kefir questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-26-2005, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all- I was at the health food store and discovered Yogourmets kefir starter. Since I make yogurt on a regular basis I decided to give kefir a try.
I followed the directions but added a little bit of sugar and vanilla beans. (basically my yogurt recipe I do) I placed on the counter and then went about my day. Approx. eight hours later I checked on it and it was pretty thick so I stuck it in the fridge. The instructions said it would take 24 hours. I drank some this morning and found it to be very very thick but delicious. Is this thickness normal?? I was in the eighties in my house yesterday. Should I try to find a cooler place for the incubation?

From reading other posts I am gathering that this starter is not the grains. Will I be able to grow my own grains from this starter?

Can I use some of the Kefir I made as starter for the next batch like I do for yogurt? Can I freeze the starter portions- say in an ice cube tray like I do with my yogurt starter?

TIA for your help!
#2 of 3 Old 06-27-2005, 02:31 AM
cjr

As far as I know you can not use it to start another batch. I know that Bodyology's kefir starter you can use the kefir to start a new batch, but I don't believe you can with yogourmet.

Kefir should develope curds when it's finished. I have only used live kefir grains and I would get a definate seperation. Then I would mix it up and it would be thinner than yoghurt. However, I too bought yogourmet kefir started and started a batch on Friday. I let it go until this morning and still didn't get seperation. I used goat milk and it's not too thick, but goat milk produces a softer yoghurt so I'm not surprised. This batch of kefir smelled more sour than yeasty which is what my live kefir grains smelled like (which may explain the problems I had with candida and live kefir grains).

However, because it was warm in your home it may have speeded up the process. You might want to experiment and let it go longer to see what would happen. You won't ruin it by leaving it out. If you've left it out too long you will get kefir cheese and whey.

You won't be able to grow your own grains from the kefir starter. The starter is essentially the bacteria and yeast found in the live grains, plus some freeze dried grains. The freeze dried grains are not alive so they won't reproduce new kefir grains.
#3 of 3 Old 06-28-2005, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

cjr- thanks for the help!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page