 6 Old 05-30-2005, 02:33 PM

I love kefir. But if you aren't a yogurt person, you can take odorless garlic capsules to combat your yeast issues.
#4 of 6 Old 05-30-2005, 03:21 PM

I sweeten mine with stevia and alcohol free vanilla extract, it's yummy!

And since the homemade version contains trillions of probiotics, much more than store bought yogurt or capsules, I think it will completely elminate your problem... the key is to start early before you have signs to let the healthy probiotics crowd out the yeast before it grows and then is even harder to get rid of.
#5 of 6 Old 05-30-2005, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I sweeten mine with stevia and alcohol free vanilla extract, it's yummy!

WHERE do you get alcohol free vanilla? And what is stevia? Heard of it but never where to get it or exactly what it is.

the key is to start early before you have signs to let the healthy probiotics crowd out the yeast before it grows and then is even harder to get rid of.
that's why I thought if I started it while I'm TTC. One of the first symptoms of pregnancy with my son (hate that 'symptoms' thing, pregnancy is not a disease, but I don't know how else to put it) was a yeast infection. But I attributed that and the tiredness to a sinus infection I had at the same time and was on antibiotics for. Never mind the fact I'd NEVER gotten a y. infection from antibiotics before....
So I thought MAYBE if I started something preventitive while TTC I could avoid it this time entirely!

(I also craved sweets BIG TIME throughout my pregnancy, and now I think that was the yeast as well.....they LIKE sweets)

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#6 of 6 Old 05-30-2005, 05:21 PM

Stevia and alcohol free vanilla extract can be found at health food stores or online.

http://www.stevia.net/
http://www.flavorchem.com/spiceryshoppe/nonalc.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page